- "Hope only brings disappointment. I know this, and yet... I live, so as not to lose."
- — Amy
Amy Sorel (エイミ・ソレル, Eimi Soreru) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. She appears in the game Soulcalibur VI as the third downloadable character of the Season 1 Pass. This marks her debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. She is nicknamed Winter Rose.
She was released on March 26th, 2019
Born in the slums of Rouen in the French Empire, Amy grew up in a crucible filled with violence and cynicism. She quickly became resigned to her circumstances, convinced that hope was nothing more than fuel for despair.
One day, a ruckus erupted within the slums. Amy was on her way back to where she slept when suddenly a man flew out from seemingly nowhere, colliding with her and knocking them both to the ground. The man appeared to be a noble, and Amy wondered what business he had in the slums.
The sound of soldiers' footsteps filled the air. The man was being chased...
It had not been Amy's intention to help him, and his plight inspired no compassion within her. Amy's sole interest was to spite the soldiers in return for the cruelty their kind had always shown her, nothing more.
She got them to leave by making up a lie only a pack of foolish soldiers would believe. However, the man was still there, staring at Amy as though he had made a prized discovery. In all her life, no had ever looked at her like that.
He asked her name and, upon hearing her answer, muttered it several times before beginning to weep. He expressed to her his profound thanks.
Together with the man, who called himself Raphael, Amy left the slums behind. The wheels of fate had been set into motion as Amy began walking her path with her own feet for the been set into motion as Amy began walking her path with her own feet for the first time, now face to face with that which she had rejected for so long: hope. As Amy prepared to depart, she began to think back on how much her life had changed.
From the time she agreed to come with Raphael, she found herself living a life unimaginable for a girl from the slume.
She had to learn to wield a sword to survive, as they had no shortage of enemies. She was now expected to be educated and exhibit proper manners in order to fit into his world. She wasn't sure how much of his life he actually wanted, but it didn't matter, so long as he was by her side.
She wanted to catch up to him.
After Raphael left on his journey, Amy sensed that something terrible lay in wait for him. She grabbed the hilt of her rapier, "Albion." A gift from Raphael, it was her symbol of hope, and a companion she hoped would light her way along the dark road ahead.
But something was wrong. Somthing important had escaped her mind, now lost in a haze of forgotten memories, but its shadow was beginning to loom over their lives...
Quietly, she prayed for there to be hope at the end of both of their paths.
Amy retains her physical appearance from the original timeline, with her small stature, red hair and green eyes.
Amy retains her cold demeanor from the original timeline, caring only for Raphael. Her voice indicates that she rarely shows emotions when not near Raphael.
Despite her cynical worldview, Amy finds happiness once she is raised and nourished by Raphael. She herself is shown to be worried of Raphael's well-being to the point she would embark on her journey to find him. Amy is shown to be weary of Azwel's motives, given that he manipulated her father into finding Soul Edge. Additionally, Amy is easily vexed by Azwel's flamboyant and pompous mannerisms, as shown in her dialogues when fighting him.
Amy's primary outfit, ever since her adoption by Raphael, consists of a plum and black gothic Lolita outfit, which consists of a black corset and skirt underneath a plum dress. She also wears black arm warmers and thigh-high stockings underneath black gloves on the hands and plum shoes on the feet. She wears a purple headdress, and her rose ornament is purple in this outfit.
Her Color 2 recolors the black parts dark blue and purple parts blue, as well as her purple parts white. She wears matching blue gloves and shoes, as well as a matching blue headdress in this color.
Her Color 3 is a reference to pink Lolitas since Amy wears a lolita-style dress. She wears white and pale pink, complete with white thigh-high stockings and arm warmers to go with white gloves and pale pink shoes. Her headdress is pink in this color, and her hair is recolored dark brown.
Her Color 4 is a reference to her alter-ego Viola where she retains the plum parts of the Color 1 costume but with the black parts recolored in the same blue as her Color 2 costume. She wears a blue headdress in this outfit, and her hair is recolored white.
