- "Your nightmare has begun!"
- — Nightmare
He is nicknamed The Azure Knight (蒼き悪夢 Aoki Akumu?).
His dark, azure armor invokes the night; his helmet covers all but his red, glowing eyes; his trunk-like right arm holds a great sword with a cursed eye glaring from its center... Could such a monstrous being really exist? Appearing from out of shadows like the advent of nightfall, this barbaric knight reaps the souls of the living as if they were mere stalks of corn. His name came to represent fear and desperation to all who heard it. Those who found out that the rumors were true, that he was no fairy tale villain, would be struck down in a single blow before they could even open their mouths to scream.
Nightmare's true form belonged to Siegfried, a young man entranced by the cursed sword, Soul Edge. He killed people and claimed their souls in the hope of bringing his father Frederick back from the dead. However, despite charming Siegfried with sweet words, Soul Edge was not as powerful as it had been while in the hands of Cervantes. Even so, Siegfried refused to acknowledge he had killed his own father, seeking revenge instead against his imaginary assassin... With his damaged past, it could perhaps be said there was no one better suited to the sword than Siegfried himself. Soul Edge's thirst for souls was unquenchable, as was Siegfried's in his quest to revive his father. In time, Nightmare was beginning to represent a threat surpassing even that of the pirate Cervantes.
At some point in 1583, Nightmare fought Grøh and Malfested him. As Nightmare's reputation increased, a feudal lord attempted to hire him as a mercenary to help overthrow the tyrannical ruler, but Nightmare killed him. Nightmare eventually claimed the city of Ostrheinsburg as his dominion and began attacking surrounding kingdoms such as Wolfkrone. Accruing an army of Malfested - beings mutated by Soul Edge's evil energy - and other monsters, by 1585 Nightmare had assembled a team of lieutenants called the "Covenant Shield" - Ivy Valentine, Astaroth, and the Lizardman Chief - and bestowed titles upon them. In 1586, Ostrheinsburg was attacked by the Aval Organization, but this played into Nightmare's hands as he killed them all and claimed their souls.
As Nightmare's power reached its zenith, Ostrheinsburg was attacked by a trio of warriors - Kilik, Xianghua, and Maxi. While Maxi faced Astaroth, Nightmare was confronted by Kilik - who had been Malfested by the Evil Seed but resisted Soul Edge's control; and Xianghua, who was unknowingly the wielder of Soul Calibur - Soul Edge's opposite. Nightmare attempted to force Kilik to succumb to his Malfestation, but Kilik managed to defeat Nightmare and shatter his armor. Inferno emerged and dragged Kilik and Xianghua into the Astral Chaos, but was defeated using Soul Calibur; freeing Siegfried from the cursed sword's control.
As Siegfried wandered across Europe, the badly-damaged Soul Edge sought to corrupt and take him over again, eroding his will as he slept, inflicting him with nightmares, and eventually growing powerful enough to take over him for brief periods. In early 1589, Siegfried grasped Soul Edge's hilt to enter the Astral Chaos and rescue Soul Calibur from being consumed by Inferno, the demon initially assuming the form of Nightmare to mock him for the sins he committed under its control. While Siegfried managed to temporarily prevent Inferno from consuming Soul Calibur, his consciousness was eventually trapped in the Astral Chaos once again alongside Soul Calibur, causing Siegfried's soul to be completely sealed away in the Astral Chaos.
Inferno, now in complete control of Siegfried's body, took on the guise of Nightmare and returned to Ostrheinsburg Castle and gathered his armies of Malfested once more, but was unable to unleash Soul Edge's full power without his host body's cooperation. Gathering a new cabal of powerful Malfested with blade-themed codenames - including the "Greatblade", the "Sword of Cursed Flames", and the "Sword of the Inquisitor" - Nightmare partnered his lieutenants with offshoots of Inferno such as Iska Acht. Sending his agents abroad to sow chaos and reclaim the fragments of Soul Edge that had been scattered around the world, Nightmare began expanding his influence globally. While Siegfried was able to wrest back control of his body for increasingly brief periods of time and sought to undermine his plans, Nightmare began focusing his will on corrupting Soul Calibur and assimilating it into Soul Edge, and corrupting Siegfried back into Soul Edge's willing puppet once more.
