- "I will not surrender to this nightmare!"
- — Siegfried
Siegfried Schtauffen (ジークフリート・シュタウフェン, Jīkufurīto Shutaufen) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. He appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks his debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline. His nickname is A Soul in the Purgatory (明日なき魂 Ashita naki tamashī?).
After losing to Kilik and his comrades in the form of Nightmare, Siegfried awoke in an unfamiliar place and he is now unable to free himself from the unforgiving memories of his time spent as the cursed sword’s puppet. The memory of having killed his own father is haunting him. His true nightmare has only just begun… Full of regrets, he is looking for redemption and he desperately wants to free himself from the cursed sword’s grasp!
After being defeated by Kilik in Ostrheinsburg, Siegfried awakes in a nearby forest, having reverted back to his original persona after years of being overcome by Soul Edge. He is wracked with guilt over his patricide and the massacres he committed as Nightmare.
He spends some time afterward wandering the land and lamenting his existence while simultaneously having to deal with those seeking revenge against him. As such, Siegfried wonders if there is any way he can truly atone for his crimes.
Eventually he has a chance encounter with Sophitia who insists she can help him, but Siegfried refuses her assistance. Eventually she manages to use her power of purification on him, but it's incomplete as his malfestation is too deeply rooted. It does, however, give him peace of mind and he swears to Sophitia that he will take care of Soul Edge.
Siegfried continues to wander in order to keep the shattered Soul Edge he has from falling into the wrong hands, especially Malfested who are drawn to its aura. With every life Siegfried is forced to take, the sword's hold on him increases and when he sleeps it attempts to take him over
It is then that Siegfried manages to hear Soul Calibur, which is need of help. Siegfried agrees, his body becoming Nightmare once more, and enters Astral Chaos in which he faces off against an apparition of Nightmare and Inferno in order to keep Soul Edge from absorbing Soul Calibur.
Siegfried manages to defeat his opponents and afterward see Soul Calibur. Siegfried bides his time, waiting for the chance to strike and regain control.
Siegfried appears as a physically-fit young man with long blond hair and a scar across his right eye. He is clad in a suit of ornate steel plate armor and a long white scarf, with his upper body bare under the armor. Underneath his right gauntlet there are bandages, to conceal his previously malfested arm, which is now ashen due to it.
In a flashback to the ending of Soul Edge, he lacks the scar and has short hair, wearing a different suit of plate armor with bandages wrapped around his hands.
After murdering his father by accident, Siegfried lost his sanity - convincing himself that someone else had done it - and became obsessed with revenge, seeking out Soul Edge for the power it would give him. Inferno took advantage of this, impersonating his father's ghost to manipulate him into becoming the malfested warrior Nightmare.
After his humanity is restored, Siegfried not only retains the memories of the atrocities he committed as Nightmare but realizes that he is the one who killed his father. Initially overcome with despair and self-loathing, he is reduced to a sobbing wreck. An encounter with Sophitia, who offers him words of wisdom while attempting to cleanse his malfestation, restores Siegfried's resolve and inspires him to atone for his sins - though he expresses doubt that's possible. Realizing that if he is killed, someone else will obtain Soul Edge and become a new Nightmare, he resolves to prevent the cursed sword from claiming another host. Upon realizing that with every battle he fights Soul Edge is growing stronger and threatening to turn him into Nightmare again, Siegfried willingly sacrifices his humanity to rescue Soul Calibur from Inferno - trapping his consciousness within Astral Chaos alongside the Spirit Sword - but remains determined to destroy Soul Edge once Nightmare is weakened enough for him to break free.
The giant two-handed sword used by this style both fortress and weapon. Slash follows slash as intricate stance shifts allow its user to compensate for the blade's weight-indeed, to use it to quickly transition to yet another block or strike, confounding an opponent and breaking their guard. When on the defensive, mighty blows made with all the wielder's spirit behind them are powerful enough to shatter boulders, and can instantly turn a losing battle into a triumphant victory. Siegfried unique ability in game is his "Dark Legacy" mode, reached when his health is at 25% or lower, shown as his body glows. During this state, he gains access to new Lethal Hit moves, and Nightmare's shockwave. Furthermore, his Critical Edge (and his quote after KOing someone with it) implies that the remnants of Soul Edge's power lingers on him still.
