- "Mercy? I have none!"
- — Mitsurugi
Heishiro Mitsurugi (御剣 平四郎, Mitsurugi Heishirō) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. The exact English translation of his nickname, Mercenary in the Warlike Age (戦国の用心棒 Sengoku no yōjinbō?), is unknown.
In response to the appearance of the firearms on the battlefield, Mitsurugi began a search for a formidable weapon to help turn the tide of the changing times. After facing defeat in a Tanegashima tournament, Mitsurugi begins training diligently in hopes to become a more refined warrior. During one of his traning sessions, a Village Merchant approaches him and tells him of a powerful warrior named Nightmare who is wrecking havoc on the countryside with an invincible sword. Mitsurugi vows to find Soul Edge and crosses into the Chinese mainland.
After overwhelming a group of ruffians, Mitsurugi continued to head west to Europe, fighting new challenges along the way. After defeating a wandering Samurai, Misturugi meets Edge Master who compliments his fierce fighting capabilities. The two strike up a friendship and begin to journey together. The two of them discuss martial art techniques regularly while drinking together. Edge Master confirms he is aware of Nightmare but is sparse with details. Edge Master urges Mitsurugi to continue to fight to help 'jog his memory'. Mitsurugi continues to defeat stronger and stronger foes on his journey. Mitsurugi wishes to fight Edge Master but the old man refuses.
Edge Master leads Mitsurugi and disappears shortly after. Taki appears before Mitsurugi that two fight before Taki admits to Mitsurugi being duped. Edge Master leaves Mitsurugi a note, telling him that he could not allow Mitsurugi to get to Soul Edge for his own protection. Mitsurugi vows to do battle against Edge Master the next time the two may meet.
Mitsurugi appears as a well-built Japanese man with slightly long black hair and black eyes. He wears a red breastplate with yellow accents and matching greaves, left brace and shoulder armor, which the left one has more of an dragon-like design with another layer of sode armor coming from the mouth. He wears a black and gold haori underneath the breastplate, with the left sleeve covering his armored and gloved arm while the other is bare with a beaded bracelet, matching baggy pants with a gold tiger design on the left leg tied by a purple rope belt and a green and gold cloth covering the other leg.
Mitsurugi enjoys fighting above all else, searching for worthy opponents far and wide to sharpen his skills. To the point he would go as far to search for the all-powerful weapon Soul Edge. Despite his impeccable skills with the sword, Mitsurugi's greatest weakness is not just his pride, but also his lack of common sense and knowledge; he erroneously refers Nightmare as the "Knight of Mare", and Edge Master leading him to a confrontation with Taki without realizing his true intentions. He also considers Geralt as his greatest rival, as shown in the latter's Soul Chronicle and in Libra of Souls, he desires to have a fated battle with the Witcher.
Mitsurugi calls his style Tenpu-Kosai-Ryu. Unlike most fighters of a new style, he has no desire to open a school and gather disciples to pass it on to. Rather, it is likely that he uses his skills simply as means to help his services as a mercenary.
Thunderbolt Blade: Slashes his opponent which lifts them up into the air, then strikes them down with another slash which launches them higher into the air.
- Damascus Sword
- Hide in Shadow
- Two-Handed Sword
- "Let's go." — Character Selection, 1P
- "Ready for this?" — Character Selection, 2P
- "The wait is over. Let's begin!"
- "You'll just be a stain on my blade!"
- "I will give you a taste... of true battle!"
- "Fine. Come on!"
- "Heishiro Mitsurugi. Do not forget this name."
- "Heishiro Mitsurugi is not afraid to die!"
- "Not even the king of hell could stand against my blade."
- "Heh. Soul Edge belongs in my hands!" — spoken when starting a battle against Nightmare
- "Is this the best Soul Edge can do?" — spoken upon defeating Nightmare
- "What happened to your right arm?" — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "Nice one, Knight of Mare!" — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "I shall never hand over Soul Edge!" — spoken when starting a battle against Taki
- "Your predictable moves... are no match!" — spoken upon defeating Taki
- "A head weapon? It can't be!" — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Heh. You owe me a fight today!" — spoken when starting a battle against Geralt
- "Next time, fight like you mean it." — spoken upon defeating Geralt
- "Your head is mine!" — spoken during Clash
- "Fight properly!" — spoken during Ring Out
- "This isn't a true loss!" — spoken during Ring Out
- "Brace yourself!"
- "Mercy? I have none!" — activation of Soul Charge
- "The true battle... begins here!" — activation of Soul Charge (low health)
- "You always get in my way." — spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Taki
- "Saw it coming!" — spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "So slow." — spoken during counter Reversal Edge
- "You cocky little!"
- "A test of strength?"
- "Got a death wish?"
- "This is getting fun!"
- "The River Styx awaits!"
- "Let's do this!"
- "Can you keep up?"
- "Show me your power."
- "The battle begins here!"
- "Are you prepared for this?"
- "Such impudence!"
- "Out of my way!"
- "Merciful Buddha..."
- "I'll never stop!"
- "Your head is mine!"
- "I'll never quit!"
- "You're cornered!"
- "Yes! Time to fight!"
- "I like it here on the edge."
- "Stop mimicking me!"
- "What's your problem?"
- "You've got some guts."
- "Not yet."
- "Too easy!"
- "Brace yourself!"
- "Your time is over!"
- "See that?"
- "It's... over!"
- "Hmph. Coward!" — Taunt
- "No...way..." — Standing KO
- "Forget it!"
- "Time to end you!" — spoken when starting Critical Edge
- "Depart... this life!" — spoken during Critical Edge
- "The end." — spoken at end of Critical Edge
- "Can't stand? You're done for." — spoken at end of KO Critical Edge
- "Damn. I'm getting rusty." — spoken after losing by time out
- "I cannot accept this."
- Edge Master
- Geralt of Rivia (Libra of Souls only)
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|