In this Chinese name, the family name is Chai (柴).
Chai Xianghua (チャイ・シャンファ, Chai Shanfa, Chinese: 柴香華 Pinyin: Chái Xiānghuà) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. She made her debut in Soulcalibur and has become one of the most recognizable and iconic characters in the franchise.
Chai Xianghua bears strong physcial characteristics of a Chinese Woman in her era, like the hair and fashion style. During her initial development, she was made reference to that of a Chinese child, which also made obvious in her facial features.
Chai Xianghua is a cheerful young woman. She is kind and seems to sound and seems to act a little childish at times, including smacking her buttocks in a taunting manner. She never gives up and is faithful to her friends. She shares many similarities with Ling Xiaoyu of Tekken and Lei Fang of Dead or Alive.
- No Name
- Straight Sword
- Northern Star
- Soul Calibur (Evil)
- Qi Xing Sword
- Blue Storm
- Soul Edge (Complete) Xianghua
- Soul Calibur (Chinese Blade)
- Calligraphy Brush
- The Ancient (Xianghua)
- Emperor's Garden (SC) (Note: known as Ming Emperor's Villa in the arcade version.)
- Xiwei Siege Ruins (SC2) (Note: Xianghua shares this stage with Mitsurugi)
- Lotus Garden (SC3)
- Hall of the Warrior God (SC4/SCBD)
- "Bloom and Harvest"
- "Water Dance"
- "Tempered Soul"
- The three treasures of the Ling-Sheng Su Temple are all named after the Yugas - the names of eras in Hindu philosophy. The Krita-Yuga refers to the age of meditation, a Golden Age free from unhappiness. Hence, the Krita-Yuga/Soul Calibur's reputation as a force of good.
- Xianghua's No Name looks exactly like Krita-Yuga in Soulcalibur and does not match Edge Master's jian. Krita-Yuga obtains a different look in Soulcalibur II.
- Xianghua's Destined Battle in Soulcalibur is Nightmare. In Soulcalibur II, her Destined Battle is Kilik, and in Soulcalibur III, her Destined Battle is Cervantes. In Soulcalibur IV, she must fight Algol as her final boss in Story mode.
- Xianghua has a strong fondness for Kilik, bordering on romantic feelings. This is shown in one of her Soulcalibur III endings, as well as in all of Kilik's endings within the same game. This relationship is greatly expanded upon in Xianghua's Soulcalibur IV ending. It is implied in both this ending and Kilik's good ending in Soulcalibur III that the feeling may be reciprocated. In the official artbook for Soulcalibur V, it is revealed that Xianghua and Kilik parted ways some time after the events of Soulcalibur IV. Shortly after, Xianghua gave birth to his son, Xiba.
- As a suggestion of her husband, Wujin, Xianghua pays a visit to Kong Xiuqiang and Xiba once a year. Xiba is not aware that the woman who visits him is his mother, however.
- Some of Xianghua's moves are similar to Ling Xiaoyu's (and a few from Jun Kazama/Asuka Kazama) from the Tekken series.
- Just like with Ling Xiaoyu, Xianghua also slaps her own buttocks.
- Xianghua's Soulcalibur II hairstyle is available as one of the hairstyles in character creation in the Chinese MMORPG Perfect World.
- Xianghua has a "joke" attack where she slams on the floor like a child in temper.
- Xianghua's English voice actress, Wendee Lee, is known for voicing Umi Ryuzaki and Princess Emeraude from Magic Knight Rayearth, Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, Takeru "T.K." Takaishi from Digimon Adventure, Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Konata Izumi from Lucky ☆ Star.
- Xianghua's joke attack in Soulcalibur changed as the series progressed. Reason being is that the attack in Soulcalibur depleted a good amount of health but as the series continued, the depleting of health decreased.
- In early conceptions, Xianghua was supposed to made similar to that of a Chinese child.
- Xianghua's marriage with Yan Wujin has not received many positive reviews as many fans were such fans of her relationship with Kilik.
- Xianghua's nickname in Soulcalibur is "Flower in the Breeze."
- Xianghua's Japanese voice in Soulcalibur II was also used for Rikku's voice in Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy.
- Listening to Xianghua's "Destined Battle" line in her profile and listening to it in the actual game leads to an inconistency; according to her profile, her line is; "I can't let you go any further, Kilik." However, in the game, she says "Kilik..." and then Kilik says his lines, and then she answers "I can't let you go any further.". In the Japanese version, her line was "Get out of my way, Kilik." This is the same in the profile, which is probably how the mistake came about.
- Xianghua and Kilik are the only characters to have a weapons demonstration in which both participate together, as shown if the controller is untouched in the title screen.
- In Xianghua's Story Mode in Soulcalibur IV, she is accompanied by Kilik throughout all of the stages. In Kilik's Story Mode, Xianghua does help him for the first two stages, but then Kilik leaves her behind and carries on ahead.
- Xianghua's 1P outfit is similar to Xianghua's bonus costume in the original Soulcalibur.
- Her 1P costume (color-wise) and her left side throw are similar to Asuka Kazama's from the Tekken series.
- Xianghua's hairstyle resembles that of Fon Master Ion from Tales of the Abyss. Ironically, Ion is male & his hair is green.
- With Nightmare wielding the Soul Edge and her wielding the Soul Calibur, they are the only characters to have eight weapons, with the other characters having seven.
Chái Xiāng Huà means "firewood fragrant flower" in Chinese if each character is taken literally and logically. Chái (柴) is a Chinese surname that can also mean "firewood." Xiāng (香) is "fragrant." Huà (花) can mean "flower."
- Soulcalibur II
- Soulcalibur III
- Soulcalibur IV
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
- Soulcalibur: Unbreakable Soul
- Soulcalibur VI
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han-myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|