- "I won't lose, father."
- — Seong Mi-na
Seong Mi-na (ソン・ミナ, Son Mina, Hanja: 成美那, Hangul: 성미나) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. She appeared in the Soulcalibur VI, which marks her debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
She is nicknamed Daughter of the Bladed Rod.
Seong Mi-na could cope with being called a "fake boy," but this was a step too far: Han-myeong, her father and the master of the dojo where she trained, was searching for a marriage suitor for her... "You don't give a damn about I feel!" she raged. As for Hwang, who was like a brother to her, well... It wouldn't have killed him to be more understanding either. Though he'd only just arrived to meet his master, Han-myeong, Hwang decided not to stick around. To Seong Mi-na, running away from home was starting to seem more and more like an attractive idea...
Thanks to Hwang, Mi-na escaped from battle with her life intact. Granted, the idea of returning home with her tail between her legs riled her, but he could hardly complain given how much she owed the man. And at least it proved how much he cared about her... Harboring all manner of ambivalent feelings, Mi-na arrived home only to be met with a surprise. While she was away, her father had not given up trying to find her a suitor. Though unable to hide her shock, Mi-na had at least learned to control her anger. (After all, her father was only doing what he felt was best for her.) For the time being, she decided to keep her opinions to herself. Did this mean she'd done some maturing on her journey, after all?
Other Soul Chronicles
During her quest for Soul Edge, Seong Mi-na encountered Ivy, who easily insulted her for her lack of knowledge of the sword's evil nature. Enraged for also being called a child, Seong Mi-na fought Ivy but was soundly defeated. Despite showing resilience, she could not get a rematch as Ivy left for her own journey.
Seong Mi-na came across the Conduit and Grøh and insisted on following them. She seemingly backed down after she lost to the Conduit, but she later aided the pair, Dion and Natalie escape from a Malfested's lair.
Later, Seong Mi-na was being escorted back home by Hwang when they were suddenly attacked by bandits. Before Hwang could tell her what to do, she ran off to reach their hideout and defeated them. Then, when Hwang and the Conduit were coming to rescue her, Seong Mi-na attacked the latter, thinking that they were the bandit’s leader. After losing the fight, she was stopped by Hwang, and later found out that it was the Conduit that she was fighting. Revealing that she planned to protect her country without Soul Edge, Seong Mi-na bid farewell to the Conduit as she and Hwang headed for home.
Seong Mi-na fought the Conduit again in a friendly sparring match when they came to visit her father’s dojo, and later revealed that morale and enthusiasm were low with the students. She then requested their help to stir up the students by pretending to challenge them to take over the dojo. Seong Mi-na and the students lost, and she stirred them to get back to training.
Seong Mi-na is a woman of well-built physique, standing at 5'4, making her taller than her fellow woman compatriots.
Like her previous installments, she still wears an outfit where her navel exposed as well as her hairstyle in braids. However, her default haircut is cut as part of her armor damage.
Like her first and second appearances, Seong Mi-na is sassy, free-spirited, and has a bit of childish personality. She is a character who proves herself that she can be like Hwang who can protect her homeland despite the gender discrimination.
She is one of the few characters who does not possess any supernatural abilities/powers nor evil tainted blood, thus she relies on her strength, martial prowess, and sheer tenacity.
Seong Mi-na's outfit is a redesign of her bonus costume from Soul Edge/Soul Blade. Her Color 1 is a pink and purple palette with red on her Scarlet Thunder's shaft.
Her Color 3 is her Soul Blade red and white palette. Her Scarlet Thunder has the same red shaft as her Color 1.
Her Color 4 is based off of Yun-Seong, complete with her hair cut short and slightly darker skin. Her Scarlet Thunder's shaft is recolored black.
Weapon & Style
This zanbatou has been passed down through the Seong family from generation to generation. As its appearance implies, it is quite heavy. Despite its weight, Seong Mi-na, who as a child swung Scarlet Thunder instead of playing with toys, finds it extremely easy to use.
