What lies in his soul is Damnation and Destruction.
- Note: Non-Canon material starts here
Nightmare appears when Siegfried attempts to seal Soul Edge. He emerges from the blade and fights Siegfried, only to be defeated.
- Note: Non-Canon material ends here
Before the events of Soulcalibur III, Nightmare met with Raphael Sorel in the Ostrheinsburg Chapel and defeated him. As he stepped forward to kill the man and harvest his soul, Siegfried's mind started to struggle with Soul Edge for freedom. Raphael, watching as Nightmare stood motionless as a result of the mind struggle, released an attack and pierced Soul Edge's eye. This allowed Siegfried to reclaim his body and also released the holy blade Soul Calibur from within Soul Edge. In a state of temporary sanity, Siegfried then drove the holy sword into the cursed Soul Edge and sealed both together, nullifying both powers. However, the will of Soul Edge, Inferno, escaped the sword and entered the dark blue armour that Siegfried quickly discarded after reclaiming his body. Eventually, the mysterious immortal Zasalamel found the armor and created a new body for the immobile Inferno out of the countless evil souls haunting Ostrheinsburg. This new Nightmare restarted his reign of terror in search of Siegfried and the rest of Soul Edge, as well as a new host to escape into, as the new body was heavily unstable.
Nightmare appears once again in Soulcalibur IV. By this time, Nightmare's entire body had been twisted by the power of Soul Edge completely and utterly.
As the storyline of this game begins, Nightmare and Siegfried found each other once more at the Lost Cathedral. Soul Edge was freed from the Soul Embrace because of the secret art performed by Zasalamel. Nightmare took the evil sword as Siegfried became the new wielder of Soul Calibur. Then the two fought, the clashing of their swords gradually destroyed the cathedral, ripping both Nightmare and Siegfried apart only to be repaired by their swords after falling into a warp created by their duel.
Conveniently, both Nightmare and Soul Edge landed in Ostrheinsburg. Waves caused by the clash of the two swords awakened the fragments of Soul Edge that were scattered all over the world. The fragments were pulled into Soul Edge and all were consumed, restoring the blade to its whole form. As Nightmare seeded roots into the land, Ostrheinsburg soon became a cursed city that Nightmare would utilize to devour souls. The Azure Knight then prepared for his final battle against the wielder of Soul Calibur.
The storylines involving Algol feature Algol, the ancient king, whose will was strong enough to totally resist Soul Edge's power and who also created Soul Calibur in case Soul Edge ever needed to be destroyed, builds himself imitations of both soul swords wielding them simultaneously as he plots his resurrection and returns to his post as king.
"It's nearby! Don't leave your post!" a general says to one of his soldiers. Nightmare can be seen on the very top of the castle, watching over everything.
No Input Ending: Nightmare jumps down and kills all of the guards with little effort.
Input Ending: Nightmare leaps into the air and comes crashing down. As he falls, he transforms into Night Terror. Night Terror destroys a statue and then flies away, sparing the terrified guards' lives.
Nightmare defeats Siegfried, who drops Soul Calibur and falls to his knees. Nightmare declares himself a now unstoppable force and unleashes a sea of hellfire, roaring as the flames engulf him, Siegfried, and the area around him.
The text-only epilogue reveals this: The flames of the cursed sword furiously burn. The fires of hell will soon engulf the world in despair.
Evil Seed: Nightmare exclaims "Watch this!" and punches the opponent with his claw, knocking his foe backwards. He uppercuts him/her into the air, then slams his sword point first into the ground and a ball of energy erupts around his opponent as they scream. Apparently, this move drains their soul into Soul Edge.
Dark Reconquista: Nightmare holds his sword up, calls for it, saying "Soul Edge", and does one heavy vertical slash to knock his opponent to the ground while saying "Burn!".
The actual slash is delayed while Nightmare holds up his sword for about 1 second. Attacking him while he holds up the sword will cause a Guard Impact and trigger the slash, which deals about a 3rd life bar of damage. If he's not attacked in the meantime, the slash causes more than half life bar damage, however, it can be easily dodged moving horizontally or stepping back and like most critical edges, can be blocked. Also, due to the delay, it can be canceled by grappling the opponent.
- Lost Cathedral (SC3)
- Tower of Remembrance - Encounter (SC4)
- Tower of Remembrance - Omen (SCBD)
- Denevér Castle: Assault (SC5) (Legendary Souls)
- "Forsaken Sanctuary"
Soulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- "Destiny Will Tell"
- "Pavor Nocturnus" (Legendary Souls)
Tower Of Lost Souls Details & Skills
Nightmare appears in Tower of Lost Souls ascend mode as a difficult boss under the floor "Envoy Of Destruction"
a CPU Fighter name Oruks uses his style as a boss under the floor "Iron Sword"
TOLS Ascend Mode Boss Floor: Envoy Of Destruction (Floor 59)
Partners: Tira & Astaroth
Skills On Envoy Of Destruction
1.Shave Damage S
2.Soul Gauge Damage S
3.Soul Gauge Boost S
4.Nullify Ringout S
1.Soul Gauge Vamp
2.Auto Unblockable Attack A
3.Shave Damage C
- Give me... your darkness!
- You shall become my nourishment!
- It doesn't matter... how much you struggle!
- I want to see your madness!
- This place... shall be... your grave!
- I shall share with you... my darkness!
- I want to hear... your anguish!
- I shall show you... the end of days!
