- "Try to have some dignity."
- — Raphael
His nickname is Prelude to Madness.
Born to France’s aristocratic Sorel family, Raphael was taught the ways of the upper classes from a young age. When he was older he learned medical practices, and was rigorously trained in the art of swordsmanship. He used his knowledge and talent with the rapier to keep his family on top during the political wars that were common in those times. His cold nature, though, gained him many enemies. When the political balance shifted during the Evil Seed event, his family handed him over to the enemy to save themselves. Raphael escaped to the slums where he was saved by a young girl by the name of Amy. He had never known charity, so her actions touched his heart deeply, and from that moment he dedicated his life to hers.
Despite fleeing with Amy across the border to Spain, Raphael ended up returning to southern France. Hiding his name, he served at the household of the wealthy Lord Dumas. Then, after gaining the rich man’s trust, he poisoned him, claiming his fortune and home for himself. While investigating the Evil Seed phenomenon that had changed his life, he came across some documents written by a person referring to themselves as “a scholar of the future.” The writings contained information on Soul Edge, which caught Raphael’s attention. Maybe if he could get his hands on that sword, he could use it on the warring politicians and aristocrats who had taken his previous life from him… Perhaps they would fight over the powerful sword, and ultimately fall victim to it. Raphael’s smile became tinged with madness. With Soul Edge, he could end the conflict, and build a new world for Amy...
Other Soul Chronicles
Raphael appeared in a nightamre Amy experienced after she was attacked by Azwel, when he was escaping from those who wanted him dead after his exile. Instead of being saved by Amy, Raphael was killed by his pursuers and transformed into a Malfested.
Raphael offered the Conduit to stay in his home as thanks for protecting Amy. During a night duel, it's revealed Raphael actually spiked the Conduit's dinner with sedatives in order to paralyze them. Having deduced that the Conduit is connected to Soul Edge, Raphael asked that he be given the rest of the report.
Raphael is a tall, handsome nobleman with blond hair and blue eyes.
Having been raised in the upper classes of French nobility, Raphael is aware of the deadly game needed to survive. Cunning, intelligent, and ruthless, Raphael looks down upon most others as beneath him, simply pawns for him to use and then discard in order to further his goals.
The exception to this is Amy, the one person who ever showed him a moment of kindness. He is utterly devoted to her and decides on creating a world in which she can be happy regardless of the casualties his actions might cause. If it weren’t for Amy, Raphael would have been turned into a mindless Malfested.
Raphael has a new costume that is different from the previous games. He dons a white shirt under a black leather vest and matching gloves, with a red cape on his right shoulder and black framed glasses. He also wears blue pants with red sides and black knee-high boots.
His Color 3 is recolors his shirt and cape pink; and his vest, gloves, pants and boots white. He doesn't wear glasses in this outfit.
His Color 4 is a reference to his vampiric Malfestation from the original timeline. His hair is now white and his eyes are red. His entire outfit is black with his cape and accents a pinkish red.
Raphael’s only connection to the family he turned his back on is his sword, the Flambert. This priceless heirloom has been wielded by the Sorel patriarch for most of the family’s history, and symbolizes their pride and prosperity. Unfortunately, this connection was broken when Raphael absconded with the blade, and soon after, the once celebrated Sorel name disappeared from the annals of French history.
Despite its effectiveness as both piercing and slicing blade and its abilities on both offense and defense, the blade is remarkable difficult to master. Only those with strength, speed, skill, and intense concentration needed to wield it in the heat of battle will be able to see this weapon’s true potential.
For Raphael, who has trained with the sword from a young age, it is an obedient companion who helps him acquire whatever it is he desires.
La Rapière des Sorel
The fighting style of the Sorel family for generations, designed for use with the rapier. In an age of bloody political fighting, one of the many traits a noble was expected to show was strength of sword arm. Even if an insult did not lead directly to a duel, allowing a slight to stand unchallenged would be a stain on your good name.
After abandoning his family name and losing his home purpose, Raphael’s swordsmanship was no longer about defending his honor, but a matter of life and death. While living as a vagabond in Spain, he engaged in many battles, improving his skills until they far exceeded anything his family’s classic La Rapiére des Sorel style could offer.
When Raphael chose to seek Soul Edge, he set out on a path that few have ever willingly walked. On this dangerous journey, his skills with the sword would prove to be his most reliable ally.
Royal Poison: Raphael initiates his Critical Edge by taking a step back and moving his left hand (wielding his rapier) to his chest, while also pointing the rapier at the enemy. After the animation sequence, he takes a huge step forward and makes a upward slash. If it is successful, Raphael then slashes the enemy 2 more times in an X formation, before striking the enemy in the diaphragm, causing them to stumble back. As they stumble, Raphael takes a step away, charging his rapier with light. He will then take a massive lunge forward, piercing through the enemy with enough impact to knock them off their feet.
There is also another version of Royal Poison when used in Preparation stance, making his initial hit a break attack.
- "You think you can win?" — Character Selection, 1P choice
- "This won't take long." — Character Selection, 2P choice
- "Welcome. I shall grant you death."
- "Let me show you... my blade's beauty."
- "Quickly now! Amy awaits me."
- "Do not delude yourself, thou wretched fool!"
