- "You will be erased!"
- — Grøh
Grøh (グロー, Gurō) is a brand new character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new Soul series as a whole. He is the first Nordic character depicted by the series. He is nicknamed The Agent in Black (黒衣の密使 Kokui no Misshi?).
The mysterious Aval Organization was a secret group with origins rooted in ancient times. They say the group came to be when a king used the spirit sword to defeat its cursed counterpart, and with his dying breath, entrusted them with both the blade and his unfinished mission. Each new generation has taken on the group’s mission to rid the world of "Outsiders"—those connected with the cursed sword.
One such member was Grøh, about whom little is known save for that he was a fearsome warrior. Though his fighting style is shrouded in mystery, he is believed to have wielded two swords. Some also say he kept a certain technique close to his chest…
Grøh is pale, young man whose hair is white and streaked with indigo. His left eye is scarred and covered with an eyepatch. The eyepatch has a glowing blue portion on it. His overall attire is grey and black, while the gauntlet on his left arm (which supresses his malfestation) is indigo as well. Grøh's Soul Charge activates his malfestation, which causes his hair to turn red and spike up, and his eyes to turn glowing red. His left arm is covered in scars from his wrist to his shoulder; these scars glow during Soul Charge.
Grøh is usually a taciturn young man who is all about business, carrying out orders and missions with unwavering conviction. Despite his standoff-ish nature, he is not without emotion or compassion for others, particularly his allies Natalie and Dion and later the protagonist of Libra of Soul and served as a hero and inspiration to Aval as a whole. His relationship with the protagonist of Libra of Soul is noticeably much stronger; while initially suspicious of them, he grows to respect them, ultimately revealing to them not only his longing for home, but his most closely guarded secret of possessing malfested power, entrusting them to kill him should he lose his sanity. While Grøh hates outsiders, he is willing to test them to see whether or not they retain any shred of humanity. Grøh's usual business demeanor fades away completely whenever confronted with Azwel, his quiet tone erupting almost immediately into seething rage and contempt, ever since the incident involving the death of Curtis and the Aval’s leader Orzal. This anger manifests itself when Grøh willingly compromises his will in order to strike the said traitor down personally.
In the Good ending of Libra of Soul Grøh feels indebted and very grateful towards the Conduit for saving him and hopes to live by their example to use his powers for something other than simply completing missions.
His color 2 costume is white with gold accents, an inverse of his color 1 costume which is black and blue. The 1.40 update adds 2 more color schemes: His color 3 costume replaces the blue parts of his color 1 costume with red while his color 4 costume is olive yellow with copper brown accents.
Grøh is able to separate his weapon into two swords. He is able to teleport and to use shockwave attacks. Like his hair, his weapon trail changes color, from blue to red.
Chevalier Mal Fet: Grøh performs a unveil move on his left eye, and does a overhead slash, shouting "You will be erased!". He then throws his saber at the opponent, teleports on him, slashes the target with double sabers, exclaiming "It ends here!". Uniting the sabers and charging with his malfested power, he chants "Chevalier...", stabs the opponent and do a upward slash, finishing the recite "...Mal Fet!". The move does 9 hits and its an easy-to-use critical edge that balances versatility and reach. It can be used in air combos, and to punish enemy when missed an attack. This move is mainly useful for increasing combo damage. More notably, it deals increases greatly during soul charge. 
- Aerondight Replica
- Ithnan Scimitars
- Blade of Equilibrium
- Twin Dragon Tongues
- Primitive Cudgel
- "Understood." — Character Selection
- "The target is mine." — Character Selection
- "Do not hold back! However I will..."
- "My mission is what matters. Not you."
- "Outsider encountered. Neutralizing threat." — Spoken when starting a fight against the Malfested
- "Try to resist... your inevitable fate." — Spoken when starting a fight against Kilik
- "All I have to say is, 'die.' " — Spoken when starting a fight against Azwel
- "A storm is coming!"
- "It's over."
- "Don't move!"
- "Not a chance."
- "Fear my blade!"
- "This will hurt."
- "Going anywhere?"
- "I know your game."
- "You failed."
- "You are done!"
- "Show me your strength!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Kilik
- "Is that all you have?" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge against Kilik
- "Take this."
- "How about this?"
- "Maintain order."
- "Scarlet Sleeve!"
- "I have you."
- "Nuisance!" — Spoken during Morgause's Mischief against the Malfested
- "Rue your weakness! — Spoken during Sir Gareth's Zest
- "Gallatin Eclipse!"
- "Is that all?" — Spoken during counter Ascending Thrust
- "Crumble!" — Spoken during Dolorous Stroke
- "Order... must prevail!" — Spoken during Dolorous Stroke against the Malfested
- "Shift into counter attack." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge on low health
- "I shall end end this!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge on low health
- "I shall succeed!" — Spoken when winning Reversal Edge on low health
- "Roar for me... Aerondight!" — Spoken during Aerondight's Roar
- "Obvious!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Useless!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Time for a test." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge
- "Try to avoid this!" — Spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "Increasing speed." — Spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "Not quite!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "I shall not concede!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "Reckless!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge with enemy on low health; also spoken during Merlin's Counsel
- "Come at me, outsider!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against the Malfested
- "You shall not leave alive!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge against the Malfested
- "You will pay for all you have done!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "I have no information about this." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge against Voldo
- "That hairstyle needs investigating." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Pay with your life!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Azwel
- "Damn you!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge against Azwel
- "This is it!" — Spoken when winning Reversal Edge
- "You are finished!" — Spoken when winning Reversal Edge
- "Get out... of my sight." — activating Soul Charge
- "You shall... be destroyed!" — activating Soul Charge on low health
- "You cannot beat... my strength!" — activating Soul Charge on Kilik
- "No... mercy!" — Spoken during Brocéliande's Splendor
- "This duel is my mission!" — Spoken during Brocéliande's Splendor against the Malfested
- "Special attack!" — Spoken during Sir Garlon's Wile
- "Evade!" — successful Guard Impact
- "What?" — upon missing a Guard Impact on low health
- "It can't be!" — upon missing a Guard Impact on low health
- "Unexpected." — upon missing a Guard Impact on low health
- "This won't happen again!" — upon suffering a Ring Out
- "Happy now?!" — upon suffering a Ring Out a second time
- "Unbelievable." — Spoken during Guard Crush
- "Such power." — Spoken during Guard Crush a second time
- "Camlann's Lament!"