Nightmare appears as a monstrous knight clad in gold-detailed azure armor and a tattered black cape, his right arm mutated into a grotesque three-fingered claw as a result of his Malfestation. His face and much of his body are obscured by his armor and helmet, the latter of which has two sets of fins on its back and a horn protruding from the front. Not much can be seen of Nightmare's physical appearance under his armor, with only his huge Malfested arm and glowing red eyes being visible. However, if Nightmare's helmet is broken, Siegfried's face is revealed, sporting current trademark shoulder-length blond hair and scar on right eye, while retaining the glowing red Malfested eyes.
Little is presently known about Nightmare's personality beyond his insatiable bloodlust and devotion to Soul Edge, to the extent that he is an enigma even to his own minions. It is clear, however, that Siegfried - the host - retains a certain level of awareness, given his response to Sophitia wanting to "save [him]". He mere replies "there is no turning back", indicating that, while aware of his actions, he either knows or believes that there is no way for him to stray from the path of blood. What remains of Siegfried's consciousness within Nightmare is enslaved by Soul Edge's will, which has impersonated the ghost of his father to manipulate him.
If he defeats Sophitia, he will utter "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!", indicating that he has a twisted sense of atonement (possibly believing that his massacres will bring back his deceased father that he himself killed, i.e. his "sins").
Nightmare is shown to struggle with the knowledge of having murdered his own father as Siegfried. Part of him believes a different person did it and is unwilling or unable to see the truth, while another -mostly dormant - side of him has begun to accept his role in Frederick's death and is attempting to force Nightmare to accept the truth; that "[his] father's killer" Nightmare blames for his father's death is himself. He despises this and tells his other side that he "shall kill [him] a thousand times over" in an attempt to rid himself of his guilt.
Nightmare's default appearance is a redesign of his Soulcalibur appearance, featuring yellow trims from his later designs and more detailing on his helmet's upward-facing fins and his pointed breastplate. He also now wears a tattered black cape, similar to an art render from Soulcalibur's art gallery.
In his Color 2 costume, his armor is silver in color and his eyes and the glowing parts of his Malfested arm are blue instead of red.
In his Color 3 costume, his armor is red in color while his eyes and the glowing parts of his Malfested arm are red once again.
His Color 4 costume, recolors his armor into purple while giving him blue Malfested accents. Breaking his helmet in this costume will reveal a Malfested Siegfried with white hair.
Weapon & Style
Soul Edge… A sword that has left countless indelible scars on history. The cursed blade devours souls, and most warriors who have sought it out have found only a horrific death.
Its past is one of doom and destruction, and now it finds itself in the hands of the mentally unstable Siegfried. The troubled man fails to see that it controls him like a marionette, and he dances to is accursed tune.
Soul Edge takes the form of its “vessel’s” preferred weapon—in Siegfried’s case, the Zweihänder. This is so it can push its owner’s power to the limit to better claim the blood and souls it craves.
Soul Edge has been part of many a battle, and the blade carries within it the memories of those who wielded it, and those who faced them. Such memories influence the fighting style of the blade’s current master, so even if its wielder lacks experience in combat, they can battle like a seasoned warrior. This alone makes those who oppose Soul Edge tremble with fear.
When facing Nightmare, one must never forget that he is able to at least partially unleash the power of the sword. If he does, be prepared for a blow designed to kill in one fell cut.
The souls of those struck down and devoured by the sword are like books that get added to the blade’s seemingly never-ending library of fighting styles. Is there anyone who can stop the river of blood this sword leaves in its wake?
Dark Reconquista: Triumph: Nightmare holds his sword high in the air, then forcefully plunges it to the ground, causing an eruption of dark energy to explode from his immediate area. Emerging seconds later, riding on top a horse of evil energy, he charges towards his opponent before viciously swinging his sword through them with one savage strike to finish them off. The player can hold the buttons to turn the sword plunge unblockable, turning it into a stronger Dark Reconquista: Triumph, and causing more damage. However, holding the buttons sap away the Super Armor granted by the standard version, but grant a Guard Impact property.