Her choice to bring the zanbatou with her when she left home was likely not to raise the ire of her father over taking the family heirloom, Rather, it’s far more probable that she chose the weapon simply because she was so used to having it by her side. Scarlet Thunder was simply the most dependable traveling companion Seong Mi-na could have chosen.
Seong-style Longsword and Staff Techniques
As one would expect of the only daughter of the Seong Dojang master, Seong Mi-na trained fiercely in the art of the blade and acquired great strength and agility. However, after Ivy defeated her ease, Seong Mi-na was left despairing at her own weakness. But someone as fiery as Seong Mi-na could not stay gloomy for long. Soon, she met a skilled warrior name Kong, and forced him to take her on as a disciple and teach her the staff techniques of the Ling-Sheng Su Temple. Once, Seong Mi-na finally convinced the relictant Kong to train her, he set her to work with gusto. Kong set her an extremely difficult training regimen. However, Seong Mi-na showed an uncharacteristic amount of patience and dedication, and through hard work and natural talent quickly mastered the new style, making its techniques her own.
By masterfully controlling her center of gravity, Seong Mi-na is able to pull off moves as powerful as they are graceful. As she fights, she switches between striking with her weapon's blade, and swinging it like a staff. By the time Seong Mi-na returned from her journey, she has become a far greater and more accomplished warrior.
New Seong Style: Scarlet Meteor: Knocks her opponent down, then slashes her opponent up. She then juggles them by spinning herself and her blade, generating a cyclone, and charges the blade before finishing them with another strike that also summons lightning from the ground.
- "I'm gonna go all out now!" – 1P Character Selection
- "Let's begin!" — 2P Character Selection
- "Let's get this over with." — 1P entrance
- "Hmph! Say what you like." — 2P entrance
- "I will never lose!" — 1P entrance
- "I won't be beaten... so easily, you know!" — 2P entrance
- "Nothing personal." - spoken when performing Reversal Edge
- "You're gonna pay now!" — activating Critical Edge
- "I have no plans to... lose!" — conclusion of Critical Edge
- "Can you stand?" - Spoken after executing Critical Edge
- "Learned your lesson?" - Spoken after executing Critical Edge
- "Phew...Would you knock it off?" — upon winning a battle using Critical Edge.
- "Now...it's time to go wild!" — spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Father, watch over me!" — spoken when activating Soul Charge in low health
- "I won't lose, father."
- "How about training at Seong dojang?"
- "Hoo... what a cinch!"
- "Whew... that felt good."
- "Here you go!"
- "Go away!"
- "Now... take this!"
- "Fly!" — spoken when she executes Sky Blossom.
- "You're open!" — spoken when she executes Lightning Fang.
- "Not today!"
- "But how...?!" - spoken during a Ring Out.
- "I'm speechless!" - spoken during a Ring Out.
- "No way!" — spoken when she executes Retreating Sands.
- "Whoa! His hair's gonna stab me!" – Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "I'm mad now." — spoken when she executes Whirling Willow Frenzy.
- "Say... goodnight!" — during Riding Mustang throw.
- "From here!"
- "You need more training."
- "The climax."
- "Get serious."
- "You're mine!"
- "Get ready!"
- "No chance!"
- "Too easy!"
- "Size isn't everything!" — spoken when engaging a battle with Ivy.
- "I'm not jealous... Not one bit!" — Spoken after being victorious against Ivy.
- "You're so mean. Urrgh!" — Spoken upon losing a Time Out.
- "You jerk!"
- "Fa...ther..." — Standing KO
- "I lost to her... in every way." — Spoken upon losing a Time Out against Ivy.
- "No frustration here." – Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Ivy.
- "You're strong..."
- "Ha-ha. Wee-hey!" – Taunt
- "Yup. Super easy!" – Taunting KO'd opponent
- "My feet!" – Tremor
- "Better... think again!"
- Trained by Kong Xiuqiang
- Self-proclaimed rival of Ivy Valentine after losing to her
- Daughter of Seong Han-myeong
- Sees Hwang like a brother
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Hilde | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|