Aiko Sutcliff - サトクリフ・アイコ - is a character from the Soul Series.
What lies in her soul is Perseverance.
Her title through the series is "The Crimson Knight", gained in the second game.
Aiko was born in a remote area of England, daughter of a Scottish battlemage demonologist and a Russian witch. She lived in a demonic village, which changed location frequently to evade unpleasant demon hunters. Soon she learned to fight and defend herself with her father; When Aiko was at age 12, her mother gets possessed by Dmitri, her cousin. Even though she was still conscient, she could not control her mind and body and murdered her own husband, using his axe. At 13, she left home and began to travel aimlessly, going to Greece. She met Sophitia and Cassandra, worked in the bakery for money and two years later left for Germany.
After spending all of her money in armor parts and decent looking clothes, she felt herself very close to living in poverty. No money and she didn't want to get rid of her armor set, since some of its parts are her father's armor.
What could she do? Of course, steal things and sell them.
From food to animals and even weapons, Aiko managed to get some good money, enough to have a place to sleep everyday. Besides her "side jobs" as an exorcist for foolish people.
After an year, Aiko sees her mother again. The woman looks tired, sick and paler than normal. This wasn't her normal self. She was possessed again.
After a long fight, she banished her own mother to hell and stole her family ring, keeping it to herself.
She also found the perpetrator; the man who caused all this himself. Dmitri, which was also part of the family, her cousin. Already tired, she could barely fight... And after being knocked out, she woke up after two long days. Sitting in a pool, a mix of her own blood and what appeared to be rain water, she found herself alone. Or was she?
Another man, this time much taller than her appeared and kneeled in front of her.
"Are you okay?" The man asked.
Aiko, scared, flinched and curled up.
"I mean no harm to you, I only want to help." He took off his black fur cape and handed it to Aiko.
After wearing the cape, a strong bond between the two started forming very quickly. The man's name was Max. Or at least that's the name he told her.
Shortly afterwards, she had heard of a sword supposedly with powers. Imagine just how much money you could get if you sold it! Even though Max told her multiple times this was not a very bright idea, she didn't care and went for it. Alone.
On her way, she found a boy. Blonde, blue-eyed and considerably smaller than she was, but with a sword twice his height. She decided to ask what had happened, and he seemed not to be well. He was quiet, but Aiko hesitated.
She came out the situation with a broken rib and a scar under her chest, but nothing else.
She decided to go after the sword.
Aiko didn't manage to get to the sword and just left it for whoever would be smart enough to get it.
Two years later, in a travel with Max, she hears someone in distress. The man teleports away and leaves Aiko by herself. After searching for the someone, she sees a man. Long hair, kneeling on the ground while staring at it. Two other men, seemingly enraged are shouting threats at him and now at the woman herself.
Aiko manages to make the men leave and approached the other one, who looks up at her after she insisted.
Big scar on the left side of his face, across his eye. Looked like it was made with a blade.
"What's your name?" She asks the man.
"Siegfried," he says. He was going to say something else, but Aiko interrupted him.
"You are no Nightmare like those people said. You have your own name." She replies.
Soon enough, they part ways. Aiko now feels like she needs to know where he went, and how he's doing.
A few more years later, they are reunited once again; But Siegfried is now Nightmare, under control of Soul Edge.
Both fight against eachother. Aiko faces death once again, being pierced by Nightmare's giant arm. He gets knocked down by Max and Aiko's ally leaves once again, leaving the woman there.
After waking up in a wave of desperation and confusion, she meets another man; wearing a blue shirt and all the rest of his clothes were black, including a cape and hood. First thing she notices before asking for help is that the man bears a ring which is almost the same as hers; Aiko questions the origin of the ring and he swears someone told him it was given by his mother. Realization hits her... He's her brother. They travel together for a few weeks and part ways.
After a few months, Aiko meets Siegfried again. For her surprise, the man tells her to leave. She insists in not leaving, but to no avail.
After Nightmare's death, Aiko decides once more to go after Siegfried. After much bothering and with Hilde's help, they reconcile. Aiko and Siegfried spend about a year and a half to two years traveling in Europe, seeking peace, since Nightmare was dead. However, Soul Edge still had Malfested around, which did not leave them alone for a time.
After the trip, both return to Germany. Siegfried is reunited with Schwarzind and his mother, who is ill. Aiko helps Siegfried to take care of his mother together with Salia.
Later, she joins Schwarzind, and a few months later she marries the man and ends up having a child.
Up to 24, Aiko was a stubborn and really annoying girl. Having left a little early from home, she ended up not learning how to be polite, also not knowing when to stop saying things. She was also very, VERY clingy. No matter the level of intimacy with the person, she would get very attached. She'd make jokes and give nicknames to everyone. Often teased others and things would not end up well for her.
After 24, she joined Schwarzind and became a more serious person. Jokes and taunts remained frequent, but only with other members and friends. No one but Siegfried (later in the story) knows she is half a demon, as it is easy to hide.
- "Come on! Do I look like I'm scared of you?"
- "I fear no sword, be it soul-eating or not!" - When fighting Nightmare.
- (chuckles) "Do you want me to teach ye how to fight?" - When taunting.
- "Awww. Such a waste." - When a opponent is defeated.
- "Do you really think I'm going to let you do that?" - When taunting.
- "What ye going to do now, cry?" - When a opponent is defeated.
- "Is that the best you can do?" - When a opponent is defeated.
- "Too slow!" - When performing a grapple break.
- "Goodbye." - When a opponent is defeated.
- "Now, what should I do with you?" - When a opponent is defeated
- "How does it feel to be defeated?" (laughs) - When a opponent is defeated.
- "Come on, princess. Let me show you that I can kick your ass." - To Siegfried, Soul Calibur III
- "I thought trying to kill me once was enough, but seems like it wasn't." - To Nightmare
- (laughs) "Ye still didn't learn, eh?" - To Siegfried, Soul Calibur V
- "Didn't mean to!" - To Siegfried, SCV
- (Hysterical Laughter) - When performing a Ring Out on Siegfried
- "...What are you?!" - To Voldo
- "Ew!" - When Voldo performs a grapple on her.
- "Don't you dare get an inch closer to me!" - When Voldo approaches her in a fight
- "So we meet again, huh?" - To Ivy
- Ostrheinsburg Castle - War (Soul Blade)
- City of Water (SoulCalibur)
- Lost Cathedral (Soul Calibur III)
- Tower of Remembrance - Spiral of Time (Soul Calibur IV - Broken Destiny)
- Ancient Citadel: Peacetime (Soul Calibur V)
- About her name being Japanese, despise the fact she's British, it's because before her parents became leaders of the village she lived in, a Japanese demoness named Aiko was the leader. When she left, Elizabeth named her daughter after the ex-leader.
- She seems to be heavily disgusted by Voldo. She is, by both his appearance and moves.
- She has sharp canines, which makes her (try to) maintain a serious face all the time.
- She is friends with Ivy. They share studies and tips about magic. Since Aiko's mother was a witch, they both share similar skills.
- Aiko, even though she is half a demon, her way of gaining money was exorcizing people and banishing other demons to hell.
- She oftens call Siegfried "princess" and makes fun of his height, irritating him.
- She was supposedly killed by Nightmare in the events of Soul Calibur II, when she got in a fight with him and he pierced her lungs with his mutant arm.
- She has the power to summon spiders, and her demon form reminds of a spider. The spiders she summons are tarantulas.
- She is, for some reason, really good at kulning.