Aeon Calcos (アイオーン・カルコス Aiōn Karukosu?) Greek (Αίών Καλκος), sometimes known as Lizardman (リザードマン Rizādoman?), is a character designed for the Soul series of fighting games. He made his first appearance in Soulcalibur and has returned for Soulcalibur III, Soulcalibur IV, Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny and Soulcalibur V. He appears in Soulcalibur VI as an non-playable supporting character, referred to as "Lizardman Chief". Over the course of the series, his weapons of choice have been changed multiple times. In Soulcalibur he wielded a short sword and a shield, in Soulcalibur III and IV a hand axe and a shield, to finally wielding dual hand axes in Soulcalibur V.
What lies in his soul is Resentment.
In Soulcalibur V's promotional material he is referred as Creature of Sin.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Biography (Original Timeline)
- 3 Biography (New Timeline)
- 4 Endings
- 5 Weapons
- 6 Critical Finish
- 7 Critical Edge
- 8 Stages
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Relationships
- 11 Soulcalibur Manga Comic
- 12 Series Appearances
- 13 Gallery
In his first appearance, Aeon had taken on the form of a humanoid lizard-like creature with yellow scales and red and black highlights. His only clothing was an armored breastplate, arm bands and shin guards. Upon returning in Soulcalibur III, his appearance transformed drastically, resembling an iguana-like creature with feathers growing out of various parts of his body, including his tail bangs of hair on the sides of his head and his scales have changed to a cyan color. He had long since discarded his Greek armor in favor of war-oriented gear. By this time, while he had retained his general fighting style, he replaced his holy weapons with another shield and an axe.
In Soulcalibur IV, he changes again to resemble something like a frilled-neck lizard with fins growing out of his legs, spine and tail areas and his scales have changed into a combination of beige and purple. Upon his return in Soulcalibur V, he turns into a form similar to the one in Soulcalibur III, but gains a drastic change in the form of a pair fully grown and functional wings to complete a more raptor/bird like appearance. However, due to the added fact that he is now referred to by his real name may indicate much more than a physical transformation.
Aeon appears in Soulcalibur VI as a non-playable supporting character in Astaroth's Chronicle of Soul, where he's referred to as the Lizardman Chief. His appearance resembles that of his original Soulcalibur depiction, once again wielding a sword and shield, but with orange-brown scales and small horns on the sides of his head.
Biography (Original Timeline)
The Spartan soldier, Aeon Calcos, like Sophitia, was one of the twenty-four warriors to receive an oracle from the god Hephaestus to destroy Soul Edge–one for every letter of the Greek alphabet. Armed with the holy Xi Sword & Game Shield forged for him, he set off on his journey. However, he became lost in a vast desert and eventually collapsed. A group of kindly desert travelers rescued a dehydrated Aeon and brought him to their village, and he was about to repay them by teaching them swordplay. He was unable to exchange their kindness, however, as the Evil Seed rained down and temporarily changed Aeon into a mindless killer, causing him to slaughter everyone in the village.
Kunpaetku, the grand priest of the cult order Fygul Cestemus, eventually heard stories of him and captured Calcos so that he may be used as a human guinea pig in a diabolical experiment, causing him to transform into a lizard —the first of many lizardmen to come. Calcos was ordered to bring Rock's adopted son, Bangoo, so that his soul could be stolen. The creature was eventually tracked down and defeated by Rock for the kidnapping, while aiding Astaroth in pursuing Soul Edge.
Soul Edge was struck down moments later, the energy emitted from Soul Calibur releasing Lizardman from his brainwashed state —although he remained in his transformed body. At first, he was not certain about his true self, but his sacred weapons reassured him, that he was once human. Initially, he wished to return to his home and family, but he realized that they will not recognize him in that state. Hidden from the world, Lizardman set out on a journey to restore his human form, but with time passing with no signs of cure, he fell into despair. As a last resort, he visited the temple where he was transformed in hope of finding a cure, but found only ruins. With his last glimmer of hope gone, he wondered angrily why Hephaestus had not helped him in his time of need. "My god has forsaken me," he thought, before casting away the sword and shield he was given, and, bearing a new shield and a war axe, decided to find Soul Edge and destroy the god of forgery with the very weapon he feared most. This would be his new resolve and the ultimate revenge.
Overtime, Lizardman slowly, but gradually, lost his human feelings and memories, until finally, even his own heart had become one that belonged to a monster. Before he knew it, other lizardmen surrounded him, and with his superior strength and battle technique he dominated the group. Soon, he became their leader, leading them on violent rampages.
