α Patroklos (アルファ・パトロクロス, Arufa Patorokurosu; Greek: άλφα Πάτροκλος) is a fictional character in the Soul series of fighting games. He is the alternate version of Patroklos with an entirely different moveset and makes his debut appearance in Soulcalibur V.
His appearance is the same as regular Patroklos, although much darker. Areas that are normally white or red are a more dull grey color and some blue colors. In this form, Patroklos doesn't have the lynx shoulderpads or the white cape he has in his normal appearance but still retained his armlets. He also wields Soul Calibur', although he wields it the same way Setsuka wields her umbrella weapon. The parasol, however, is replaced by a scabbard. His 2P costume is a recolor of his 1P costume expect it has shades of red colors and has the same two different blue armlets.
Patroklos met her at a bazaar in Istanbul. Her name was Setsuka, and she was a master of battoh-style sheath-based sword attacks.
Known as "Neve" to those around her, Setsuka had been taking in orphans and teaching them to defend themselves. Upon seeing her lightning-fast sword techniques, Patroklos begged her to teach him. She agreed, and allowed him to join the orphans in their training.
Driven by his single-minded lust for revenge, Patroklos learned at a surprisingly fast pace, but his teacher expressed little joy at his progress. Setsuka had once lived for revenge herself, and she admonished him not to lose his heart to such dark desires.
Young and brash, Patroklos took umbrage at her words and turned his back on his teacher. Looking back on it now, Patroklos realizes that the woman he spurned may have been the closest thing he'd ever had to a mother; what he'd run away from was not Setsuka, but his own heart.
Clenching the transformed spirit sword tightly, Patroklos swore a solemn vow: "I shall run no more!"
Story ~1607 A.D.~
With his shield being shattered, Patroklos wields Soul Calibur as his only weapon. Though at first he allows Elysium to dominate his will, believing her to be his mother's spirit, eventually he realizes that she is simply the embodiment of Soul Calibur. After killing Pyrrha and bringing peace to the world, he goes back in time, and makes the decision to save her, then get the Soul Edge away from her and destroy it instead. This draws the ire of Elysium, who imprisons him in a mass of crystalic ice.
In his mind, he battles Elysium while a now purified Pyrrha, but still having a malfested right arm chips away his crystalline prison, and they rid the world of both swords afterward. No matter what current state Pyrrha is still in, Patroklos still accepts her.
Patroklos' personality has been seemingly changed. It appears that he has grown determined, focused and thoughtful. However these are only superficial changes because once again he is led and dominated by a stronger entity, this time Soul Calibur. The spirit sword reinforced his hatred for the malfested and led him to become his sister's demise. He once again followed orders without question to fulfill someone else's bidding. Only after the terrible mistake he has made, he realizes his foolishness and starts thinking for himself, and now fully understand what true justice means for.
α Patroklos uses a modified version of Setsuka's moveset. Unlike his master, α Patroklos does not use an umbrella and the sword's scabbard replaces it thus, replacing umbrella-based attacks with his own moves. According to the story mode this is Patroklos' true fighting style, and he used it prior to taking up a shield in honor of his mother. However, when he was 15, Patroklos won his first fighting tournament, event during which his father Rothion was still alive and, therefore before Patroklos met Setsuka. This implies he probably used another fighting style (probably the sword and shield) before learning Setsuka's style. Overall, α Patroklos's fighting style can throw off some players who are not familiar with Setsuka's fighting style.
Transcending Rapture: α Patroklos sprints forward and swings a devastatingly fast blow at his opponent, crystallizing them as he sheathes his sword. His Critical Edge is similar to Setsuka's Critical Finish from Soulcalibur IV.
- Soul Calibur (Iai Blade)
- Hidden Bamboo
- Hidden Fang
- Hidden Sword
- The Master (α Patroklos)
- "Virtuous Heart"
- My sister, I will release you! - spoken before engaging in battle against Pyrrha Ω.
- Who are you, really?! Answer me! - spoken when engaging in battle against Elysium.
- Alright, I won't go easy on you. - spoken before engaging in battle against Pyrrha.
- I will become stronger. I promise. - spoken after defeating Pyrrha and in Story Mode.
- My mind is... clear!
- It ends here!
- It's over!
