Azwel (アズウェル, Azūeru) is a brand new character in the Soul series of fighting games. He first appeared in Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. He is the main antagonist of Libra of Soul's story mode, and is nicknamed Leader of Humanity (人類の教導者 Jinrui no Kyōdōsha?).
Azwel is a man of extraordinary intelligence and a scholar in many fields, including history, medicine, war, and art. His studies about the history of humanity brought him to the conclusion that humanity would self-destruct through wars and other calamities. His genius was such that he became one of the twelve leading members of the Aval Organization despite the others acknowledging his lack of loyalty and the fact that he could easily betray them the moment their goals no longer aligned. His fanatical love for the people led him to enact a terrifying plan to save them from themselves.
His weapon is named Palindrome, a pair of gauntlets. The right gauntlet includes a fragment of Soul Edge, while the left one has a piece of Soul Calibur. Azwel draws his power from their memories of past battles, preserved within those fragments. While he appears unarmed, his gauntlets allow him to summon a variety of deadly weapons, which he can use with brutal effects.
Azwel is a middle aged man of average size with sickly pale skin and scar-like markings stretching across his body, many of which meet at the center of his forehead and shoulder length purple hair. When Soul Charged, his markings glow purple and his eyes a bright yellow, with arms covered in a red and blue crystalline material.
Despite his claims of wanting to "save" humanity, Azwel is a maniacal sadist who delights in psychologically and emotionally torturing his opponents.
Azwel wears a dark robe, the lower portion of which has several yellow tails covering the legs. Both his upper and lower portion feature an eye decoration. His weapon, the Palindrome, appears as a pair of golden gauntlets with fragments of the cursed and spirit swords embedded on the back of the hands. His alternate color recolors his outfit to white and gives him blond hair.
This style grants the unique ability to produce dual swords, a giant axe, and a spear-and-shield combination out of thin air. Not technically a fighting style perse, the combat techniques used here are a product of Azwel's "martial philosophy and theory," and the weapons crafted from a special device he made in his pursuit of "saving" the human race.
Beyond simple slashes and strikes, this style boasts a host of unorthodox techniques-weapons are turned into projectiles, and blades are even manipulated mid-air to fall upon a surprised opponent in one deadly rush.
Because an opponent has no idea what they will have a tough time anticipating just what sort of attack will come at them next. On the other hand, it requires intense concentration to create and maintain weapons, making it hard for a wielder to move their physical body while controlling them.
Once a weapon has been produced, it can be reproduced, it can be reproduced more quickly, adding a layer of depth that must be considered when forming a long-term strategy.
Understanding this is the key to unlocking a whole world of potential.
Palindrome is a pair of golden gauntlets each possessed of fragments of the soul swords, the left containing Soul Calibur and and the right, Soul Edge. The weapon was constructed not only help him understand the swords better, but to help him fight after an illness robbed him of his ability to use his limbs.
Through the use of mechanisms, carefully tuned waves are sent through the fragments. In turn, the data retrieved from the resonance - memories of past battles and wielders - are manifested into physical form, creating weapons out of thin air. The original prototypes of the contraption took too long to form weapons, making them impractical but a few improvements and adjustments allowed him to create several more weapons, including dual swords, a shield, an axe and a spear. Even in its current form, forming weapons is a slow and complicated process, but Azwel's ability to process and string information together allows him to manifest these weapons at high speeds.
"Palindrome" is a word that reads the same both forwards and backwards. Azwel's decision to name the weapon as such is unclear but it's theorized that it has to do with his ability to tap into the astral energies of the cursed and spirit swords, manifesting their data as text.
Practical Application of Martial Philosophy and Theory
In spite of his knowledge and the power of the swords, Azwel lacked any fighting ability and this would prove to be troublesome. To be able to use his weapons effectively, Azwel also uses the data (practical application of martial philosophy and theory) retrieved from the waves of Palindrome call forth the memories of past fighting styles, due to the soul swords essentially being information in condensed form. This gives Azwel countless forms of martial arts to draw from as he is tapping into the data collected by the cursed and spirit swords across history and using them to create an unpredictable string of attacks with his weapons that leads to a non-rigid style of fighting.