But at night, he would have dreams revisiting the feelings and memories of being human. He didn't even know what he was anymore. All he felt was emptiness. Suddenly, he realized that he was missing his soul. As he wondered of what has become of it, another memory struck him. His soul was inside Soul Edge. He now searches for the evil sword to obtain his lost soul.
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- Note: Non-Canon material starts here
- Note: Non-Canon material ends here
"Why? he pleaded. "Why has my god forsaken me in my time of need?!"
In despair at the loss of his humanity, Aeon eventually surrendered to his beastly instincts: He walked on all fours and devoured anyone —or anything— that crossed his path.
Many years passed, until one day Aeon heard an inhuman voice speaking to him inside a cave.
"Devour all, and your wish shall surely come true."
From that moment on, the beast-man gained the power to inherit the nature of those he consumed. Each time he tasted the blood of new prey, his body and soul were transformed.
Gradually he regained the power of reason. Aeon searched the faint remnants of his memory...
"How can I regain that which I have lost?" he wondered.
But he knew the answer: He must feed on new victims. He must consume the flesh of holy warriors...
Biography (New Timeline)
Lizardman Chief, a former Spartan warrior, joins Schwarzstrom.
Inferno disappeared into the infinite darkness with countless lost souls. The overwhelming power, the pure insanity, and the temptation for destruction...
Injured during the violent struggle, Lizardman devoted himself to madness. With a hideous roar, Lizardman expressed his lust for more destruction and carnage.
Other monstrous abominations gathered under the moonlight as if summoned by his roar. And so the cold-blooded legion led by Lizardman began their hunt for the next prey...
Lizardman debates whether to claim Soul Edge or Soul Calibur.
Input Ending Lizardman throws Soul Edge aside and decides to keep Soul Calibur. The screen then fades to a village. Two men are seen talking about the village and how a "monster" protects it. Lizardman, now wearing a crown, jumps down from the top of a building with Soul Calibur in his hand and scares the two men. The screen then fades to black once more, but this time showing four lizardmen dancing around, happy to be victorious. The crown suggests he has become their king.
No Input Ending Lizardman throws Soul Calibur aside and decides to keep Soul Edge. The screen then fades to a village. Two men are seen talking about the village and how a "monster" supposedly protects it. Lizardman jumps down from the top of a building with Soul Edge still in his hand and roars, scaring the two men as they plead for help.
Nightmare is defeated. Lizardman picks up Soul Edge and hold it up above his head while two lizardmen happily
jump up and down in celebration. A few seconds go by and nothing happens, so a furious Lizardman throws Soul Edge onto the ground. Soul Edge suddenly begins to glow, and suddenly, Lizardman's soul, in the shape of a ball of light, rises from the sword into the air. Lizardman, along with one of the other lizardmen, attempt to grab the ball of light, but fail. Finally Lizardman grabs it, but realizes his soul is actually burning his hand and begins to run about in panic followed by his lizard warriors frantically running in circles.
The text-only epilogue says that he has regained his lost soul, but no one knows if he ever achieved rest.
- Xi Sword & Game Shield
- Grudge Ax & Aya Shield
- Ktinos & Anthropos
- Hand Ax
- Soul Edge (Ax & Shield)
- Boned Meat
- Meat on the Bone
- Enstikto & Logiki
- Afterglow of Obsession
- Bandit's Ax
- The Ancient (Lizardman)
- The Master (Aeon)
Drilling Tornado: Lizardman spins on his side, slashing the opponent with ax and shield, then jumps in the air and performs several spinning hits on the head to finish them off.
His critical finish on Yoda is his unblockable rolling attack.
Devourer of God: Aeon forward rolls into his opponent along the ground and then flies into the air and breathes fire on the downed opponent.
- Kunpaetku Shrine (SC)
- Silk Road Ruin (SC3)
- Palgaea Shrine - Ruins (SC3:AE)
- Kunpaetku Shrine - Dream Remnants (SC4)
- Grand Shrine of Palgaea - Sea of Decay (SC:BD)
- Cavern of Light and Darkness (SC5)
- Lizardman's earlier incarnations in Soulcalibur and Soulcalibur III, and his Soulcalibur IV alternative costume, more closely resemble a dinosaur. Lizardman's appearance in Soulcalibur V gives him the looks of a dragon, with his new fire attack and wings. Wings will still form on the backs of created characters using his moves and when performing moves which involve the exhalation of fire, the created character will simply open his/her mouth and breathe fire, as normal. His wings in Soulcalibur V appear/disappear with the performance of certain moves and entry into/exit out of certain stances.
