- "You will be erased!"
- — Grøh
Grøh (グロー, Gurō) is a brand new character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new Soul series as a whole. He is the first Nordic character depicted by the series.
Little is known about the story or origins of this character at the moment. He is nicknamed The Agent in Black (黒衣の密使 Kokui no Misshi?).
The mysterious Aval Organization was a secret group with origins rooted in ancient times. They say the group came to be when a king used the spirit sword to defeat its cursed counterpart, and with his dying breath, entrusted them with both the blade and his unfinished mission. Each new generation has taken on the group’s mission to rid the world of “Outsiders”—those connected with the cursed sword.
One such member was Grøh, about whom little is known save for that he was a fearsome warrior. Though his fighting style is shrouded in mystery, he is believed to have wielded two swords. Some also say he kept a certain technique close to his chest…
Grøh is pale, young man whose hair is white and streaked with indigo. His left eye is scarred and covered with an eyepatch. The eyepatch has a glowing blue portion on it. His overall attire is grey and black, while the gauntlet on his left arm is indigo as well. Grøh's Soul Charge causes his hair to turn red and spike up, and his eyes to turn glowing red. His left arm is covered in scars from his wrist to his shoulder; these scars glow during Soul Charge.
Grøh is usually a taciturn young man who is all about business, carrying out orders and missions with unwavering conviction. Despite his standoff-ish nature, he is not without emotion or compassion for others, particularly his allies Natalie and Dion and later the protagonist of Libra of Soul and served as a hero and inspiration to Aval as a whole. His relationship with the protagonist of Libra of Soul is noticeably much stronger; while initially suspicious of them, he grows to respect them, ultimately revealing to them not only his longing for home, but his most closely guarded secret of possessing malfested power, entrusting them to kill him should he lose his sanity. While Grøh hates outsiders, he is willing to test them to see whether or not they retain any shred of humanity. Grøh's usual business demeanor fades away completely whenever confronted with Azwel, his quiet tone erupting almost immediately into seething rage and contempt. This anger manifests itself when Grøh willingly compromises his will in order to strike him down.
In the Good ending of Libra of Soul Grøh feels indebted and very grateful towards the Conduit for saving him and hopes to live by their example to use his powers for something other than simply completing missions.
His color 2 costume is white with gold accents.
Grøh is able to separate his weapon into two swords. He is able to teleport and to use shockwave attacks. Like his hair, his weapon trail changes color, from blue to red.
Chevalier Mal Fet:
- Aerondight Replica
- Ithnan Scimitars
- Blade of Equilibrium
- Twin Dragon Tongues
- "Understood." — Character Selection
- "The target is mine." — Character Selection
- "Do not hold back! However I will..."
- "My mission is what matters. Not you."
- "Outsider encountered. Neutralizing threat."
- "Try to resist... your inevitable fate." — Spoken when starting a fight against Kilik
- "All I have to say is, “die.”" — Spoken when starting a fight against Azwel
- "A storm is coming!"
- "Going anywhere?"
- "I know your game."
- "Show me your strength."
- "Take this."
- "Shift into counter attack."
- "Roar for me... Aerondight!"
- "Time for a test." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge
- "Come at me, outsider!"
- "That hairstyle needs investigating." — Spoken activating Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Pay with your life!" — Spoken activating Reversal Edge against Azwel
- "Get out... of my sight." — activating Soul Charge
- "You shall... be destroyed!" — activating Soul Charge on low health
- "You cannot beat... my strength!" — activating Soul Charge on Kilik
- "No... mercy!" — in Soul Charge
- "It can't be!" — upon missing a Guard Impact
- "Unexpected." — upon missing a Guard Impact
- "This won't happen again!" — upon suffering a Ring Out
- "Happy now?!" — upon suffering a Ring Out
- "Die, Azwel!" — using Lohengrin's Courage throw against Azwel
- "I see you are a threat." — at Decisive Round
- "Futile. Cease this now." — Taunt against Azwel
- "I have... the answer!" — Taunt
- "Wretch... What are you?" — Taunt against Voldo
- "Surely not!"
- "You cannot resist."
- "I thought so."
- "So naive."
- "You will be erased!" — activating Critical Edge
- "It ends here!" — midway through Critical Edge
- "Chevalier mal fet!" — conclusion of Critical Edge
- "Curse your weakness." — at the end of Critical Edge
- "Traitor!" — at the end of Critical Edge against Azwel
- "Atone for the sin of weakness." — at the end of K.O. Critical Edge
- "Extermination complete. Proceeding to the next mission."
- "Rot away. Your fate is decided." — Spoken after victory against Kilik
- "My information is sound. No surprises here."
- "Let order seep into your soul."
- "Begone. You are no threat to me."
- "You shall be judged... in Hell." — Spoken after victory against Azwel
- "You should be pleased I saw you as a threat."
- "I concede."
- "I did not expect this outcome."
- "You were the one."
- "I lost... to you?!"
- "Your existence is a danger..." — Spoken in Libra of Soul Story Mode to the Conduit
- "I am not going to win like this..." — Spoken in Libra of Soul Story Mode to the Conduit
- "Hmph. Win or lose, I don't care. I'm here..." — Spoken to Azwel during Libra of Soul Story Mode
- "...because I despise you. That's it."
- "The rest is in your hands."
- Azwel - His arch-nemesis, after betraying Aval. Before Azwel revealed his true color, he was once saved Grøh‘s live after his left side was injured and infected by the fragment of Soul Edge’s malfested curse within.
- Curtis - Best friend turned unwillingly victim after Curtis mutated into a Malfested, leaving Grøh have no choice to do a mercy kill.
- Ozral - His boss, murdered by Azwel.
- Kilik - His rival, situational ally and fellow Malfested victim.
- Chai Xianghua - Situational ally through Kilik. Appears to know that her Krita-Yuga has a Soul Calibur within.
- Nightmare - One of his worst enemies aside Azwel.
- Grøh is the first brand new character to be revealed in Soulcalibur VI, and the first new character introduced in the new timeline.
- He is the first Nordic character presented by the series. He's from Norway, which was under Danish dominion at the time the Soul series is set.
- His name features a Norwegian/Danish "slashed o" — Ø — though the name itself doesn't make complete sense in either of those languages. Like many other names in the Soulcalibur series, Grøh's features some mistranslations.
- His line "Chevalier mal fet!" is a reference to the book written by T.H. White, "The Ill-Made Knight", which talks about the adventures, perils and mistakes of Sir Lancelot, who calls himself the "chevalier mal fet" which translates to "Badly knighted knight."
- Grøh's weapon, Aerondight Replica, draws its name from Lancelot's sword, Aerondight/Arondight.
- In official promotions, Grøh's weapon is spelled "Arondight". The final spelling is yet unknown.
- Also, Grøh's fighting style, Aval dual-swordsmanship, seems inspired by Avalon, the legendary island in Arthurian tales.
- As the main story of Soul Chronicle features mostly the major default fighters from original Soulcalibur, Grøh appears to be replacing Voldo, who was originally one of the major default fighters in that game.
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|