- "An intriguing offer... but I must decline." — spoken when engaging in battle with Azwel.
- "En garde!"
- "Let us begin."
- "Well now?"
- "You dare!"
- "Is that all?"
- "Reckless!" — spoken when dodging with Circular/Spiral Envelopment
- "What's wrong?" — spoken when dodging with Circular/Spiral Envelopment
- "It's time... for you to perish." — activating Soul Charge
- "Give me strength... Amy." — activating Soul Charge on low health
- "Now... we go for real." — activating Soul Charge against Amy
- "Behold.. my prelude for the future!" — activating Soul Charge against Azwel
- "Okay, Amy, let us begin today's practice!" — spoken when engaging a battle with Amy.
- "You have improved... Let us call it a day." — Spoken after being victorious against Amy.
- "Try to have some dignity." — Starting Critical Edge
- "Still want more?" — at the end of Critical Edge
- "Now again." — at the end of Critical Edge against Amy
- "With my blade, I shall forge a new world!" — at the end of K.O Critical Edge
- "Get ready!" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge
- "Let's dance." — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge
- "Too slow." — during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Terrible." — during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Get on your knees!" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge
- "Hmph. Is that it?" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge
- "Such foolishness!" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge
- "Now, I'm mad!" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge on low health
- "I shall win, for Amy!" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge with both sides on low health
- "Show me what you've made of." — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge with enemy on low health
- "Do not get ahead of yourself!" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge with both sides on low health
- "You remind to watch your sight." — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Is it over?" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "That's it! Outstanding!" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "That's more like it!" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Coup de grâce!"
- "Rest in peace! — spoken during Bloody Funeral
- "React to this, Amy! — spoken during Bloody Funeral against Amy
- "Not over yet!"
- "Watch closely" — spoken during some moves against Amy
- "Don't force it!" — spoken during some moves against Amy
- "Like that!" — spoken during Cantarella Needle against Amy
- "Come on!" — spoken during Quick Parade
- "You plebeian." — spoken during Quick Parade against Maxi, Seong Mi-na, Sophitia or Cassandra
- "You degenerate!" — spoken during Quick Parade against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Scholar of the Future!" — spoken during Quick Parade against Azwel
- "Amy." — spoken during Quick Parade against Amy
- "Not yet!"
- "Checkmate... That's more like it." — spoken during Death Throes
- "Checkmate... Absurd!" — spoken during Death Throes against Maxi, Seong Mi-na, Sophitia or Cassandra
- "Checkmate... Stand up!" — spoken during Death Throes against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Checkmate... No time for resting!" — spoken during Death Throes against Amy
- "On your knees!" — spoken during Vicious Viper
- "Now... dance!"
- "Know your... place!"
- "Better luck...next time."
- "It's over... How pitiful!"
- "I won't... go easy on you." — spoken during Death Puppet throw against Amy
- "Now... Begone! — spoken during A Lesson of Massacre throw against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Enough... Die!" — spoken during Thousand Hornets
- "My swordplay... is peerless!"
- "You shall make a fine pet for Amy."
- "You will do well to remember me!"
- "Excuse me, but Amy awaits."
- "The fate of humanity... lies with Amy!" — spoken after being victorious against Azwel
- "Me... lose to a peasant?" — Time Out
- "You know nothing of true love." — Time Out against Azwel
- "Don't insult my intelligence!" — Ring Out
- "Have you no shame?!" — Ring Out
- "How dare you, Amy!" — Ring Out vs Amy
- "It's over!"
- "Spirited, aren't we?" — Taunt
- "Hah. Lord Azwel" — Taunting Azwel
- "Come here... Amy." — Taunting Amy
- "Good work... Amy." — Taunting Amy after her K.O.
- "Let's see whose idea's better." — Performing Reversal Edge on Azwel
- "Quite the unique hairstyle." — Performing Reversal Edge on Maxi
- "Now, I'm mad!" — Performing Reversal Edge on low health
- "I won't back down!" — spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "Enough of this falling." — spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "You can't best me!" — spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge on low health
- "How disgraceful." — spoken when winning a Reversal Edge
- "Enjoy!" — spoken when winning a Reversal Edge
- "Amusing." — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "How wonderful!" — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "More finesse!" — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Excellent form!" — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Wonderful!" — When being knocked out by Amy
- "No. You can't!" — spoken during Guard Crush
- "How can this be?" — spoken during second Guard Crush
- "Feel this?"
- "Ignorant wretch!" — spoken during Violent Blood
- "Read your opponent." — spoken during Violent Blood against Amy
- "So careless!"
- "Too easy!"
- "You win!"
- "Wide open."
- "You're exposed."
- "Enough playing around!" — spoken when reaching Decisive Round
- "Wonderful as ever, Amy." — spoken when reaching Decisive Round against Amy
- When Raphael executes Nouveau Soleil attack, he mispronounces "grâce". He actually says something close to "Coup de gras", which means "Fat blow".
- His assumed name, "Lord Dumas", reinforce the fact that he and Nightmare are the same person in the original timeline.
- Became Lord Dumas' confidante
- Foster father of Amy
- Manipulated by Azwel into searching for Soul Edge
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|