- Devastation... for the weak!
- I grant death... for the weak!
- Receive the punishment... of darkness!
- Have a taste of my darkness!
- Let fear sink into your soul!
- You shall have a taste... of my cursed sword.
- Offer your soul!
- Souls, give me strength!
- Time for a bloodbath!
- I thirst... for souls!
- You shall taste fear!
- Now... give me... give me your soul!
- Drown in the cesspool... of darkness.
- Death! I want to taste more deaths!
- Gather before me, darkness of the abyss!
- Become... a part of this nightmare.
- Offer your soul to darkness!
- There is no end to this nightmare!
- None of you... have any reason to live!
- What sweet sounds... of death.
- More... my thirst continues.
- Only devastation remains in the future.
- I shall cover the entire world... in darkness.
- Offer yourself... to the unending darkness!
- Let darkness take you!
- He he... Yes, I can see your darkness.
- None of you... can defeat this nightmare!
- I shall show you... the greatest... nightmare!
- Blood, darkness... come unto me!
- Souls, come unto me!
- More, I need more souls!
- Where... where's the next soul?!
- My resurrection... draws near.
- Do not delude yourself, wretched human! - Destined Battle with Raphael, intro quote
- You deserve nothing less...than the destruction of your soul! - Destined Battle with Raphael, win quote
- What is the meaning of this, wretched servant! - Encounter with Tira, intro quote
- Know your place! There will be no next time. - Encounter with Tira, win quote
- Do you really think you can stop me? - "A Trap" quick-time event success
- This will only serve to anger me. - "A Trap" quick-time event failure
- Fool! Do you really want to die that badly?
- I shall kill you with my own hands.
- Who do you think you are speaking to?!
- Humph...a pathetic trick.
- Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haah!
- You are my first sacrifice! - Tales of Souls sub-boss, generic
- The time is ripe. You shall become part of me. - Tales of Souls sub-boss, intro
- This time, I shall take my body back! - Tales of Souls sub-boss, vs. Siegfried
- You cannot run away from me!
- Ha ha ha ha ha! You exist only to become my sustenance!
- That's the best you can do?...How weak. - "Netherworld" quick-time event success
- Ohhhhh. - "Netherworld" quick-time event failure
- Heheh...Ha ha ha ha! Power flows through me!
- Ha ha ha ha ha!
- Sieg...fried. - Siegfried's ending
- Damn you...Damn...you! - Siegfried's ending, unused
- You will pay...for what you've done! - Siegfried's ending
- You will never run away from your sin! You have no right to live! It is a sin for you to be alive! - Siegfried's ending
- Remember the life you once led. Remember the souls you took! - Siegfried's ending, unused
- Gu ha ha ha ha! Huh? - Siegfried's ending, unused
- Outta the way!
- It's over!
- Time to die!
- Bow before me!
- Nowhere to run!
- Take this!
- Struggle, fool!
- Worship me!
- Cower in fear!
- I'll burn you alive!
- Darkness.. take you!
- This is... the end!
- Disappear, you cur!
- Damn... this is ridiculous.
- Show me the madness that lies within!
- Can you see the darkness of the abyss?
- Become a part of the nightmare!
- Darkness, give me darkness!
- The end is near.
- Blood, Darkness, Come unto me.
- The nightmare will never end.
- Become part of my darkness.
- Drown in the cesspool of darkness.
- Burn, in darkness!
- With this, you die!
- Don't move!
- No escape!
- What's wrong!
- More souls!
- Feel my wrath!
- Go fall, into the abyss!
- Give your blood, to me!
- Burn, in darkness!
- Tremble in fear!
- Have a taste of my darkness!
- Taste fear!
- Watch this!
- More! I'm still parched!
- Tremble in my darkness!
- Show me your power! --- to Yoda
- Tremble. This is true darkness!
- Your meager souls do not satisfy my thirst!
- You! I remember you! --- to Cervantes
- Your pathetic souls are worthless!
- Souls. Give me more souls!
- Your souls were rather good.
- In the end. You will give into despair!
- At last, at last the time has come!
- The despicable shackles that have held me all these long years are now destroyed.
- None shall be able to stop me!
- Burn everything in its path. Listen! Listen to the quickening of darkness!
- Tremble! This is true darkness!
- Tremble in my darkness!
- Your existence is meaningless!
- Darkness..... give me DARKNESS!
- Tira's master in Soulcalibur III and Soulcalibur IV.
- Former alter-ego, and current nemesis of Siegfried. Was defeated and destroyed by him in the end of Soulcalibur IV.
- Revived by Zasalamel at the beginning of Soulcalibur III, allowing him to roam the earth without a host.
- Alter-ego of Night Terror.
- Master of Sophitia (unwilling) and Voldo (misunderstanding) in Soulcalibur IV.
- Taki witnessed his battle against Siegfried in the closing events of Soulcalibur III. She sought to stop him from colliding his sword Soul Edge with Siegfried's Soul Calibur again in Soulcalibur IV.
- Mitsurugi sought him out in Soulcalibur III and Soulcalibur IV.
- Astaroth (during Soulcalibur IV).
- Tira (during Soulcalibur III and Soulcalibur IV only)
- Sophitia (she reluctantly served Nighmare during the events of Soulcalibur IV only to protect her daughter)
- Soulcalibur III
- Soulcalibur Legends (unplayable boss)
- Soulcalibur IV
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- Soulcalibur V (Legendary Souls)
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han-myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|