- "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!"
- — Nightmare
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. He is nicknamed Azure Nightmare (蒼き悪夢 Aoki Akumu?).
Appearing from out of the shadows like the advent of nightfall, this barbaric knight in azure armor reaps the souls of the living as if they were mere stalks of corn. His name came to represent fear and desperation to all who heard it. Those who found out that the rumors were true, that he was no fairytale villain, would be struck down in a single blow before they could even open their mouths to scream.
Nightmare appears as a monstrous knight clad in gold-detailed azure armor and a tattered black cape, his right arm mutated into a grotesque three-fingered claw as a result of his Malfestation. His face and much of his body are obscured by his armor and helmet, the latter of which has two sets of fins on its back and a horn protruding from the front. Not much can be seen of Nightmare's physical appearance under his armor, with only his huge malfested arm and glowing red eyes being visible. However, if Nightmare's helmet is broken, Siegfried's face is revealed, sporting current trademark shoulder-length blond hair and scar on right eye, while and retaining the glowing malfested red eyes.
Little is presently known about Nightmare's personality beyond his insatiable bloodlust and devotion to Soul Edge, to the extent that he is an enigma even to his own minions. It is clear, however, that Siegfried - the host - retains a certain level of awareness, given his response to Sophitia wanting to "save [him]". He mere replies "there is no turning back", indicating that, while aware of his actions, he either knows or believes that there is no way for him to stray from the path of blood. What remains of Siegfried's consciousness within Nightmare is enslaved by Soul Edge's will, which has impersonated the ghost of his father to manipulate him.
If he defeats Sophitia, he will utter "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!", indicating that he has a twisted sense of atonement (possibly believing that his massacres will bring back his deceased father that he himself killed, i.e. his "sins").
Nightmare is shown to struggle with the knowledge of having murdered his own father as Siegfried. Part of him believes a different person did it and is unwilling or unable to see the truth, while another -mostly dormant - side of him has begun to accept his role in Frederik's death and is attempting to force Nightmare to accept the truth; that "[his] father's killer" Nightmare blames for his father's death is himself. He despises this and tells his other side that he "shall kill [him] a thousand times over" in an attempt to rid himself of his guilt.
Nightmare's default appearance is a redesign of his Soulcalibur appearance, featuring yellow trims from his later designs and more detailing on his helmet's upward-facing fins and his pointed breastplate. He also now wears a tattered black cape, similar to an art render from Soulcalibur's art gallery.
In his "Color 2" costume, Nightmare's armor is steel-grey in color and his eyes and the glowing parts of his Malfested arm is blue instead of red.
Dark Reconquista: Triumph: Nightmare grabs his sword with both hands and thrusts it upwards, standing still while doing so. After a brief delay, he utters "Soul Edge!", driving his sword downward, striking and stunning his opponent while doing so. With a dark aura explosion enveloping him, he utters "Be unleashed!". Emerging from the explosion, sitting atop a horse made of dark energy, he charges towards his opponent, with his sword lowered, muttering "Taste...". As the sword connects, and slices trough the opponent, he finishes with shouting "...the sword of despair!" The horse disappears, with Nightmare ending up on the opponent's rear. The player can hold the buttons to turn the sword plunge unblockable, turning it into Dark Reconquista: Purgatory. However, holding the buttons sap away the Super Armor granted by the standart version.
- Soul Edge
- Steel Pandle
- Chrome Blade
- Giant Buster
- Giga Claymore
- Igneous Blade
- Blade of Torment
- "Sacrifice your soul to me!" — Character Selection Player 1
- "Your nightmare has begun!" — Character Selection Player 2
- "Your madness...! How it shines like a beacon!"
- "Sword, quench your thirst!"
- "The nightmare will devour your soul!"
- "There is...no turning back!" Spoken when engaging in a battle against Sophitia
- "My father's killer... So we meet again!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Siegfried
- "Dexter purpure, you ungrateful fool!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Ivy
- "Soul Edge! Be unleashed!" — Beginning of Critical Edge
- "Taste... the sword of despair!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "I thirst!" - Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge Blow.
- "Never shall you wake!" — Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge Blow against Zasalamel and Sophitia.
- "My sword! Do you still thirst?"
- "Silence !" — Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge Blow against Tira
- "This nightmare shall consume you." — Ending of Critical Edge by performing a K.O.
- "Blood! Darkness! I shall drown this world in both!"
- "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!" — Spoken after victory against Sophitia
- "I grant you death!"
- "Soul Edge...lend me your strength!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health
- "I shall kill you a thousand times over!" — Spoken after victory against Siegfried
- "Yes...try to resist!" — Spoken in decisive round for both characters.
- "Fly high!"
- "Break up!"
- "Stay down!"
- "Back off."
- "Eat this!"
- "Time to die!"
- "Hand over..."
- "I need more!"
- "Out of my sight."
- "Stay back!"
- "This it it!"
- "Now watch!"
- "A storm of blood!"
- "Scatter away!"
- "Drown in...darkness!"
- "Give me... your soul!"
- "Fall into...the abyss."
- "With this...you burn!"
- "All... shall break!"
- "In the name... of my father!" — Spoken when using 3AB against a downed Siegfried.
- "A fine soul!"
- "Souls... come to me!"
- "Give in... little girl!" — Spoken when performing a throw against Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-Na and Tira.
- "Souls...come unto me!"
- "Sword...grant me strength!"
- "None can withstand my blade."
- "Are you ready... to be crushed?" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Pathethic...!" — Spoken when charging up Reversal Edge.
- "You're such a fool!"
- "I have no regrets." — Spoken in Decisive Round against Sophitia
- "You shall make a fine sacrifice." — Spoken in Decisive Round
- "Weak!" — Spoken when performing successful Guard Impact.
- "Not yet..."
- "No, not again...!"
- "I shall crush you to dust!"
- "Give me your soul!"
- "You can't win!"
- "Huhuh...very good."
- "Descend into despair!"
- "I see how you tremble!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Ivy.
- "You are only a pawn." — Spoken in Decisive Round against Ivy.
- "'I have not finish with you yet!" — Spoken after victory against Ivy
- "Why do you resist?!" — Spoken when struck by Guard Crush.
- "Soul Edge..." — Spoken when struck by Guard Crush a second time.
- "I shall avenge my father!" — Spoken in Decisive Round against Siegfried
- "Have you confessed your sins!?" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge with Siegfried.
- "You will die here!" — Spoken when struck by Reversal Edge with Siegfried.
- "I shall destroy you!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge with Siegfried.
- "I will destroy you!" — Spoken when starting a Reversal Edge
- "Unstoppable!" — Spoken when first blow in Reversal Edge is countered
- "Damn you!" — Spoken when grab is blocked
- "What?" — Spoken when grab is broken.
- "Worthless scum!" — Occasionally spoken when evading Reversal Edge blow
- "Do not hinder... the sword's feast!" — Spoken after loss by Time Out
- "Why...?" — When knocked out by Sophitia
- "You filthy pawn!" — When knocked out by Ivy
- "The nightmare shall never end!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "Why do you resist?"
Soul Calibur VI
Ostrheinburg Castle - Hall of the Chosen
Music: Darkest Shadow
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|