- "Try to have some dignity."
- — Raphael
Raphael Sorel (ラファエル・ソレル, Rafaeru Soreru) is a character in the Soul series. He appears in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marked his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
His nickname is Prelude to Madness.
Raphael was born in the lineage of the French Sorel nomine. He has captured the emperor's study from childhood, learned medicine, polished sword skills and survived a bloody political fight.
Yet, his life has taken many twists and turns, from a noble family member to living as a vagabond in Spain.
As head of the Sorel family, Raphael gained a reputation as ruthless and cunning, using everything at his disposal to advance in the upper ranks of French society. However, his ambitions were thwarted after the Evil Seed in which a noble he sponsored went mad and tried to kill the king. His reputation ruined, Raphael fled from Paris to his home of Rouen, but found his clan had turned on him, ironically embracing the ruthlessness he encouraged of them.
Raphael then fled into the slums where he was seemingly cornered by the city guard. However, a young peasant girl named Amy pointed the guard's in the opposite direction which saved Raphael. Shocked and touched by such an action, he took Amy under his protection.
Raphael spent the next few years as vagrant, hiding out in Spain and honing his sword skills while also teaching Amy how to defend herself. Eventually he took the risk of going back into France, but was intercepted by assassins from the Bird of Passage. He barely managed to hold onto his life and only then due to Amy's quick thinking.
Deciding that he needed more than just a sword to protect Amy, Raphael ingratiated himself to a noble named Dumas, often dueling on his behalf. Dumas, who had no children, offered to make Raphael his heir on the condition he send Amy to an orphanage. Raphael agreed, but disposed of Dumas and then forged documents claiming Dumas had gone abroad to visit relatives. With a home, wealth, and able to give Amy an education, Raphael had managed to win back his lost place in the world.
It was then that he discovered Dumas had a document describing research into Soul Edge, in fact a part of Azwel's research into the sword. Intrigued, he decided to seek out the cursed sword in order to forge a perfect world for Amy.
In Libra of Soul, Raphael offers the player to stay in his home as thanks for protecting Amy. During a night duel, it's revealed Raphael actually spiked the player's dinner with sedatives in order to paralyze them. Having deduced that the player is connected to Soul Edge, Raphael asks that he be given the rest of the report.
Regardless of player choice, Raphael is visited by Azwel, somehow still alive despite being beaten in Astral Chaos. The two duel and Azwel is intrigued by Raphael's plans for Soul Edge. Aware that the sword is too dangerous and evil to be wielded personally, Raphael instead will give it to the nobles who will be driven mad and kill each other while any innocents killed will be used a foundation for his perfect world for his beloved Amy
Having been raised in the upper classes of French nobility, Raphael is aware of the deadly game needed to survive. Cunning, intelligent, and ruthless, Raphael looks down upon most others as beneath him, simply pawns for him to use and then discard in order to further his goals.
The exception to this is Amy, the one person who ever showed him a moment of kindness. He is utterly devoted to her and decides on creating a world in which she can be happy regardless of the casualties his actions might cause. If it weren’t for Amy, Raphael would have been turned into a mindless Malfested.
La Rapière des Sorel
Royal Poison: Raphael initiates his Critical Edge by taking a step back and moving his left hand (wielding his rapier) to his chest, while also pointing the rapier at the enemy. After the animation sequence, he takes a huge step forward and makes a upward slash. If it is successful, Raphael then slashes the enemy 2 more times in an X formation, before striking the enemy in the diaphragm, causing them to stumble back. As they stumble, Raphael takes a step away, charging his rapier with light. He will then take a massive lunge forward, piercing through the enemy with enough impact to knock them off their feet.
There is also another version of Royal Poison if you use it in the Preparation stance, making his initial hit a break attack.
- "You think you can win?" — Character Selection, 1P choice
- "This won't take long." — Character Selection, 2P choice
- "Welcome. I shall grant you death."
- "Let me show you... my blade's beauty."
- "Quickly now! Amy awaits me."
- "Do not delude yourself, thou wretched fool!"
- "An intriguing offer... but I must decline." — spoken when engaging in battle with Azwel.
- "En garde!"
- "Let us begin."
- "Well now?"
- "You dare!"
- "Is that all?"
