- "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!"
- — Nightmare
Nightmare (ナイトメア, Naitomea) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. He is nicknamed Azure Nightmare (蒼き悪夢 Aoki Akumu?).
Appearing from out of the shadows like the advent of nightfall, this barbaric knight in azure armor reaps the souls of the living as if they were mere stalks of corn. His name came to represent fear and desperation to all who heard it. Those who found out that the rumors were true, that he was no fairytale villain, would be struck down in a single blow before they could even open their mouths to scream.
In 1583, Siegfried Schtauffen grasped the hilt of the cursed sword Soul Edge and was transformed into a monstrous knight clad in blue armor, unleashing a blast of evil energy that came to be called the Evil Seed. Enslaved to Soul Edge's will, which impersonated his deceased father in order to manipulate him, Siegfried embarked on a campaign of slaughter that earned him the moniker Nightmare, the latest incarnation of a legendary monstrous warrior reputed to appear throughout history.
At some point in 1583, Nightmare fought Grøh and Malfested him. As Nightmare's reputation increased, a feudal lord attempted to hire him as a mercenary to help overthrow the tyrannical ruler, but Nightmare killed him. Nightmare eventually claimed the city of Ostrheinsburg as his dominion and began attacking surrounding kingdoms such as Wolfkrone. Accruing an army of Malfested - beings mutated by Soul Edge's evil energy - and other monsters, by 1585 Nightmare had assembled a team of lieutenants called the "Covenant Shield" - Ivy Valentine, Astaroth, and the Lizardman Chief - and bestowed titles upon them. In 1586, Ostrheinsburg was attacked by the Aval Organization, but this played into Nightmare's hands as he killed them all and claimed their souls.
As Nightmare's power reached its zenith, Ostrheinsburg was attacked by a trio of warriors - Kilik, Xianghua, and Maxi. While Maxi faced Astaroth, Nightmare was confronted by Kilik - who had been Malfested by the Evil Seed but resisted Soul Edge's control; and Xianghua, who was unknowingly the wielder of Soul Calibur - Soul Edge's opposite. Nightmare attempted to force Kilik to succumb to his Malfestation, but Kilik managed to defeat Nightmare and shatter his armor. Inferno emerged and dragged Kilik and Xianghua into Astral Chaos, but was defeated using Soul Calibur; freeing Siegfried from the cursed sword's control.
As Siegfried wandered across Europe, the badly-damaged Soul Edge sought to corrupt and take him over again, eroding his will as he slept and inflicting him with nightmares. In early 1589, Siegfried grasped Soul Edge's hilt to enter Astral Chaos and rescue Soul Calibur from being consumed by Inferno, the demon initially assuming the form of Nightmare to mock him for the sins he committed under its control. While Siegfried managed to temporarily prevent Inferno from consuming Soul Calibur, his consciousness was eventually trapped in Astral Chaos once again alongside Soul Calibur, causing Siegfried to become corrupted by Soul Edge and turn into Nightmare again.
Nightmare appears as a monstrous knight clad in gold-detailed azure armor and a tattered black cape, his right arm mutated into a grotesque three-fingered claw as a result of his Malfestation. His face and much of his body are obscured by his armor and helmet, the latter of which has two sets of fins on its back and a horn protruding from the front. Not much can be seen of Nightmare's physical appearance under his armor, with only his huge malfested arm and glowing red eyes being visible. However, if Nightmare's helmet is broken, Siegfried's face is revealed, sporting current trademark shoulder-length blond hair and scar on right eye, while and retaining the glowing red malfested eyes.
Little is presently known about Nightmare's personality beyond his insatiable bloodlust and devotion to Soul Edge, to the extent that he is an enigma even to his own minions. It is clear, however, that Siegfried - the host - retains a certain level of awareness, given his response to Sophitia wanting to "save [him]". He mere replies "there is no turning back", indicating that, while aware of his actions, he either knows or believes that there is no way for him to stray from the path of blood. What remains of Siegfried's consciousness within Nightmare is enslaved by Soul Edge's will, which has impersonated the ghost of his father to manipulate him.
