- "Power, power is everything!"
- — Astaroth
Astaroth (アスタロス, Asutarosu), also known as Azr Ss Trzaous is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
He is nicknamed The Demonic Guard.
Kunpaetku, Grand High Priest of the evil cult Fygul Cestemus, oversaw the creation of a golem by the name of Astaroth in accordance with the absolute rule of their god—none other than Ares, the God of War himself. Imbued with the strength of the agent of death Ker as well as the martial experience of highly skilled warriors, the merciless golem was the perfect warrior to serve the cult, who lived according to a doctrine of destruction and rebirth. All too aware of his mission, the creature set out in search of the cursed sword.
After making contact with Nightmare, Astaroth became part of the Azure Knight’s group. Once the weakened Soul Edge has been completely restored, all the golem had to do was crush the knight and steal it. He set about gathering souls for the blade while protecting Ostrheinsburg Castle, at which he proved remarkably adept. Soul Edge was slowly returning to full power. Everything was going as planned, or so he thought... During Astaroth’s time in the East, he had attacked a group of pirates, but neglected to kill a certain one amongst their midst: Maxi. As it happened, it was against the tenacity of this very pirate that he now found himself defeated. However, as Astaroth was born of a god, Even so, his resurrection would take a long time...
While massacring Maxi's crew, Astaroth assaulted Kilik and had the Dvapara-Yuga removed from the monk's shoulder, forcing him to become Malfested. The golem retreated with the Lizardmen when Maxi arrived.
When Soul Edge had regained almost all of its power, Astaroth began plotting his rebellion when he encountered Grøh and stopped him from invading Ostrheinsburg, forcing the warrior in black to retreat.
Other Soul Chronicles
Learning that Ivy was trying to leave Ostrheinsburg, Astaroth stood in her way and revealed that she was a spare vessel for Soul Edge to host. After losing the fight, the golem retreated to deal with intruders.
Astaroth is somewhat identical in appearance to his original timeline counterpart, though with dark gray skin and an exaggerated physique featuring a massive upper torso supported by rather average, if not thin legs. The scars from his core also stretch over to his backside.
Like his original counterpart, Astaroth is a psychotic and bloodthirsty warrior who relishes at the sight and sound of death, using any excuse he can to maim anyone in his way who aggravates him, which is most often. Unlike before though, the memories of fallen warriors implanted in Astaroth has given him heightened intelligence and clarity and takes great joy and satisfaction in fooling his enemies into thinking he is a dim-witted brute when in reality he is much more cunning than he appears.
Astaroth's clothing is similar to his original counterpart though his armor is a bit oversized in comparison. He also now wears a collar fashioned after a snake, the symbol of Fygul Cestemus.
His Color 2 recolors his armor gold and silver and his skin jet black with red eyes.
His Color 3 recolors his armor brown and gold and his skin green while retaining his white eyes.
His Color 4 is a tribute to his original look from Soulcalibur. His skin becomes brown and he doesn't wear a collar.
Weapon & Style
A giant ax forged for Astaroth. In the language of the cult who created him, its name means "Merciless Destroyer". The seal engraved on it bestows its wielder great strength and fighting skills.
When Astaroth takes hold of the weapon, he lives up to the weapon's name with his insatiable appetite for death and carnage. His large frame allows him to dish out heavy blows that can crumple an opponent's armor or shield while simultaneously crushing their bodies and breaking their bones.
The huge golem loves nothing more than hearing the dying screams of his victims; he and this weapon were made for each other.
In the language of the evil cult Fygul Cestemus, "Gyulkus" means "battle (to protect the temple)". However, it is unclear if Astaroth is acting with the cult's interests in mind or not. He was granted power during his creation by Ares, the Greek god of war, and the god remains the golem's one true master.
Astaroth's fighting style is based off of the White Giant that Ares once observed, but the golem doesn't seem to care that his style is a mere copy. All that matters to him is how many people his techniques enable him to kill, and how cruelly he can do it.
