- "All together! Justice will prevail!"
- — Xianghua
Chai Xianghua (チャイ・シャンファ, Chai Shanfa, Chinese: 柴香華, Pinyin: Chái Xiānghuà) is a character in the Soul series of fighting games. She appeared in the game Soulcalibur VI, which marks her debut appearance in the new, rebooted Soulcalibur timeline.
She is nicknamed Traveling Artist (涼風の旅芸人 Suzukaze no Tabigeinin?).
Xianghua would not recognize her own father if he were to pass her in the street, because her mother had never spoken of him. Xianghua’s mother was from the prestigious Chai family in Beijing, and taught Xianghua swordsmanship from a young age, treating her with a firm but loving hand. Xianghua sensed those moments held some deeper significance than her mother was letting on… Perhaps it had something to do with her father, she surmised. Two years after her mother’s death, she decided to focus on the way of the sword. With every passing day, her passion burned ever more strongly.
The Ming Empire had created an investigation unit to look for the Hero’s Sword, but the unit’s efforts proved fruitless. Frustrated, the emperor deployed a unit comprised of his own personal guards, including Xianghua, who had fought hard to earn her place. Some believed entrusting such a task to the emperor’s guard was dangerous for the country: who would protect their leader? The news caused quite a stir. Xianghua’s friend Meimei requested she look for her brother Li Long, who went missing while searching for Soul Edge as part of the investigation unit… The emperor’s guard investigated the sword’s whereabouts, splitting up as they obtained new information, until eventually Xianghua was left traveling alone. Venturing westward, she met Kilik and Maxi. But what did their encounter mean? Was it fate? Of this, she couldn’t be sure yet.
At the suggestion from a relative of the Chai family, Xianghua began her application for a position in the imperial guard. When she started the exam, she befriended Liang Lingyu, who was the only other woman to apply for the guard. As the exam continued, the two friends trained vigorously together. After she became an officer cadet, Xianghua joined the search for the Hero's Sword but it ended in failure.
In the final exam, Xianghua was forced to fight Lingyu as only one could pass the exam. Despite hesitating at first, Xianghua bested her friend, but was in tears afterwards. With encouraging words from Lingyu, Xianghua accepted the position in the imperial guard.
When Xianghua joined Kilik and Maxi in the Middle East, the three of them gathered information on the Schwarzstrom. After Kilik was assaulted by Grøh, Xianghua admitted to the monk about her mission from the emperor to search for Soul Edge and bring it back to the Ming Empire. Learning from Kilik that the sword was pure evil, Xianghua decided to abandon her imperial mission and aid Kilik and Maxi.
As they headed for Ostrheinsburg, Xianghua and Kilik were ambushed by Taki, who used Mekki-Maru to unleash the monk’s Malfested form. Xianghua quickly stepped in, unknowingly using Krita-Yuga’s hidden powers to combat Taki. But when she was quickly caught off guard by the ninja, Xianghua was rescued by Kilik, who had controlled his Malfestation. The pair was then warned by Taki of Soul Edge’s growing power. After rejoining with Maxi, the three of them were ambushed by a horde of Lizardmen. While Kilik and Maxi rushed to fight them, Xianghua was attacked by Ivy but managed to fend her off long enough for her companions to return.
When they neared Ostrheinsburg, Xianghua and Kilik were forced to leave Maxi fighting Astaroth alone as they followed Grøh to the castle. After Kilik defeated Nightmare, they were pulled into the Astral Chaos as Inferno emerged from the defeated Azure Knight’s armor. It was in that moment that Krita-Yuga revealed itself as Soul Calibur, and Xianghua used its power to defeat Inferno. But she collapsed from exhaustion, leaving her wide open for Inferno to attack. Suddenly, she was saved by Kilik, who weakened Inferno enough for her to deliver the fatal blow. But shortly afterwards, the Astral Chaos began to crumble and threatened to consume Xianghua and Kilik. They were saved when Soul Calibur sacrificed itself to save them from the torrent and allowed them to escape.
As they looked over the ruins of Ostrheinsburg, Xianghua showed Kilik a fragment of the Dvapara-Yuga, which was shattered when Kilik shielded Xianghua from Inferno. She held onto the mirror fragment at his request.
Xianghua often dresses with varied blue hue colors in her main costumes. She has the hair style which are prominent to women during her time, most especially to the teenage women. She always has a lotus flower theme, as her daughter Leixia in the previous installment.
Chai Xianghua is cute and sounds a bit childish, however she never gives up on her friends, and does not give up on her promise to her mother to cut her own path using the Krita-Yuga.
Her attire is mainly inspired by previous alternate attires mixed with some elements and colors from her initial Soulcalibur appearance. Her Color 1 follows her traditional blue colors.
Her Color 2 is mainly black.
Her Color 3 is mainly red, based on her Soulcalibur Player 2 costume.
Her Color 4 is all white.
Weapon & Style
This fighting style makes use of quick slashes dished out by the Chinese sword. Every swing flows smoothly and elegantly like a choreographed dance as they poke and prod at weak points in enemy defenses. The Silent Xia Sheng (SXS) special stance can also be used to stage confusing, unpredictable attacks on enemies, one in particular involving Xianghua slapping her buttocks, pointing, and flicking her hand to "shoo" towards her opponent. 