If he defeats Sophitia, he will utter "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!", indicating that he has a twisted sense of atonement (possibly believing that his massacres will bring back his deceased father that he himself killed, i.e. his "sins").
Nightmare is shown to struggle with the knowledge of having murdered his own father as Siegfried. Part of him believes a different person did it and is unwilling or unable to see the truth, while another -mostly dormant - side of him has begun to accept his role in Frederik's death and is attempting to force Nightmare to accept the truth; that "[his] father's killer" Nightmare blames for his father's death is himself. He despises this and tells his other side that he "shall kill [him] a thousand times over" in an attempt to rid himself of his guilt.
Nightmare's default appearance is a redesign of his Soulcalibur appearance, featuring yellow trims from his later designs and more detailing on his helmet's upward-facing fins and his pointed breastplate. He also now wears a tattered black cape, similar to an art render from Soulcalibur's art gallery.
In his "Color 2" costume, Nightmare's armor is silver in color and his eyes and the glowing parts of his Malfested arm are blue instead of red.
Dark Reconquista: Triumph: Nightmare grabs his sword with both hands and thrusts it upwards, standing still while doing so. After a brief delay, he utters "Soul Edge...", driving his sword downward, striking and stunning his opponent while doing so. With a dark aura explosion enveloping him, he utters "Be unleashed!". Emerging from the explosion, sitting atop a horse made of dark energy, he charges towards his opponent, with his sword lowered, muttering "Taste...". As the sword connects, and slices trough the opponent, he finishes with shouting "...the sword of despair!" The horse disappears, with Nightmare ending up on the opponent's rear. The player can hold the buttons to turn the sword plunge unblockable, turning it into Dark Reconquista: Purgatory, and causing more damage. However, holding the buttons sap away the Super Armor granted by the standard version.
- Soul Edge
- Steel Pandle
- Chrome Blade
- Giant Buster
- Giga Claymore
- Igneous Blade
- Blade of Torment
- "Sacrifice your soul to me!" — Character Selection Player 1
- "Your nightmare has begun!" — Character Selection Player 2, also spoken when landing a Reversal Edge on an opponent who has low health.
- "Your madness...! How it shines like a beacon!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Kilik.
- "Sword, quench your thirst!"
- "The nightmare will devour your soul!"
- "There is...no turning back!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Sophitia.
- "My father's killer... So we meet again!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Siegfried.
- "Dexter Purpure, you ungrateful fool!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Ivy.
- "Soul Edge..." — Beginning of Critical Edge.
- "...be unleashed!" — Spoken during Critical Edge.
- "Taste... the sword of despair!" — Spoken during Critical Edge.
- "I thirst!" — Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge Blow.
- "Not enough!"
- "A fine soul!"
- "Most pleasant!"
- "Never shall you wake!" — Spoken when dealing a non-lethal Critical Edge Blow.
- "My sword! Do you still thirst?"
- "Silence!" — Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge Blow against Tira and Xianghua.
- "This nightmare shall consume you." — Spoken after performing a KO with a Critical Edge.
- "Blood! Darkness! I shall drown this world in both!"
- "Darkness... devours all!"
- "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!" — Spoken after victory against Sophitia
- "I grant you death!"
- "Soul Edge...lend me your strength!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health.
- "I shall kill you a thousand times over!" — Spoken after victory against Siegfried.
- "Yes...try to resist!" — Spoken when an opponent reaches a Decisive Round after Nightmare.
- "You are a mere pawn."
- "Fly high!"
- "Break up!"
- "Stay down!"
- "Back off."
- "Eat this!"
- "This is it!"
- "Time to die!"
- "Hand over..."
- "My blade..."
- "I need more!"
- "Out of my sight."
- "Stay back!"
- "This it it!"
- "Now watch!"
- "A storm of blood!"
- "Scatter away!"
- "Drown in...darkness!"
- "Give me... your soul!"
- "Fall into...the abyss."
- "All... shall quake!"