Deep Scar: Siegfried swings his sword. If the target escapes, or is downed, the move ends here. If it catches an airbone or standing opponent, he will be launched to the air, whereas Siegfried grinds his sword to the right, sending the falling enemy to the air once more. Charging his sword with the remnants of Soul Edge's power on his body, he spins clockwise and strike the opponent with both his sword and the flames created by the cursed sword's power. The move does 8 hits.
- Large Tachi
- Octagonal Rod
- Great Sword
- "Let's do this!" — Selection Screen 1
- "I will end this nightmare." — Selection Screen 2
- "Just leave me alone already!" — Spoken when engaging a battle with Sophitia
- "Why hasten your death?!"
- "Step aside. I've sinned enough already."
- "My life... is not for your taking!"
- "I've no time for you... Let's end this quickly."
- "I cannot lose!" — Spoken when using Soul Wave: Aftermath
- "Get away from me!" — Spoken when using Soul Wave: Aftermath
- "Admit it! We are the same." — Spoken when engaging a battle with Nightmare
- "I'm ready." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge
- "Okay, let's go!" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge
- "Time to end this!" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge
- "Take this." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge
- "It'll be over soon." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge with enemy on low health
- "Your terror ends with me!" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "I will finish this!" — Spoken when struck by Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "Why will you not give up?" — Spoken when struck by Reversal Edge against Sophitia
- "I don't need a savior." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Sophitia
- "Are you so desperate to die?" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Sophitia
- "Get out of my sight." — Spoken after second hit of Reversal Edge
- "Not quite." — Spoken when evading Reversal Edge
- "Not a chance." — Spoken when evading Reversal Edge
- "How could I lose?" — Spoken when truck by Guard Crush
- "My strength fails..." — Spoken when truck by Guard Crush a second time
- "Will I ever... be saved?" — Taunt
- "I shall not... forget this pain!" — Taunt after knocking out the opponent
- "It's... time!" — Spoken when using Nightmare Killer
- "The nightmare... ends with me!" — Spoken when using Nightmare Killer throw against Nightmare
- "Stand... aside!" — Spoken when using Nightmare Killer throw against Sophitia
- "Is that it?"
- "Now watch!"
- "How's this?"
- "Back off."
- "Out of my sight!"
- "Give in."
- "Give up."
- "No escape!"
- "Eat this!"
- "Time to die!"
- "Step aside."
- "This ends here!"
- "This ends now!"
- "What's wrong?" — Spoken when using Guard Impact
- "My hand!"
- "Sorry, but your path ends here." — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "I will... continue on!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge with low health
- "Let's do this!" — Spoken when activating Critical Edge
- "Taste... the power of my sword!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Haven't had enough?" — Spoken at end of Critical Edge
- "I will finish this!" — Spoken at end of Critical Edge with low health
- "Die already!" — Spoken at end of Critical Edge against Nightmare
- "I'd hoped I wouldn't have to rely on this strength..." — At end of KO Critical Edge
- "You can never get rid of me!" — Spoken on decisive round against Nightmare
- "I'm just getting started." — Spoken on decisive round against Sophitia
- "Looks like I have no choice." — Spoken on decisive round
- "You will go no further!" — Spoken on decisive round for both characters
- "Ngh... I will not surrender to this nightmare!" — Spoken in a victory against Nightmare
- "Forgive me..."
- "Ngh... Curse this evil..."
- "I must hurry... before I lose myself entirely..."
- "I cannot die... without fulfilling my duty."
- "I shall pay... for my sins myself." — Spoken in a victory against Sophitia
- "This is what I deserve."
- "I cannot fall like this!" — KOed by Ring Out
- "I don't have time for this!" — KOed by Ring Out
- "Is this... the end for me?"
- "I can't let you leave here."
- "This ends... now!"
- ^ https://sc6.soularchive.jp/character/siegfried.php
- ^ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoQvn1fXkAEaZwI.jpg
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Astaroth | Azwel | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|