- For the future/past/fight! - randomized upon using Silver Shadow.
- I was too weak. - spoken after being defeated by Elysium
- I see your...weakness!
- Fortune is... mine!
- Tell me, are you satisfied now?
- Dammit! - spoken when ring out.
- Stupid! - spoken when ring out again.
- I'll carve my own fate! - spoken during Critical Edge.
- Malfested are vile and Soul Edge is my enemy! - spoken in story mode to Pyrrha Ω.
- I lost my way, but I will never give up!
- I fight in the way I see fit!
- What the...?! - spoken when hit by a tremor.
- You are not our mother! - spoken after losing to Elysium.
- I wanted to save her. - spoken after losing to Pyrrha Ω.
- It is my honor. - spoken in story mode to Elysium.
- I'd have lost before, but those days are over.
- Pyrrha, I shall run no more. - spoken in story mode to Pyrrha Ω.
- I won't hold... back! - throw on Pyrrha
- I won't run... anymore! - throw on Pyrrha Ω.
- This fight... shall end! - throw on Elysium.
- I'll do my best!
- You can do this. Stay calm.
- Alright. Hit me with all you got.
- What's the matter? Please, don't hold back on me!
- You maniac!
- Forgive me! My weakness is to blame. - spoken after defeating Pyrrha Ω.
- Good-bye, Mother. - spoken after defeating Elysium.
- I've made a vow to better myself.
- I won't go...astray!
- No regrets, no faults! - spoken during "Dark Water Cutter" throw.
- Forgive me.
- Pyrrha...forgive me! - attack on Pyrrha or Pyrrha Ω
- For the future!
- You're mine!
- Life or death. - spoken during either Sakura Fury or Silver Moon Combo.
- You are not our mother. She would never divide her children and make us fight each other!
- Who are you? Answer me?!
- I needed my mother's guidance in the past, but you can't blindly follow another.
- That's not what being alive means.
- I will follow the path that I deem to be right.
- It's my fault. It was all because I was weak.
- We don't need something like this to find happiness.
- We've made so many mistakes, and we must make amends for the rest of our lives.
- But for now, let's go back home.
- Although he has a different outfit than his original version, this outfit was never shown in Story Mode, as he kept the same outfit for all Story Mode.
- Oddly, Patroklos' original outfit is worn by α Patroklos only in Story Mode.
- His outfit is actually a recolored version of what's left when normal Patroklos's armor gets broken. As a result, α Patroklos is left without a shirt when his armor breaks; however, there is a DLC equipment where he can wear his original form costume but lacks an extra color for the left armband and the caracal shoulderpads.
- He can re-equip his original version's default color outfit via DLC Customization.
- Coincidentally, Patroklos' English voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal is married to Tara Platt, who provided the voice for Setsuka, Patroklos' teacher.
- α Patroklos' title is "The Master Of Sheathing".
- α Patroklos's theme (Virtuous Heart) is an altered version of Patroklos's theme (Sword of Resolution).
- α Patroklos borrows a few win poses from Setsuka.
- When color editing α Patroklos on his 2P costume, his pin ribbon color doesn't change and also when copying the original colors from the original Patroklos, the jagged design on his sleeves become dark brown-ish black instead of white inversed.
- Tournament players nickname α Patroklos as "Patsuka", due to him using the same iaido swordplay style previously used by Setsuka.
- When α Patroklos is sparring against Elysium, they use the same quotes in story mode; except they are slightly altered in the Arcade, Legendary Souls & vs. Modes.
- In Legendary Souls mode, Edge Master always mimics α Patroklos' style, as opposed to mimicking a different character every round.
- α Patroklos is one of two characters from Greece to not use a sword and shield, the other being Kratos (Though the former's regular form does use a sword and shield).
Alpha (α) is the first letter of the Greek alphabet. Joined with his sister's later designation as "Omega" (Ω), this creates an analogy to the "Alpha and Omega" concept, and also an allegory to the beginning and the end, i.e. creation (which would be suggested by Soul Calibur's benevolent, if extreme, nature) and destruction (which parallels' the destructive evil inherent to Soul Edge).
- Setsuka taught him her fighting style before the events of Soulcalibur V.
- Manipulated by Elysium, before finally defeating her in battle.
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han-myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|