Modified La Rapière des Sorel
This fighting style is inspired by Raphael's fighting style, although there are changes, such as quick attacks and usage of red, glowing roses to defeat the opponent.
Amy's style consists in a unique mechanic called Rose Perceptions. Some moves gain new extensions if she succeeds in throwing out enough roses (red or white) onto her opponent during the whole battle. Rose petals appears while performing some moves when a Perception is at max. Each Perception has its purpose, properties and new moves.
If Amy succeeds in hitting her opponent four times with a red rose, her Red Rose Perception is at max. Red Rose Perception makes Amy a more offensive character. Consequently, some moves will gain new extensions. Amaryllis Spin is faster and travels a longer distance. Some quick moves gain a new extension for higher damage.
If Amy succeeds in hitting her opponent four times with a white rose, her White Rose Perception is at max. Unlike Red Rose Perception, White Rose Perception makes Amy a more defensive character. Some moves also gain extensions. Her Biondetta, Merrow and Lilith parries trigger their auto-Guard Impact faster and, if successful in reflecting a hit, her guard gauge gets restored. White Rose Perception also allows her to more easily deal lethal hits. On normal circumstances, lethal hit can only be dealt during the second clash. However, Amy can deal a lethal hit during Reversal's Edge first turn if her White Rose Perception is at max.
If Amy succeeds in hitting her opponent eight times with both red and white roses, her Red Rose Perception and White Rose Perception are both at max. Doing this makes Amy an all-around character with improved offense and defense while also gaining access to the Rose Mystique Critical Edge.
Amy basically has three Critical Edge which gain new properties following Amy's Red and White Rose Perceptions.
In all of them, Amy spins and takes a few steps forward, proclaiming "Time for bed!" and drawing her blade back to the finger of her right hand. She then crouches and uppercuts the opponent with her rapier, flipping and staying upside-down midair in the progress. As the enemy falls, she starts spinning, hitting her opponent many times, showering the air with red and white petals. For the final hit, she flips right-side up and charges her rapier with red energy, saying "Sleep eternally." She stabs it forward, shooting the red energy in a beam toward her opponent.
Depending on her Perceptions, the Critical Edge will have different properties and visual effects.
Aléa Rouge: This Critical Edge is performed by pressing A+B+K. It deals consistent damage. If Red Rose Perception's at max, a mystical red aura will emanate from Amy as she triggers it and spins in the air. She will deal more damage as well as steal some gauge from her opponent.
Aléa Blanc: This Critical Edge is performed by pressing 6A+B+K. It deals less damage than the "Rouge" version but is faster by 4 frames, making it more useful as a punish. If White Rose Perception's at max, a mystical white aura will emanate from Amy as she triggers it and spins in the air. She will deal more damage as well as heal her guard gauge.
Rose Mystique: This Critical Edge is only available once both Amy's Red and White Roses Perceptions are at max. Not only does it get Aléa Rouge and Aléa Blanc properties but it also deals even more damage, making this Critical Edge one of the most powerful in the game. Rose Mystique is as fast as Aléa Blanc, heals Amy's guard gauge and steals her opponent's soul gauge while dealing dramatic damage.
- "Pain makes people talk." — Character Selection, 1P
- "Have you ever felt...despair?" — Character Selection, 2P
- "If I died... He would be very upset."
- "You want a fight? That's fine with me."
- "I see... But I cannot lose here."
- "Is that... truly so important to you?"
- "Raphael.. No holding back on me." — spoken when engaging a battle with Raphael.
- "That weapon... A Bird of Passage?" — spoken when engaging a battle with Tira.
- "You disgust me. What are you plotting?" — spoken when engaging a battle with Azwel.
- "For one to gain, another must lose... It's such a cruel world."
- "You care for far too many things."
- "The words of a loser... are meaningless."
- "Hope only brings disappointment."
