- "Fear the name of the dread captain Cervantes!"
- — Cervantes
Cervantes de León (セルバンテス・デ・レオン, Serubantesu de Reon) is a character in the Soul series. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
His nickname is The Shell of a Proud Man.
Soul Edge was clawed back from the depths of history by the great pirate Captain Cervantes, who used it to usher in a reign of carnage around him as it manipulated his mind. Then, for twenty years, the sword lay dormant. It desired to be as strong as it had once been, but its plans were thwarted by a by a ninja and a warrior. When Cervantes was defeated, he was consumed by the fires of hell, and his body turned to ash... One day the new owner of the sword, Nightmare, came to investigate Cervantes’ corpse, but left without noticing the small glimmer of light emitting from the body. The cursed sword had once again set the terrible wheels of fate moving...
The great pirate Cervantes was able to revive himself. However, because he had experienced death one before, he needed souls to maintain his body and increase his strength. Killing strong warriors while steadily restoring his memory, he set his sights on his next goal—reviving Soul Edge, only this time so that it obeyed him, rather than the other way round. Gathering the sword’s fragments, he knew, was the means by which he could accomplish this. Someday, he would hunt down, Ivy, his own daughter whose life he had one spared, and consume her soul for himself. First, however, he would wait for her soul to ripen, until it was overflowing with unbridled power...
Sometime before the Conduit had their final battle with Azwel, Cervantes was on a massacre spree in Italy when he was confronted by the Conduit themselves. He fought them for their soul, but stopped when he considered their soul not “ripe” enough and left them. After their victory over Azwel, Cervantes ambushed the Conduit to obtain their ripened soul. But once again, he spared them to have them get even stronger later.
After his resurrection, Cervantes lacked any memories of his past - though he started regaining them at the same time when he begin attacking his own former crew member, which awakened his sadistic bloodlust and revenge. Realizing that he could regain his memories by killing people and absorbing their souls, he embarked on a killing spree, including on taking his daughter's soul at most part. Becoming obsessed with reclaiming Soul Edge yet realizing that if he did so he would be enslaved by it again, Cervantes decided to bide his time until he had become strong enough to dominate Soul Edge with his own will and become its master once more.
Cervantes wears a purple pirate outfit consisting of a purple hat, coat, black pants and gloves, and golden armor plates.
His Color 2 recolors his coat white, his hat blue, and his armor plates silver. The Malfestation marks on his skin also change from orange to blue.
His Color 3 is primarily red with matching Malfestation marks.
His Color 4 is dark yellow with orange Malfestation marks at the cost of his hat.
Weapon & Style
The fighting style features a weighty longsword paired with a dagger/gun combination, and equerries superhuman strength and skill to wield effectively. A forceful strike can turn the tide of battle in one fell swoop, while combos that utilize both weapons leave no openings for an enemy to exploit. The gun can be used to hit an opponent from a distance, blindingly fast leaps can close the gap and impale them, and inhumanity high jumps can be used to come at them from above. With such a wide range of moves, what is a challenger to do?
This style even utilizes wall to further broaden its rage of attacks, climbing and kicking off of them to lauch fierce combinations. Anyone bombarded by this style's many fearsome techniques will soon find themselves consigned to Davy Jones' Locker.
Acheron has been the pirate Cervantes’ sword since he plundered it from its hapless former owner, sometime during his reign of dread over the Atlantic Ocean.
Nirvana is a dagger whose hilt houses a pistol. While pistols of the time were still relatively unimpressive, shooting an opponent could open up a gap in their defense, allowing for a fierce follow-up blow. The gun dagger was a gift from the Italian weapons dealer Vercci, and symbolizes the twisted connection between the feared pirate and the Merchant of Death.
With his mastery of such weaponry, Cervantes is an almost unparalleled warrior. And yet he craves greater strength... But that should come as no surprise, because he knows first-hand how it feels to wield the forbidden power of the cursed sword.
Memories of Soul Edge
When Cervantes first gripped Soul Edge, the power of the cursed sword transformed him into a monster. Even now, the sword’s bloody memories flicker through his mind, and he can tap into them to help him control the vast energies within him. His brutal attacks with his two blades leave little room for his opponent to counter, and should they be knocked off-balance, he will strike like a viper with supernatural strength. This merciless fighting style was developed during his time under the sway of the cursed sword, where he pillaged and slaughtered without prejudice.
After his resurrection, he further improved his skills, and now Cervantes walks grinning through a sea of corpses, claiming countless souls wherever he goes. His final aim is clear: to once again seize Soul Edge as his own.
Casa de Leviathan: Cervantes elbows his opponent. If the elbow connects, he kicks the opponent then shoots the knees of his target before he slashes them up in the air. Teleporting above them, he performs his signature Geo Da Ray on the falling opponent, drilling him to the ground. The move does 19 hits.