- Soul Edge
- Steel Paddle
- Chrome Blade
- Giant Buster
- Giga Claymore
- Igneous Blade
- Blade of Torment
- "Sacrifice your soul to me!" — Character Selection, Player 1
- "Your nightmare has begun!" — Character Selection, Player 2; also when engaging in a Reversal Edge while Soul Charged (spoken differently than when selected as Player 2)
- "Sword, quench your thirst!" — Standard Entrance, Player 1
- "The nightmare will devour your soul!" — Standard Entrance, Player 2
- "There is...no turning back!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Sophitia
- "My father's killer... So, we meet again!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Siegfried
- "Dexter Purpure, you ungrateful fool!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Ivy
- "Your madness...! How it shines like a beacon!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Kilik
- "Blood! Darkness! I shall drown the world in both!"
- "My sword... Do you still thirst?"
- "My sins...can only be cleansed with blood!" — Spoken after victory against Sophitia
- "I shall kill you a thousand times over!" — Spoken after victory against Siegfried
- "I have not finished with you yet!" — Spoken after victory against Ivy
- "No matter how bright the light, some shadows cannot be expelled!" — Spoken after victory against Hilde
- "Soul Edge..." — Beginning of Critical Edge
- "...be unleashed!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Taste... the sword of despair!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Never shall you wake!" — Spoken when dealing a non-lethal Critical Edge blow
- "I thirst!" — Spoken when dealing a non-lethal Critical Edge blow against Siegfried
- "Silence!" — Spoken when dealing non-lethal Critical Edge blow against Tira, Sophitia and Xianghua
- "This nightmare shall consume you." — Spoken after performing a KO with a Critical Edge
- "A fine soul!"
- "Most pleasant!"
- "Darkness... devours all!" — Spoken during Jade Crusher
- "Are you ready... to be crushed?" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Soul Edge... lend me your strength!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health
- "My only salvation... is revenge!" — Activating Soul Charge while fighting Sophitia
- "I will avenge... my father!" — Activating Soul Charge while fighting Siegfried
- "Go to hell... sinner!" — Activating Soul Charge while fighting Soul Charged Siegfried
- "Witness the power... of Soul Edge!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on Hilde
- "You shall make a fine sacrifice." — Spoken when an opponent reaches a Decisive Round
- "Yes! Try to resist!" — Spoken upon reaching the Final Round.
- "I have no regrets." — Spoken when Sophitia reaches a Decisive Round
- "I shall avenge my father!" — Spoken when Siegfried reaches a Decisive Round
- "You are a mere pawn." — Spoken when Ivy reaches a Decisive Round
- "Wake up!"
- "Back off."
- "I shall crush you!"
- "Eat this!"
- "This is it!"
- "Time to die!"
- "Hand over..."
- "My blade..."
- "I need more!"
- "Out of my sight."
- "Ready?" — Spoken during 2A against Kilik, Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-na and Amy.
- "Stand back!"
- "Now watch!"
- "A storm of blood!"
- "Scatter away!" — Spoken during Soul Wave
- "Drown in...darkness!"
- "Give me... your soul!" — Spoken during Shoulder Claw Throw
- "Fall into...the abyss!" — Spoken during Soul Devour
- "I grant you death!" — Spoken during Doom's Invitation
- "Not enough!" — Spoken during Witch Hunt
- "Stay down!" — Spoken during Flapjack
- "Fly high!" — Spoken during Over Throw
- "Die... here and now!"
- "All... shall quake!" — Spoken when using 2AB
- "You can't win!"
- "You pitiful fool!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "That is futile!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "How you struggle!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "You defy me?!" — Spoken when starting a Reversal Edge while low on health
- "A fine soul!" — Spoken when starting a Reversal Edge while low on health as well as during back-throw on most opponents
- "In the name... of my father!" — Spoken when using 2AB against Siegfried
- "Souls... come to me!"
- "Your soul... give it to me!"