- "Is that horn just for show?!" — Landing a Reversal Edge against Maxi.
- "In the name... of my father!" — Spoken when using 3AB against Siegfried.
- "A fine soul!"
- "Souls... come to me!"
- "Give in..." — Spoken occasionally when fighting against Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-Na, Astaroth, Ivy, Tira and Amy.
- "Little girl!" — Spoken occasionally when fighting against Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-Na, Tira and Amy.
- "Dexter Purpure!" — Spoken occasionally when fighting against Ivy.
- "Sinister Sable!" — Spoken occasionally when fighting against Astaroth.
- "Comrade!" — Spoken occasionally when fighting against Kilik.
- "Base Vert!" — Unused.
- "Sword...grant me strength!" — Spoken when taunting an opponent.
- "Soon...father..." — Spoken when taunting a defeated opponent.
- "None can withstand my blade."
- "Are you ready... to be crushed?" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Pathethic...!" — Spoken when charging up Reversal Edge.
- "You're such a fool!"
- "I have no regrets." — Spoken in when Sophitia reaches a Decisive Round.
- "You shall make a fine sacrifice." — Spoken when an opponent reaches a Decisive Round.
- "Weak!" — Spoken when performing successful Guard Impact.
- "Not yet..."
- "Not again...!"
- "I shall crush you to dust!"
- "You will know despair!"
- "Give me your soul!"
- "You can't win!"
- "Huhuh...very good."
- "Descend into despair!"
- "How you struggle!"
- "You defy me?!"
- "Quake in terror!"
- "You shall know true evil!"
- "Good, comrade!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Soul Charged Kilik (Blocking Kilik's initial attack.)
- "So, you reveal your true self!"
- "Descend into despair!"
- "Your obsession is pathetic!"
- "Not good enough!"
- "You shallow fool!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Sophitia. (Damaging Sophitia upon initial attack.)
- "You know nothing!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Sophitia. (Blocking Sophitia's initial attack.)
- "Do you loathe this sword?" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Ivy. (Blocking Ivy's initial attack.)
- "Why do you hesitate?!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Kilik. (Blocking Kilik's initial attack.)
- "See how you tremble!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Ivy. (Dagaging Ivy upon initial impact.)
- "You are a mere pawn." — Spoken when Ivy reaches a Decisive Round.
- "'I have not finished with you yet!" — Spoken after victory against Ivy
- "Why do you resist?!" — Spoken when struck by Guard Crush.
- "Soul Edge..." — Spoken when struck by Guard Crush a second time.
- "I shall avenge my father!" — Spoken when Siegfried reaches a Decisive Round.
- "Have you confessed your sins!?"
- "I need not your pity!" — Losing to a Time Out against Sophitia.
- "You will die here!" — Spoken after egaging in a Reversal Edge with Siegfried. (Blocking Siegfried's initial attack.)
- "I shall destroy you!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge with Siegfried. (Damaging Siegfried upon initial attack.)
- "Unstoppable!" — Spoken when injuring an opponent with the second blow in Reversal Edge.
- "Bleed!" — Spoken when injuring an opponent with the second blow in Reversal Edge.
- "Damn you!" — Spoken when a grab is blocked
- "What?" — Spoken when a grab is broken.
- "How?" — Spoken when a grab is broken.
- "Worthless lump!"
- "Do not hinder... the sword's feast!" — Spoken after loss by Time Out.
- "If it were not for you..." — Spoken after loss by Time Out to Siegfried.
- "Why...?" — When knocked out by Sophitia.
- "You filthy pawn!" — When knocked out by Ivy.
- "The nightmare shall never end!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "I thought I told you it wouldn't end?!" — Suffering a second Ring Out.
- "Why do you resist?" — Spoken after a Guard Break.
- "Soul Edge..." — Spoken after a second Guard Break.
- "It's not over!"
- "You're nothing!"
- "You're mine!"
- "No escape!"
- "Got you!"
Soul Calibur VI
Ostrheinburg Castle - Hall of the Chosen
Music: Darkest Shadow
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|