- "You outsider!" — using Camlann's Lament throw against the Malfested
- "Lohengrin's Courage!"
- "Die, Azwel!" — using Lohengrin's Courage throw against Azwel
- "Nimue's Embrace!"
- "Sire Balin's Swords"
- "Astolat's Echo!"
- "Go forth, Guilt Seeker!"
- "I see you are a threat." — at Decisive Round
- "I'm not done yet." — at Decisive Round
- "Futile. Cease this now." — Taunt
- "I have... the answer!" — Taunt against Kilik or the Malfested
- "Wretch... What are you?" — Taunt against Voldo
- "What? Is that it?" — Taunt after opponent's KO
- "Surely not!" — upon missing a Guard Impact
- "You cannot resist." — Spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "I thought so." — Spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "So naive." — Spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "You will be erased!" — activating Critical Edge
- "It ends here!" — midway through Critical Edge
- "Chevalier Mal Fet!" — conclusion of Critical Edge
- "Curse your weakness." — at the end of Critical Edge
- "Stand up!" — at the end of Critical Edge against Kilik
- "As reported." — at the end of Critical Edge against the Malfested
- "Traitor!" — at the end of Critical Edge against Azwel
- "Atone for the sin of weakness." — at the end of K.O. Critical Edge
- "Extermination complete. Proceeding to the next mission."
- "My information is sound. No surprises here."
- "Begone. You are no threat to me."
- "You should be pleased I saw you as a threat."
- "Rot away. Your fate is decided." — Spoken after victory against Kilik
- "You shall be judged... in Hell." — Spoken after victory against Azwel
- "Let order seep into your soul." — Spoken after victory against the Malfested
- "I concede." — Spoken when lost to a Time Out
- "I did not expect this outcome." — Spoken when lost to Inferno
- "You were the one." — Spoken when lost to Kilik
- "I lost... to you?!" — Spoken when lost to Azwel
- "Your existence is a danger..." — Spoken in Libra of Soul Story Mode to the Conduit
- "I am not going to win like this..." — Spoken in Libra of Soul Story Mode to the Conduit
- "Hmph. Win or lose, I don't care. I'm here..." — Spoken to Azwel during Libra of Soul Story Mode
- "...because I despise you. That's it."
- "The rest is in your hands."
- Azwel - His arch-nemesis, after betraying Aval. Before Azwel revealed his true color, he once saved Grøh‘s live after his left side was injured and infected by Soul Edge.
- Curtis - Best friend turned unwilling victim after Curtis mutated into a Malfested, leaving Grøh with no choice but to mercy kill him.
- Orzal - His boss, murdered by Azwel.
- Kilik - His rival, situational ally and fellow Malfested victim.
- Chai Xianghua - Situational ally through Kilik. Appears to know that her Krita-Yuga is secretly Soul Calibur.
- Nightmare - One of his worst enemies aside Azwel. Killed Grøh's squadron and caused him to become Malfested.
- Siegfried - Despite having redeemed himself, Grøh still remembers the atrocities Siegfried has committed as Nightmare.
- Grøh is the first brand new character to be revealed in Soulcalibur VI, and the first new character introduced in the new timeline.
- He is the first Nordic character presented by the series. He's from Norway, which was under Danish dominion at the time the Soul series is set.
- His name features a Norwegian/Danish "slashed o" — Ø — though the name itself doesn't make complete sense in either of those languages. Like many other names in the Soulcalibur series, Grøh's features some mistranslations.
- In actuality, his name is pronounced \gʁø\ (Greu).
- His line "Chevalier mal fet!" is a reference to the book written by T.H. White, "The Ill-Made Knight", which talks about the adventures, perils and mistakes of Sir Lancelot, who calls himself the "chevalier mal fet" which translates to "Badly knighted knight."
- Grøh's weapon, Aerondight Replica, draws its name from Lancelot's sword, Aerondight/Arondight.
- In official promotions, Grøh's weapon is spelled "Arondight". The final spelling is yet unknown.
- Also, Grøh's fighting style, Aval dual-swordsmanship, seems inspired by Avalon, the legendary island in Arthurian tales.
- As the main story of Soul Chronicle features mostly the major default fighters from original Soulcalibur, Grøh appears to be replacing Voldo, who was originally one of the major default fighters in that game.
- When Grøh fights Siegfried, his intro, victory and Reversal Edge quotes are the same that he uses against the Malfested.
- It is very likely that Grøh recognizes Siegfried as Nightmare, since they are the same person.
- Grøh is the second character to use his malfestation for good. The first being Kilik.
- He is also behind Kilik, the second character to have mastered its power.
- Grøh's nickname, "The Agent in Black", is a reference to popular series "Men in Black". All characters have "agent" in their nickname, as well as the first initial of their first name.
- It is unknown if Grøh is alive, depending of the ending of the Conduit in Libra of Soul. It is unknown which ending is canon.
- Grøh serves as the sub-boss in the Normal Arcade mode, and as the final boss on Hard.
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|