- "Give in..." — Spoken during command grab against Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-na, Astaroth, Ivy, Tira, Amy and Cassandra
- "Dexter Purpure!" — Spoken during command grab and 2AA against Ivy
- "Little girl!" — Spoken during command grab and 2AA against Tira, Sophitia, Xianghua, Talim, Seong Mi-na, Tira, Amy and Cassandra
- "Sinister Sable!" — Spoken during command grab and 2AA when fighting against Astaroth
- "Comrade!" — Spoken during 2AA against Kilik
- "Base Vert!" — Unused
- "Sword, grant me strength!" — Spoken when taunting an opponent
- "Soon, father..." — Spoken when taunting a defeated opponent
- "Pathetic...!" — Spoken after having charged up Reversal Edge by blocking multiple attacks
- "Weak!" — Spoken when performing successful Guard Impact
- "I shall crush you to dust!" — Spoken when initiating Reversal Edge
- "None can withstand my blade." — Spoken when initiating Reversal Edge
- "You will know despair!" — Spoken when initiating Reversal Edge while the opponent has low health
- "Give me your soul!" — Spoken when initiating Reversal Edge while low on health.
- "You can't win!"
- "Hehe...very good."
- "Descend into despair!"
- "Forfeit!" — Spoken during Soul Taker
- "Quake in terror!"
- "You shall know true evil!"
- "Is that horn just for show?!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Good, comrade!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Soul Charged Kilik
- "So you reveal your true self!"
- "Descend into despair!"
- "Your obsession is pathetic!"
- "Not good enough!"
- "You shallow fool!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Sophitia while low on health
- "You know nothing!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Sophitia
- "Do you loathe this sword?" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Ivy
- "Why do you hesitate?!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Kilik
- "See how you tremble!" — Spoken when engaging in a Reversal Edge against Ivy
- "Have you confessed your sins!?"
- "You will die here!" — Spoken after initiating a Reversal Edge with Siegfried
- "I shall destroy you!" — Spoken when initiating a Reversal Edge with Siegfried
- "You will know true despair!" — Starting Reversal Edge against Hilde
- "No wolf is a match for me!" — Starting Reversal Edge against Hilde
- "Unstoppable!" — Spoken when injuring an opponent with the second blow in Reversal Edge
- "Bleed!" — Spoken when injuring an opponent with the second blow in Reversal Edge
- "Damn you!" — Spoken when a grab is blocked
- "What?" — Spoken when a grab is broken
- "How?" — Spoken when a grab is broken
- "Too slow!" — Spoken while dodging a Reversal Edge
- "Worthless lump!" — Spoken while dodging a Reversal Edge
- "Do not hinder... the sword's feast!" — Spoken after loss by Time Out
- "I need not your pity!" — Spoken after loss by Time Out to Sophitia
- "If it were not for you..." — Spoken after loss by Time Out to Siegfried
- "Why...?" — When knocked out by Sophitia
- "You filthy pawn!" — When knocked out by Ivy
- "F-Father..." — Standing KO
- "The nightmare shall never end!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "I thought I told you it wouldn't end?!" — Suffering a second Ring Out
- "Why do you resist?" — Spoken after a Guard Break
- "Soul Edge..." — Spoken after a second Guard Break
- "It's not over!"
- "You're nothing!"
- "You're mine!"
- "No escape!"
- "Got you!"
- "Damn you!"
- "Not yet!"
- "Not again!"
- "Get out of here!"
- "Hear... the sound of despair!"
- Manipulated and corrupted by Inferno, who later uses Siegfried's alter-ego as his own likeness
- Siegfried is the original host of this alter-ego
- Defeated and Malfested Grøh
- Unknowingly resurrected Cervantes, who seeks to reclaim the Soul Edge for himself
- Leader of the Schwarzstrom, consisting of Astaroth, Ivy (later defected), Aeon, and the Lizardmen
- Defeated by Kilik
- Targeted by Tira, who admires his brutal massacres.
|New Timeline Characters|
|Playable Characters||Amy • Astaroth • Azwel • Cassandra • Cervantes • Grøh • Hilde • Hwang • Inferno • Ivy • Kilik • Maxi • Mitsurugi • Nightmare • Raphael • Seong Mi-na • Setsuka • Siegfried • Sophitia • Taki • Talim • Tira • Voldo • Xianghua • Yoshimitsu • Zasalamel|
|Other Notable Characters||Bolta • Curtis • Daniel • Dion • George von Krone • Gerhilde • Iska Acht • Kunpaetku • Kyam • Lingyu • Lucius • Lyla • Natalie • Orzal • Plata • Rothion • Seong Han-myeong • Shugen Kokonoe • Valtro • Vercci • Wilhelm von Krone • Won Gabok • Xiangfei • Xianglian • Xiuqiang|