- "Mercy? I have none!"
- — Mitsurugi
Heishiro Mitsurugi (御剣 平四郎, Mitsurugi Heishirō) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
His nickname is Bodyguard in War (戦国の用心棒 Sengoku no yōjinbō?).
Heishiro Mitsurugi relied on his sword to see him through the turbulence of the warring states period in his homeland, Japan. However, with the revolutionary introduction of the rifle (known as “Tanegashima”) from abroad, he felt his blade as no longer up to scratch, and so departed for foreign lands in search of Soul Edge. Alas, he returned empty handed... While back in his mother country, he entered a tournament that saw him pitted against Tanegashima. This too, ended in failure, when he was shot in his right shoulder. The event nevertheless inspired Mitsurugi, imbuing him with an insatiable thirst for knowledge about fighting techniques, and in time he became a truly great warrior. All that remained now was getting his hands on a powerful weapon...
Hearing rumors Soul Edge was in the hands of a new owner called Nightmare, Mitsurugi once again set out for foreign soil. On his journey, he heard word of a mysterious old gentleman—Edge Master—said to have knowledge of Nightmare. When their paths crossed, Mitsurugi was led on a wild goose chase, being lured to a place with no connection whatsoever to his mission. By that point, however, it was too late to do anything: word reached him that Nightmare had already disappeared. Mitsurugi remained unperturbed, and threw himself and his sword into battlefields around the land to continue honing his skills, the old man’s words about mastering the military arts always in the back of his mind. The samurai began to realize that what he really sought was combat against the very best.
Mitsurugi was lured into a trap by Edge Master where he was confronted by Taki. After defeating her, the samurai was finally told by the ninja that he was tricked by Edge Master, and was left with a note from the old man explaining his actions.
During his journey, Mitsurugi came across Kilik and Maxi, mistaking the latter as a nunchaku wielder who wanted him dead. After a spar with the pirate, he apologized for the misunderstanding and warned the duo about Taki and her connections to Soul Edge.
Other Soul Chronicles
Mitsurugi found Geralt of Rivia as the witcher was about to open a gate to return home. The samurai lost, but could not get a rematch from Geralt because the gate was about to open. Mitsurugi parted ways with the witcher, asking for another fight if he ever returned.
At the conclusion of his first quest for Soul Edge, Mitsurugi met the Conduit in Indochina on his way back home, and the two of traveled for a brief time before parting ways in Yangguang. A year later, Mitsurugi met the Conduit again and faced Geralt, who was just transported from his world through an astral fissure. Mitsurugi faced the witcher, but the match ended in a draw. Wanting a rematch, the samurai left the Conduit to pursue Geralt.
Mitsurugi appears as a well-built Japanese man with slightly long black hair and black eyes. He wears a red breastplate with yellow accents and matching greaves, left brace and shoulder armor, which the left one has more of an dragon-like design with another layer of sode armor coming from the mouth. He wears a black and gold haori underneath the breastplate, with the left sleeve covering his armored and gloved arm while the other is bare with a beaded bracelet, matching baggy pants with a gold tiger design on the left leg tied by a purple rope belt and a green and gold cloth covering the other leg.
Mitsurugi enjoys fighting above all else, searching for worthy opponents far and wide to sharpen his skills. To the point he would go as far to search for the all-powerful weapon Soul Edge. Despite his impeccable skills with the sword, Mitsurugi's greatest weakness is not just his pride, but also his lack of common sense and knowledge; he erroneously refers Nightmare as the "Knight of Mare", and Edge Master leading him to a confrontation with Taki without realizing his true intentions. He also considers Geralt as his greatest rival, as shown in the latter's Soul Chronicle and in Libra of Soul, he desires to have a fated battle with the Witcher.
Mitsurugi's costumes are a reference to his 1P costume from Soulcalibur. His Color 1 follows the original color scheme of that costume.
His Color 2 colors his armor blue, his hakama brown, and his side sash black.
His Color 3 is a reference to Arthur. His hair is blond and he has a eyepatch over his right eye. His armor is brown, his hakama is green, and his side sash is blue.
His Color 4 colors his armor reddish purple, his hakama gold, and his side sash reddish purple matching his armor.
Weapon & Style
Mitsurugi decided to rethink his fighting style to combat the power of the Tanegashima. He arrived at the conclusion he needed a new blade to fit his new style.
Visiting many a swordsmith on his travels, the samurai tried out various swords, until eventually he settled on Shishi-Oh. Though neither rare nor particularly unusual, the blade is relatively long and wide. It is sharp, weighty, and cuts the air cleanly, making it ideal for Mitsurugi’s aggressive style.
Mitsurugi calls his style Tenpu-Kosai-Ryu. Unlike most fighters of a new style, he has no desire to open a school and gather disciples to pass it on to. Rather, it is likely that he uses his skills simply as means to help his services as a mercenary. Mitsurugi's style was developed naturally through countless hard-fought battles, and as such it differs greatly from more systematic styles. That being said, he constantly strove to improve his techniques as he searched for a weapon stronger than Tanegashima. This led him to favor moves that allow him to strike and move quickly when faced with projectile-firing weapons.