- He is one of the characters to change weapon types. Also he started out as a right-handed character and became left-handed in later iterations of the game, only to wield an axe in both hands in Soulcalibur V.
- After some of his moves, he will briefly adopt the fighting stance of Sophitia.
- It is unknown how Lizardman's morphology changes so much from one game to another, or even from one costume to the other. The most probable explanation would be that only one of these appearances is the correct one, the other ones being non-canonical (or other lizardmen). There is also the standing possibility that Lizardman simply evolves and changes form at a rapid pace due to his initial transformation into his current state, but all theories have yet to be proven.
- Aeon, Link, and Abelia are the only sword and shield wielding characters who aren't related to the Alexandra family.
- Lizardman is known as the Jade-Scaled Terror.
- Within the Schwarzstrom group, Lizardman is referred to as "Base Vert".
- Sophitia can use Lizardman's sword and shield, but the weapon gallery gives no mention of Lizardman or Aeon Calcos by name. It does say that the warrior who used them met a terrible fate.
- In Weapon Master, one of the dungeons is filled with Lizardmen. At the end, the boss is named Calcos, the Oblivion Knight.
- One of the teams that often appears in Extra Team Battle Mode is made up of three "lizardmen".
- The Soul of Lizardman discipline is available to created characters of the Assassin class.
- In Lizardman's Story Mode, he is accompanied by another lizardman who uses the Meat on the Bone as a weapon.
- In Ashlotte's Story Mode, Lizardman follows her from that point on for some unknown reason after she defeats him, Rock, and Cassandra.
- Lizardman is now referred to as his real name "Aeon".
- His voice seems to have gotten deeper than the previous Soul series.
- Aeon's new stance and dual-wielding moveset highly resembles that of Kratos, the main protagonist of the God of War series and the guest character for Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny. Several attacks and animations have been directly recreated for Aeon's use, even the wings that Kratos could use for certain combos.
- It should also be noticed that he, like Kratos, is a Spartan.
- Aeon has the ability to blast a fire breath, similar to True Ogre from the Tekken series.
- Aeon's 2P costume is majorly a color swap (Orange instead of blue and blue instead of red) Also the color scheme is slighly reminiscent of Charizard of the Pokémon franchise. Charizard, like Aeon is a huge lizard like Pokémon known for using fire and flying attacks.
- The player cannot freely customize Aeon in creation mode.
- He is similar to Skorn from Blades of Fury, as they are both lizard-man hybrids with twin weapons that breathe fire and fly.
- Some of Aeon's moves are named "Turnus Style", "Camilla Style" or "Mezentius Style" ("Mezentius Style Grit Blast" for example). Turnus, Camilla and Mezentius are all characters from the epic poem "Aeneid", written by the roman poet Virgil.
- Defeated by Rock in Soulcalibur because he kidnapped Bangoo.
- Servant of Nightmare and Astaroth in Soulcalibur.
- Leader of the Lizardmen.
- Given new powers by Ares.
- In Volume 1 (Act.4), armies of Lizardmen rise during Nightmare's ritual.
- In Volume 3 (Act.14), Meimei was killed by the armies of Lizardmen.
- Soulcalibur (Unlockable character)
- Soulcalibur III (Unlockable character)
- Soulcalibur IV (Unlockable character, if bought him in Character Creation mode for 4000 gold)
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- Soulcalibur V
- Soulcalibur: Unbreakable Soul
- Soulcalibur VI (NPC in Chronicle of Souls)
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
|Soulcalibur • Legend of Soulcalibur • Soulcalibur: Spirit Sword • Soulcalibur (Chinese Manhua) • Soulcalibur Original Soundtrack|
|Arthur • Astaroth • Cervantes • Edge Master • Hwang • Inferno • Ivy • Kilik • Lizardman • Maxi • Mitsurugi • Nightmare • Rock • Seong Mi-na • Siegfried • Sophitia • Taki • Voldo • Xianghua • Yoshimitsu|
|The Coliseum • Chaos • City of Water • Emperor's Garden • Harbor of Souls • Hoko Temple • Kunpaetku Shrine • Maze of the Dead • Money Pit • Ostrheinsburg Castle • Palgaea Shrine • Proving Grounds • Shrine of Eurydice • Silk Road Ruin • Takamatsu Castle • The Adrian and The Fortress • Valentine Mansion • Water Labyrinth|