- "Reckless!" — spoken when dodging with Circular/Spiral Envelopment
- "What's wrong?" — spoken when dodging with Circular/Spiral Envelopment
- "It's time... for you to perish." — activating Soul Charge
- "Give me strength... Amy." — activating Soul Charge on low health
- "Now... we go for real." — activating Soul Charge against Amy
- "Behold.. my prelude for the future!" — activating Soul Charge against Azwel
- "Okay, Amy, let us begin today's practice!" — spoken when engaging a battle with Amy.
- "You have improved... Let us call it a day." — Spoken after being victorious against Amy.
- "Try to have some dignity." — Starting Critical Edge
- "Still want more?" — at the end of Critical Edge
- "Now again." — at the end of Critical Edge against Amy
- "With my blade, I shall forge a new world!" — at the end of K.O Critical Edge
- "Get ready!" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge
- "Let's dance." — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge
- "Hah. Is that it?" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge
- "Such foolishness!" — spoken upon blocking a Reversal Edge
- "You should keep your opponent in sight." — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Is it over?" — spoken upon landing a Reversal Edge against Amy
- "Coup de grâce!"
- "Rest in peace! — spoken during Bloody Funeral
- "React to this, Amy! — spoken during Bloody Funeral against Amy
- "Not over yet!"
- "Watch closely" — spoken during some moves against Amy
- "Don't force it!" — spoken during some moves against Amy
- "Like that!" — spoken during Cantarella Needle against Amy
- "Come on!"
- "You plebeian." — spoken during Quick Parade against Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi or Sophitia
- "You degenerate!" — spoken during Quick Parade against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Scholar of the Future!" — spoken during Quick Parade against Azwel
- "Amy." — spoken during Quick Parade against Amy
- "Not yet!"
- "Checkmate... That's more like it." — spoken during Death Throes
- "Checkmate... Absurd!" — spoken during Death Throes against Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi or Sophitia
- "Checkmate... Stand up!" — spoken during Death Throes against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Now... dance!"
- "Know your... place!"
- "Better luck...next time."
- "It's over... How pitiful!"
- "I won't... go easy on you." — spoken during Death Puppet throw against Amy
- "Now... Begone! — spoken during A Lesson of Massacre throw against Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Taki, Voldo or Inferno
- "Enough... Die!" — spoken during Thousand Hornets
- "My swordplay... is peerless!"
- "You shall make a fine pet for Amy."
- "You will do well to remember me!"
- "Excuse me, but Amy awaits."
- "The fate of humanity... lies with Amy!" — spoken after being victorious against Azwel
- "Me... lose to a peasant?" — Time Out
- "You know nothing of true love." — Time Out against Azwel
- "Don't insult my intelligence!" — Ring Out
- "Have you no shame?!" — Ring Out
- "How dare you, Amy!" — Ring Out (vs. Amy)
- "It's over!"
- "Spirited, aren't we?" — Taunt
- "Hah. Lord Azwel" — Taunting Azwel
- "Come here... Amy." — Taunting Amy
- "Good work... Amy." — Taunting Amy after her K.O.
- "Let's see whose idea's better." — Performing Reversal Edge on Azwel
- "Quite the unique hairstyle." — Performing Reversal Edge on Maxi
- "Now, I'm mad!" — Performing Reversal Edge on low health
- "I won't back down!" — spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "Enough of this falling." — spoken during unsuccessful Reversal Edge
- "How disgraceful." — spoken when winning a Reversal Edge
- "Enjoy!" — spoken when winning a Reversal Edge
- "Amusing." — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "How wonderful!" — spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "Wonderful!" — When being knocked out by Amy
- "No. You can't!" — spoken during Guard Crush
- "How can this be?" — spoken during second Guard Crush
- "Feel this?"
- "So careless!"
- "Too easy!"
- "You win!"
- "Enough playing around!" — spoken when reached to Decisive Round
- "Wonderful as ever, Amy." — spoken when reached to Decisive Round against Amy
- When Raphael executes Nouveau Soleil attack, he mispronounces "grâce". He actually says something close to "Coup de gras", which means "Fat blow".
- His assumed name, "Lord Dumas", reinforce the fact that he and Nightmare are the same person in the Original Timeline
- ^ https://sc6.soularchive.jp/character/raphael.php
- ^ https://gematsu.com/2018/09/soulcalibur-vi-raphael-trailer-screenshots
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|