It was likely that it was during this period of his life that Mitsurugi searched out and battled opponents wielding a variety of different styles. In Japan, the Warring States period was in full swing, and rarely did anyone turn down a challenge once issued. Mitsurugi used this opportunity to learn from those he defeated, and make their techniques his own.
Thunderbolt Blade: Slashes his opponent which lifts them up into the air, then strikes them down with another slash which launches them higher into the air. Since patch v.2.0.0 after successfully performing the Critical Edge, he will enter the Shura Blade state.
- "Let's go." — Character Selection, 1P
- "Ready for this?" — Character Selection, 2P
- "The wait is over. Let's begin!"
- "You'll just be a stain on my blade!"
- "I will give you a taste... of true battle!"
- "Fine. Come on!"
- "Heishiro Mitsurugi. Do not forget this name."
- "Heishiro Mitsurugi is not afraid to die!"
- "Not even the king of hell could stand against my blade."
- "In the fires of hell...we shall meet again."
- "Heh. Soul Edge belongs in my hands!" — spoken when starting a battle against Nightmare
- "Soul Edge belongs to me!" — spoken upon defeating Nightmare
- "What happened to your right arm?" — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "Nice one, Knight of Mare!" — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "I shall never hand over Soul Edge!" — spoken when starting a battle against Taki
- "Your predictable moves... are no match!" — spoken upon defeating Taki
- "A head weapon? It can't be!" — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Heh. You owe me a fight today!" — spoken when starting a battle against Geralt
- "Next time, fight like you mean it." — spoken upon defeating Geralt
- "I was wondering when you'd finally get here!" — spoken when starting a battle against Haohmaru
- "Get up! The fun has just begun!" — spoken upon defeating Haohmaru
- "Oh... I know that guard." — spoken when starting a battle against Setsuka
- "There is nothing for you down that path... You know that, right?" — spoken upon defeating Setsuka
- "Your head is mine!" — spoken during Clash
- "Fight properly!" — spoken during Ring Out
- "This isn't a true loss!" — spoken during Ring Out
- "Brace yourself!"
- "Mercy? I have none!" — activation of Soul Charge
- "The true battle... begins here!" — activation of Soul Charge (low health)
- "The curtain falls!" — spoken when opponent reaches decisive round
- "You always get in my way." — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Taki
- "You called yourself a student of Kokonoe?" — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Setsuka
- "Saw it coming!" — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "So slow." — spoken during counter Reversal Edge
- "I'll never stop!"
- "Hmph! Coward!" — taunting an opponent
- "Is that it? Begone!" — taunting a KO'd opponent
- "Ahahaha!" — taunting Taki
- "Revenge? Don't make me laugh!" — taunting Setsuka
- "You cocky little!"
- "A test of strength?"
- "Got a death wish?"
- "This is getting fun!"
- "The River Styx awaits!"
- "Let's do this!"
- "Can you keep up?" — spoken during Reversal Edge
- "Show me your power." — spoken during Reversal Edge
- "The battle begins here!" — spoken during Reversal Edge
- "Are you prepared for this?"
- "Such impudence!"
- "Out of my way!"
- "Merciful Buddha..."
- "I'll never stop!"
- "Your head is mine!"
- "I'll never quit!"
- "You're cornered!"
- "Yes! Time to fight!"
- "I like it here on the edge."
- "Stop mimicking me!"
- "What's your problem?"
- "You've got some guts."
- "Not yet."
- "Too easy!"
- "Brace yourself!"
- "Your time is over!"
- "See that?"
- "It's... over!"
- "Sad fool."
- "That's more like it!"
- "You really are strong."
- "No...way..." — Standing KO
- "Not quite!"
- "It's nothing!"
- "Forget it!"
- "Time to end you!" — spoken when starting Critical Edge
- "Depart... this life!" — spoken during Critical Edge
- "The end." — spoken at end of Critical Edge
- "Can't stand? You're done for." — spoken at end of KO Critical Edge
- "Damn. I'm getting rusty." — spoken after losing by time out
- "I cannot accept this." — spoken after losing by time out against Taki
- "Is this the true power of Tsushima-ryu?" — spoken after losing by time out against Setsuka
- "Interesting!" — spoken when KO'd by Setsuka
- "Yes, time to fight!" — spoken during Soul Attack
- Saw Taki as an obstacle in his quest for the Soul Edge
- Was sent on a wild goose chase by Edge Master for Soul Edge
- Fought Maxi and asked him and his companion about Soul Edge
- Self-proclaimed friendly rival of Geralt
- Occasional companion of the Conduit
- Killed Shugen Kokonoe, which prompted Setsuka to get revenge
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Hilde | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|