- Final Anguish - Astaroth screams "Shut up!" and grabs his opponent with his arms wreathed in a smoky black and purple aura. He then slams them into the ground and vaults high into the air before spinning and slamming back down with the axe in their back, while saying "Stop making...that noise!"
- "Damn maggot!" — Character Select, 1P
- "Heheheheheh!" — Character Select, 2P
- "I hunger... for your soul!"
- "I won't grant you a swift death!"
- "Mmmgh! Die!"
- "Is that all you have to say?!"
- "Haha... Power, power is everything!"
- "Squirm, you filthy maggot!"
- "Your soul... belongs to me!"
- "What's wrong?! Give up already?"
- "Putrid maggot! You're dead now!" — When battling Maxi
- "I'm done playing nice!" — When battling Ivy or Nightmare
- "Heh... Enjoy the afterlife with your friends!" — after victory against Maxi
- "Seems you finally figured out who's stronger!" — after victory against Ivy or Nightmare
- "Entertain me!" — Initiating Reversal Edge
- "I'll destroy you!" — Initiating Reversal Edge
- "I'm gonna play with you!" — Initiating Reversal Edge
- "Get a load of this!" — Initiating Reversal Edge while low on health
- "Let's go!" — Initiating Reversal Edge while low on health
- "What? You wanna fight?" — Blocking Reversal Edge
- "You wanna die now?" — Blocking Reversal Edge
- "Useless floundering!" — Blocking Reversal Edge
- "Don't get cocky now!" — Blocking Reversal Edge while low on health
- "Ngh! You've got guts..." — Blocking Reversal Edge while low on health
- "We've had some fun times, huh?" — Reversal Edge vs. Maxi, 1st quote
- "All bark, no bite!" — Reversal Edge vs. Maxi, 2nd quote
- "That's a pretty nice toy." — Reversal Edge vs. Azwel, Inferno, or Taki
- "I'm tired of playing around!" — Reversal Edge vs. Nightmare or Ivy
- "Enough already!" — Counter Reversal Edge
- "So obvious!" — Dodging Reversal Edge
- "Idiot!" — Dodging Reversal Edge
- "You're already dead!"
- "You dug your own grave!"
- "You will pay!" — Taunt
- "Nrgh! That was weak!" — Taunting a KO'd opponent
- "Damn! Lame eyebrows!" — Taunting Maxi
- "That was weak!"
- "Take this!"
- "Stay down!"
- "Time to die!"
- "You filthy maggot!" — Using Soul Charge
- "You insect! Know your place!" — Using Soul Charge at low HP
- "Off you go!"
- "Get out of my face!"
- "Let's go!"
- "You wanna die that badly?" — during decisive round
- "Just give it up!" — during final round
- "Shut up and die!"
- "You look like a mouthful."
- "Shut up!" — Initiating Critical Edge
- "Stop making... that noise!" — during Critical Edge
- "Still moaning?" — After using Critical Edge
- "Good! You're quiet now!" — After K.O with Critical Edge
- "Cleaning time!"
- "Weakling... Begone!"
- "Where'd you go?"
- "Stay down!"
- "Stupid woman!"
- "Feeble reptile!"
- "You'll regret this!" — Suffering a Ring Out, 1st quote
- "Worthless fool!" — Suffering a Ring Out, 2nd quote
- "Impossible...!" — After being knocked out by Maxi
- "No! Damn scum!" — Losing via time out
- "Need souls..." — Standing KO
- "Damn! I lost to a piece of trash?" — Losing to Maxi via time out
- "Argh! My plans...!" — Losing to Ivy or Nightmare via time out
- Created by the High Priest Kunpaetku
- Secretly serves Ares and Ker after the latter implanted him with the memories of fallen warriors, granting him true sapience as well as intelligence and perceptiveness
- Partnered with Lizardman to find Soul Edge
- Killed Maxi's crew, and was later slain by him
- Temporarily allied with Nightmare and Ivy to form the Covenant Shield in order to harvest souls for Soul Edge and granting him the title of "Sinister Sable" (Dire Black)
- Defeated Grøh and prevented him from interfering with Nightmare's plan
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|