- "Fear me." — Character Select, 1P
- "AHAHAHAHAHA!" — Character Select, 2P
- "So... you dare to defy me?!"
- "You're done talking yet?"
- "Let's see just how strong I am!"
- "I'll silence your incessant mouth forever!"
- "I missed you, my daughter!" — When battling Ivy
- "Know now that the gods are powerless!" — When battling Sophitia
- "You'll feel... this pain, too!" — When battling Taki
- "Taste... my power!" — Performing Soul Charge
- "Death...is yours!" — Performing Soul Charge at low health
- "Want to see hell?" — Activating Critical Edge
- "Souls... will burn!" — During Critical Edge
- "Sink down with your fear." — At end of Critical Edge
- "Hahaha... now to take your soul!" — At end of KO Critical Edge
- "You...are my prey!" — Taunting
- "Stay still, and let me slay you!" — Taunting a KO'd opponent
- "You dare defy me?" — Defending against Reversal Edge
- "I'll eradicate you!" — During Reversal Edge
- "I'll stomp you out!" — During Reversal Edge
- "Burn in hell!" — During Reversal Edge with enemy on low health
- "I will never perish!" — During Reversal Edge at low health
- "What cock-eyed hair!" — During Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Such a voluptuous soul!" — During Reversal Edge against Ivy
- "Vengeance is mine!" — During Reversal Edge against Sophitia
- "Time to reclaim my blade!" — During Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "Feel my pain!" — During Reversal Edge against Taki
- "Such child's play!" — Defending against Reversal Edge
- "You disappoint me!" – Defending against Reversal Edge with enemy on low health
- "You'll suffer for that!" – Defending against Reversal Edge on low health
- "My blood stirs..."
- "Take this!"
- "Get ready!"
- "Out of my sight!"
- "Right here."
- "What a joke!"
- "No mercy!"
- "Entertain me!"
- "You'll pay!"
- "Full throttle!"
- "I won't forgive you!"
- "No mercy!"
- "Taste... true fear!" – Spoken during Deadly Torrent
- "First classes!" – Spoken during Dreadnought Culverin
- "Not so fast!" – Spoken during Pirate's Tactics
- "Amateur!" – Spoken during successful Pirate's Tactics
- "Hurry up... and die!" – Spoken during Eternal Curse
- "Sink in darkness!"
- "No escape!"
- "Return to dust!"
- "Feel... the pain!" – Spoken during Cross Bone Divider
- "Wallow... in despair" – Spoken during Jolly Roger Hoist throw
- "This way!"
- "What?" – Spoken during Guard Impact
- "So be it." – Spoken during Guard Impact
- "Damn!" – Spoken during Geralt's Critical Edge
- "Absurd!" – Spoken during successful Guard Impact
- "Futile!" – Spoken during successful Guard Impact
- "I won't forget!" — After losing to Taki or Sophitia
- "You're naught but a vessel!" — After losing to Ivy
- "Impossible!" — Ring Out, first quote
- "It's not over!" — Ring Out, second quote
- "I'll squeeze you dry!" – Winning a Reversal Edge
- "Prepare thyself!" – Winning a Reversal Edge
- "Missed me!" – Evading a Reversal Edge
- "Where are you aiming?" – Evading a Reversal Edge
- "Sad fool!"
- "Fear me!"
- "Stop showing off!" – Spoken during Guard Break
- "That's unblockable?"" – Sppken during another Guard Break
- "Damn you, miserable wretch!" — Taunting Taki
- "Damn you, imbecile!" — Taunting Sophitia
- "Heheheh... My daughter." — Taunting Ivy
- "I'll incinerate you!" — Spoken when an opponent reaches decisive round
- "Stop wasting time!" — Spoken when both fighers reach decisive round
- "I'll feast upon you!"
- "I will crush you!"
- "You wish to fight me?" – During unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "Don't fool yourself!"
- "I'll consume your power!"
- "That's it!"
- "Cunning little thief!"
- "Now, you know despair!"
- "Fear the name of the dread Captain Cervantes!"
- "Hahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!"
- "Nothing holds power over me!"
- "Revenge is such a sweet fruit!" — After defeating Taki
- "Hah! Seems your prayer didn't reach Heaven!" — After defeating Sophitia
- "Yes! What a fine soul!" — After defeating Ivy
- "Hah! Tiresome pest!" — spoken after losing by time out
- "No! Not again!" — spoken after losing by time out to Taki
- "Not to this imbecile!" — spoken after losing by time out to Sophitia
- "You dare to refuse me?" — spoken after losing by time out to Ivy
- Father of Ivy; soundly defeated her at Ostrheinsburg
- Defeated by Sophitia and Taki
- Former host of Inferno
- Seeks to reclaim Nightmare's Soul Edge for himself
- Received Nirvana from Vercci
- Was mistaken for Ivy by Voldo
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Hilde | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|