From Science, With Love: An extremely quick upward sword slash while in dual swords or Almighty mode. He then guides his two swords as they continuously slash at the airborne opponent before summoning numerous red and blue energy blades that converge on them and explode violently
I Shall Save Humanity!: Only available in Soul Charge. Azwel generates a burst of energy that launches them in the air, then proceeds to pull versions of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur from thin air and spins them around the opponent in a swirling vortex of energy before smashing them together, causing a massive eruption of energy.
- Chaos & Order
- Motion & Stillness
- Joy & Despair
- Imprecation & Exaltation
- Bias & Equity
- Aspiration & Tribulation
- Eternity & Ephemerality
- "Time to save the human race!"
- "I am looking forward to this."
- "You shall be sacrificed for the human race."
- "Disgusting! Your odor turns my stomach." — Spoken when fighting against Nightmare, Cervantes, and/or Inferno.
- "It has been a while, hasn't it? Are you well?" - Spoken when fighting against Grøh.
- "Let's take the stage together!"
- "Curtains up!"
- "You will not escape!"
- "What an original hairstyle!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Maxi.
- "You impure brute!"
- "I can diagnose you." — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Grøh.
- "Feel the power... of reason!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Hope... for humanity!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health
- "Can you stand the test?" — Spoken when activating Critical Edge
- "Accept this from me... My love!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "You passed." — Spoken upon finishing Critical Edge without knocking out the opponent
- "Excellently done." — Spoken upon finishing Critical Edge after knocking out the opponent
- "This is the savior's power!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charged Critical Edge
- "Now it's the time... for progress! Stupendous!" — Spoken during Soul Charged Critical Edge
- "Any thoughts?" — Spoken at end of Soul Charged Critical Edge
- "Consider yourself saved." — Spoken at end of KO Soul Charged Critical Edge
- "Stick with me!"
- "The final act!"
- "It's love!"
- "It appears I have grown used to my enhancements."
- "The curtains have fallen... on your performance."
- "You impress me. Shall we begin the experiments?"
- "What an interesting reaction. Thanks to you, my research has made advances."
- "What a thrill to see a human on the brink of death abandon their sense of reason for despair or hope! It is like the sweetest method to me! I could never grow tired of the human race!"
- "What a wonderful day! I have rid the world of an affliction to the human race! And with this... I am another step closer to becoming its savior!" — Spoken when defeating Nightmare, Inferno, or Cervantes
- "How irksome! I swat these bugs time and time again and yet they keep appearing! I shall exterminate them all... until humans look to me as their savior!" — Spoken when defeating Nightmare, Inferno, or Cervantes
- "Only real lives... have value." Spoken when defeating Nightmare, Inferno, or Cervantes
- "It appears the experiment... was a failure." - Spoken when defeating Grøh.
- "Interesting... specimen." — Taunt
- "You inhuman... monster!" — Taunt against Nightmare, Cervantes, and/or Inferno.
- "Can you... stop me?" - Taunt against Grøh
- "I refuse to accept this!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "What a joke!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "My performance was a tragedy."
- "How could I lose... to a monster?" — Spoken after losing to Nightmare, Inferno or Cervantes
- "The experiment... was a success." — Spoken after losing to Grøh
- "You missed."
- "Do not... hold back."
- "Sweet dreams."
- Former member of the Twelve with the Aval Organization before defecting.
- Saved Grøh from a life-threatening injury before secretly infecting him with malfested energy in his left arm.
- Infected Curtis with a shard of Soul Edge.
- Leader and founder of the Qualifiers.
- Killed Orzal.
- Slain by the Conduit.
- Though Palindrome is the official name of his weapon, none of his weapons' names are palindromes.
- Despite his weapon being his gauntlets, they are treated as arm parts for Character Creation and are not needed when his style is used.
- He is the second playable character to canonically wield Soul Edge and Soul Calibur's powers at the same time in some form, the first being Algol.
- Azwel is the second completely new character in the rebooted timeline of Soul series games.
- ^ http://www.fightersgeneration.com/screens2/sc6-azwel.htm
- ^ https://www.strawpoll.me/16500090 A poll refering Azwel's weapons
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|