Abyss (アビス Abisu?) is an alternate form of Zasalamel, and one of two final bosses in Soulcalibur III, the other being Night Terror. Abyss made his first and, to date, only, appearance in Soulcalibur III and can be unlocked either by unlocking Sophitia, Cervantes, Olcadan, Rock, Yoshimitsu and Lizardman and then defeating him in Tales of Souls Mode or fighting 725 times.
Abyss appears as a slightly skeletal figure with visible muscle tissue, invoking an undead and reaper-like appearance. His skull is bare and shows off two sets of teeth, the inner one having visible gums with his cranium being rimmed with teeth and two long horns on the side. Much like Zasalamel, he has a left golden eye. There appear to be torn skin hanging from his right arm, which mostly exposes his muscular tissue. His only clothing appears as three-layered pauldrons and tattered cloth of unknown material. The lower half of his torso is missing to display his partial rib cage and a black hole of sorts, the same magnet which Zasalamel used in his ritual for Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. The black hole is continuously drawing in energy particles and projects a strange lighting around anyone who gets near them though this doesn't appear to affect them otherwise.
Having absorbed the essences of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur into the jet-black world of the abyss, Abyss is an incarnation of true death. Abyss possess Zasalamel's abilities, but far surpasses all of Zasalamel's previous incarnations in every way. The lower half of his torso contains the jet-black magnet to the world of abyss, and is constantly drawing energy into it, and it's pull can be amplified to draw his enemies close to him, also dealing damage to them. Due to his newfound power he is capable of launching large energy projections, controlling his scythe through telekinesis, and is capable of manipulating gravity to attack his enemies. He is also capable of flight.
Abyss was created by Zasalamel's combining and absorbing of the two swords, Soul Edge and Soul Calibur, into his body as a method of obtaining true death.
He hid behind the scenes during the battle between the cursed sword and the spirit sword, appearing only when their powers reached their zenith. Then, using a secret art, he connected his body to the world of the abyss and created a jet-black magnet that absorbed all forms of energy. His plan was to use this to draw out the essences of the two swords and take them into his body. The unexpected result was his transformation into Abyss, an existence that surpassed all of Zasalamel's previous incarnations and an apparent loss of control over his actions as another, unexplained force began to take control causing him to instantly attack the player which sorts into an Input.
- Note: Non-Canon material starts here
- Note: Non-Canon material ends here
Input: The character reacts faster, and blocks the hit with the weapon equipped (with the exceptions of Rock and Olcadan), causing it to shatter. Nothing changes during the fight.
- Note: If the player uses Siegfried, Kilik, Talim, Xianghua, or Sophitia, Abyss will throw Soul Calibur, and the player will use it instead of their original weapon. If the player uses Tira, Astaroth, Nightmare, Cervantes or Lizardman, Abyss will throw Soul Edge.
Nightmare and Siegfried then fought against Abyss together and defeated him, releasing Soul Calibur and Soul Edge's essences from the jet-black abyss, thus returning them to the swords, and reverting Abyss back into Zasalamel.
Being a more powerful version of Zasalamel, Abyss primarily uses his style but he has a few added moves of his own due to the power he's obtained. Void Nova (A+B) involves the use of the jet-black magnet he used by drawing in opponents while dealing damage. This can be charged for even more damage and knocks them over as well. Cosmic Embryo (B+K) has him charge up energy in his hand and the start has guard properties. The longer the wait, the larger the projectile will be and at maximum power when timed right, is unblockable and is as large as most fighters. Gate of Kutoo (Charge 4, B+K) has him float in the air with his weapon spinning in front of him before firing it at the opponent, has decent range and is unblockable. Lastly, he has an additional throw called Fatal Gravity which he uses to slam the opponent through means of gravity or telekinesis. Abyss' weapons cannot be used for Custom Characters.
- You who would stand against me... prepare to die!
- Allow me to teach you... the meaning of true fear.
- You shall have a taste... of my power!
- Your very sight irritates me... disappear!
- Let the power of hellfire... sink into your soul.
- This is absurd... I shall break you like a twig.
- Your end is here.
- Such... fragile existence.
- Those eyes... it looks like I must destroy you.
- Time to die!
- Futile effort!
- It's over.
- You fool!
- Are you ready?
- It won't work.
- Playtime... is over!
- May you sleep... for eternity!
- Hahahaha... So frail! - Taunt
- I lost... How could I lose?
- Abyss is the first character in the Soul series to wield both the powers of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur.
- Abyss has a similar appearance to the classic depictions of the Grim Reaper.
- Abyss shares the same name and weapon as an enemy from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening .
- Some of Abyss' lines are alternate versions of Zasalamel's, e.g. "Let the power of my words/hellfire...sink into your soul!"
- For some reason, Talim appears as a Destined Battle if the player selects Abyss in Quick Play Mode, despite not having any obvious storyline connections to each other.
- Though the circumstances denies this, one of the resolution art (bought at the Items Shop) of Abyss shows that there may be another kind of Abyss' species.
- Abyss's quote, "You who would stand against me...prepare to die!" is almost always cut off when the player is about to fight him, cutting off right before he says 'die'. Some of his other lines also has this happen, this could be that his lines take too long to say before his intro ends.
- He is the only playable standard character that cannot be selected in Tales Of Soul mode. A possible reason for this is that if he was selectable in this mode, it would have contradicted the canon as it is impossible for him to already exist since the beginning of Soulcalibur IIIs story.
- He is the only playable character in Soulcalibur III to have only two weapons. The other standard characters each have 8 weapons and the bonus characters each have 6-8 weapons.
- Abyss' weapon Irkalla can be obtained in both Soulcalibur III and Soulcalibur IV.
- Although he's not present, he could possibly be created in character creation mode using the "Voodoo" equipment which strongly resembles Abyss's parts, & the weapon.
- In Tower of Souls, one of Zasalamel's quotes before fighting the player is, "You who would stand against me, prepare to die!", another reference to Abyss.
- Though not making an appearance, several references to Abyss can be found
- Zasalamel's Soul Charge grants him the exclusive attacks used by Abyss.
- He mentions "his abyss" numerous times in his battle quotes.
- In a quest in Libra of Soul, the Conduit glimpses a vision of a twisted figure of what they perceive to be Zasalamel's true form. Additionally, his Irkalla scythe is also available as a weapon.
- Is the alter-ego of Zasalamel.
- Defeated by Siegfried and Nightmare, reverting him back into Zasalamel.
- Soulcalibur III (unlocked either by unlocking Sophitia, Cervantes, Olcadan, Rock, Yoshimitsu and Lizardman and then defeating him in Tales of Souls Mode or fighting 725 times.)
Universal Fighting System
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han-myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|