- "I think I deserved a reward... Maybe some hot chocolate?" — Spoken after being victorious against Raphael.
- "Pursuer or not, this is where you meet your end." — Spoken after being victorious against Tira.
- "Goodbye... Now don't bother us again."— Spoken after being victorious against Azwel.
- "Unfortunately, it's time to end this!" — spoken when activating Soul Charge.
- "These techniques breathe life into me!" — spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health.
- "Curiosity... killed the cat." — spoken when activating Soul Charge on Azwel
- "I don't understand... That hair..." — spoken during Reversal Edge on Maxi.
- "Maybe you should sharpen your blade."
- "Great job... teacher."
- "I like moments like this."
- "Nowhere to run!"
- "One more will do it."
- "You're open."
- "You're looking smug."
- "Wipe that smirk off your face."
- "It's my turn now."
- "I've seen that move."
- "I think I win this one."
- "Don't talk so loud."
- "Go ahead, try me."
- "Time for bed." — spoken when activating Critical Edge
- "I'm going to shut you up!" — spoken when activating Critical Edge on Azwel.
- "Sleep eternally." — spoken in final hit of Critical Edge.
- "Had enough?" — spoken after Critical Edge
- "I live... so as not to lose." — spoken after finishing a round with Critical Edge
- "I will not be anyone's puppet." — spoken after defeating Azwel with Critical Edge
- "Raphael, I told you not to hold back." — spoken after defeating Raphael with Critical Edge
- "High." – spoken when performing Biondetta Parry
- "Middle." – spoken when performing Merrow Parry
- "Low." – spoken when performing Lilith Parry
- "Let's finish this!" – spoken upon landing Reversal Edge
- "Do you enjoy... pain?" – spoken upon landing Reversal Edge
- "You're not bad."
- "I will end this!"
- "Watch and learn."
- "En passant!"
- "Coup de grâce!"
- "En garde"
- "You... annoy me!"
- "Not a problem."
- "Here's a gift."
- "Wounded animals are the most vicious."
- "I thought that might happen."
- "How about this?"
- "What about this?"
- "I'm not shaking..."
- "I'm not afraid of pain."
- "Good luck."
- "So weak!"
- "Your back... is wide-open."
- "I won't let up!" — spoken when initiating Reversal Edge
- "It's over."
- "So predictable." — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "I was waiting for that." — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "How obvious." — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "I give up." — spoken after losing by Ring Out
- "Ridiculous." — spoken after losing by Ring Out a second time
- "It's my turn now." - spoken when activating Reversal Edge to Raphael
- "You seem happy." — spoken when taunting Raphael.
- "Filth!" — spoken when taunting Azwel.
- *sigh* "Your back hurt?" — spoken when taunting Ivy, Taki, or Sophitia.
- "If I lose, I'll lose everything..." — spoken after losing by Time Out
- "Hmph! How boring."
- "I know that look."
- "You look weak." — spoken when taunting an opponent.
- "Now you know... the meaning of pain." — spoken when taunting a KO'd opponent.
- "The sword arts are peerless." — spoken when opponent reaches decisive round.
- "One night... awaits us all."
- "I'm not done just yet."
- "Running out of breath?"
- "If you lay a finger on him..."
- "Dare...to dance."
- "I've had enough!" — spoken during Guard Crush
- "I hate defending!" — spoken during Guard Crush
- "Just you wait!" — spoken when KO'd by Raphael
- "Raphael...!" – spoken when KO'd by Azwel
- Raphael - Foster father and mentor, they met by chance when Raphael was on the run from the authorities.
- Viola - Alter-ego.
- Azwel - Enemy who assaulted her and erased the memory of their encounter.
- ^ https://koenji.uk/2019/03/soulcalibur-vis-dlc4-amy-has-been-scheduled-for-the-26th-march/
- ^ https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/amy-will-soon-join-the-stage-of-history-in-soulcalibur-vi
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|