- "Power, power is everything!"
- — Astaroth
Astaroth (アスタロス, Asutarosu), also known as Azr Ss Trzaous is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. He is nicknamed The Demonic Guard.
Astaroth, created by a cult who worshipped the Greek god Ares to locate Soul Edge, returns with his giant axe in-hand and a deadly attitude in tow. Swinging his giant axe with great strength, only the most skilled warriors stand a chance before Astaroth in the arena of battle. Astute opponents may be able to exploit Astaroth’s lumbering speed to their own advantage with quick strikes and dodges. Weak opponents should just prepare for destruction.
Astaroth is somewhat identical in appearance to his original timeline counterpart, though with dark gray skin and an exaggerated physique featuring a massive upper torso supported by rather average, if not thin legs. The scars from his core also stretch over to his backside.
Like his original counterpart, Astaroth is a psychotic and bloodthirsty warrior who relishes at the sight and sound of death, using any excuse he can to maim anyone in his way who aggravates him, which is most often. Unlike before though, the memories of fallen warriors implanted in Astaroth has given him heightened intelligence and clarity and takes great joy and satisfaction in fooling his enemies into thinking he is a dim-witted brute when in reality he is much more cunning than he appears.
Astaroth's clothing is similar to his original counterpart though his armor is a bit oversized in comparison. He also now wears a collar fashioned after a snake, the symbol of Fygul Cestemus. His second outfit recolors his armor gold and silver and his skin jet black with red eyes.
A giant ax forged for Astaroth. In the language of the cult who created him, its name means "Merciless Destroyer". The seal engraved on it bestows its wielder great strength and fighting skills. When Astaroth takes hold of the weapon, he lives up to the weapon's name with his insatiable appetite for death and carnage. His large frame allows him to dish out heavy blows that can crumple an opponent's armor or shield while simultaneously crushing their bodies and breaking their bones. The huge golem loves nothing more than hearing the dying screams of his victims; he and this weapon were made for each other.
In the language of the evil cult Fygul Cestemus, "Gyulkus" means "battle (to protect the temple)". However, it is unclear if Astaroth is acting with the cult's interests in mind or not. He was granted power during his creation by Ares, the Greek god of war, and the god remains the golem's one true master. Astaroth's fighting style is based off of the White Giant that Ares once observed, but the golem doesn't seem to care that his style is a mere copy. All that matters to him is how many people his techniques enable him to kill, and how cruelly he can do it.
- Final Anguish - Astaroth grabs his opponent with his arms wreathed in a smoky black and purple aura, slams them into the ground and vaults high into the air before spinning and slamming back down with the axe in their back.
- "Damn maggot!" — Character Select, 1P
- "Hehehehe!" — Character Select, 2P
- "I hunger... for your soul!"
- "Mmmgh! Die!"
- "I won't grant you a swift death!"
- "Is that all you have to say?!"
- "Putrid maggot! You're dead now!" — When battling Maxi
- "I'm done playing nice!" — When battling Ivy or Nightmare
- "Entertain me!" — Reversal Edge
- "I'll destroy you!" — Reversal Edge
- "I'm gonna play with you!" — Reversal Edge
- "We've had some fun times, huh?" — Reversal Edge vs. Maxi, 1st quote
- "All bark, no bite!" — Reversal Edge vs. Maxi, 2nd quote
- "That's a pretty nice toy." — Reversal Edge vs. Azwel, Inferno, or Taki
- "I'm tired of playing around!" — Reversal Edge vs. Nightmare or Ivy
- "You're already dead!"
- "You... will pay!" — Taunt
- "Damn! Lame eyebrows!" — Taunting Maxi
- "That was weak!"
- "Take this!"
- "Stay down!"
- "You filthy... maggot!" — Using Soul Charge
- "You insect... Know your place!" — Using Soul Charge at low HP
- "Off you go!"
- "Get out of my face!"
- "Let's go!"
- "Shut up!" — Initiating Critical Edge
- "Stop making... that noise!" — during Critical Edge
- "Still moaning?" — After using Critical Edge
- "Good! You're quiet now!" — After K.O with Critical Edge
- "Cleaning time!"
- "Weakling... Begone!"
- "Where'd you go?"
- "Stay down!"
- "You'll regret this!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "Worthless fool!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "Haha... Power, power is everything!"
- "Squirm, you filthy maggot!"
- "Your soul... belongs to me!"
- "What's wrong?! Give up already?"
- "Heh... Enjoy the afterlife with your friends!"
- "Seems you finally figured out who's stronger!" — after victory against Ivy or Nightmare
- "Impossible...!" — After being knocked out by Maxi
- "No! Damn... scum!"— Losing via time out
- "Damn! I lost to a piece of trash?" — Losing to Maxi via time out
- "My plans...!" — Losing to Ivy or Nightmare via time out
- Created by the High Priest Kunpaetku.
- Secretly serves Ares and Ker after the latter implanted him with the memories of fallen warriors, granting him true sapience as well as intelligence and perceptiveness.
- Partnered with Lizardman to find Soul Edge.
- Killed Maxi's crew.
- Temporarily allied with Nightmare and Ivy to form the Covenant Shield in order to harvest souls for Soul Edge and granting him the title of "Sinister Sable." (Dire Black)
- Distrusts Ivy.
- Defeated Groh and prevented him from interfering with Nightmare's plan.
- Slain by Maxi.
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|