The sword she inherited from her mother is a priceless treasure to Xianghua. Whenever she holds it in her hand and practices the forms her mother taught her, she feels both an aching sadness, and a familiar warmth. She has no way of knowing this, but that sword, is one of the three sacred treasures of Ling-Sheng Su, Krita-Yuga. “Use that sword to open a way to the ever-changing future.” With her mother’s words in heart, Xianghua set out on a journey which led to her fateful meeting with Kilik.
And now, what destiny does her sword had in mind for her next…?
Sword arts passed down from her mother
Xianghua learned how to wield a sword from her mother, Xiangfei. Xiangfei passed on the skills she learned at Ling-Sheng Su, but Xianghua never knew the origin of her mother’s techniques. One thing is certain, however; when Xianghua was little, she was enraptured by the beauty of her mother practicing the sword.
Xianghua has added her own moves to the techniques taught her. Her personal style relies less on taking her opponent down with head-on attacks and more on feints—landing a decisive blow only after her opponent has left an opening for her to exploit.
The beauty and deadly grace of her movements can make it seem that she is dancing with her sword, and can captivate even her opponents.
Sublimating Blade: A blindingly fast critical edge with relatively short reach. It can be used in air combos or as a counter after blocking an attack. This is a guaranteed hit after an opponent attempts to block some of her break attacks.
- "Let's do this!" - 1P Character Selection
- "I'm ready!" — 2P Character Selection
- "You think you can keep up?"
- "This is my big moment! I'm in!"
- "Eii, yah! Fall in love yet?"
- "Looks like I have to give my all!" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Taki, Ivy, Nightmare, Astaroth, Inferno or Cervantes
- "Watch over me... mother!" — Spoken at the start of Critical Edge
- "You... You can't... Stop me!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Just kidding!" — Spoken after KO'ing an opponent with Critical Edge.
- "Do you give up?" — Spoken when Critical Edge doesn't KO an opponent
- "How's this?"
- "I won't hold back!"
- "Thanks for the exercise!"
- "Is that any way to treat a lady?" — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Kilik.
- "All together! Justice will prevail!" — Spoken after defeating Taki, Ivy, Nightmare, Astaroth, Inferno or Cervantes
- "You have to be joking!" — Upon suffering a Ring Out
- "WHAAAT?!" — Upon suffering another Ring Out after the first one.
- "This is... where it ends." — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "I... refuse to lose!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge while low on health
- "It's over!"
- "Block this!"
- "How's this?"
- "How's another?"
- "I see ya!" — Performing Guard Impact.
- "You're so mean!"
- "Try this!"
- "That's great."
- "Turn and... strike!"
- "Ready?! Eii yah!" — spoken when performing Scintillating Waterfall during Soul Charge
- "Did you see the real me?" — Blocking a Reversal Edge on Kilik.
- "Have you fallen for me?" — Landing a Reversal Edge from Kilik.
- "I think we've met before." — spoken upon performing Soul Reversal against Kilik
- "You lose, you change your hairstyle." — Landing a Critical Edge on Maxi.
- "You will regret fighting me!" — Spoken after landing a Reversal Edge.
- "I won't hold back!" — Spoken after landing a Reversal Edge
- "I won't give up!" — Spoken after landing a Reversal Edge with low health.
- "Too slow!" — Spoken after blocking a Reversal Edge with on health
- "Not quite!" — Spoken when dodging an attack during a Reversal Edge.
- "I was saving this!" — spoken when performing an attack in Reversal Edge
- "Justice will prevail!" — spoken when performing an attack in Reversal Edge
- "Kilik... Sorry!" — Spoken when using the "Yuen Chuei Shaur" throw against Kilik.
- "Damn you."
- "Maxi... Sorry!" — Spoken when using the "Yuen Chuei Shaur" throw against Maxi.
- "What on earth?"
- "This is... where it ends." - Spoken when activating Soul Charge.
- "I... refuse to lose!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge in low health.
- "I won't hold back!" - Spoken upon reaching a Decisive Round
- "No more games!" — Spoken upon reaching a Decisive Round
- "This one's something special!" - Spoken upon reaching a Decisive Round
- "I'm not gonna lose anymore." — Spoken upon reaching a Decisive Round with Kilik
- "Not good..." — Suffering a Guard Burst.
- "Well? I'm pretty good, right?" — Spoken after defeating Kilik.
- "We should train together more often, Maxi." — Spoken when engaging in a battle against Maxi.
- "What's wrong, Maxi? Cat got your tongue?" — Spoken after defeating Maxi.
- "How could this be?" — spoken after losing by Time Out
- "But... I can't afford to lose." — spoken after losing to Inferno by Time Out
- "I'm...bored now..." — Taunting a downed opponent
- Youngest daughter of Chai Xiangfei and Kong Xiuqiang
- Younger sister of Xianglian, but did not know of her existance
- Childhood friend of Meimei
- Met Lingyu when applying as an Emperor's guard and became her companion and friendly rival
- Friend and travel companion of Maxi and Kilik
- Defeated Inferno by wielding Soul Calibur with the help of Kilik
- A situational ally of Grøh through Kilik. He appears to know that her Krita-Yuga has a Soul Calibur within
- Fended off Taki from turning Kilik into his Malfested form
- Fought Ivy with no result
- ^ http://sc6.soularchive.jp/character/chai.php As stated on her official profile.
- ^ https://www.psu.com/news/soul-calibur-6-release-date-roster-news-gameplay-and-trailers/
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Hilde | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|