Zasalamel (ザサラメール, Zasaramēru), is a character in the Soul series of fighting games, a man with no allegiances except to himself, though his actions may reasonably be defined as evil. He possess great magical abilities.
Zasalamel possess high fighting skill with his death scythes. Zasalamel also possess high magic abilities and could master most spells after seeing them used once. It is almost impossible to truly kill Zasalamel, as whenever he dies his soul will be reborn in a new body with all of his previous bodies traits and memories. He is capable of using a special magic to open up a magnet portal to the jet-black world of the abyss. He can also open up a portal to the void, which he can seal up when he no longer needs it. He is also capable of creating soild illusions that can fight, and also summoning undead servants (like Revenant).
- Zasalamel may originally be Sumerian, judging by the names of his attacks being figures of Sumerian myth and legend, which would make him the only known character to be Sumerian.
- It is said that his golden left eye contains his soul, which stays with him in all his incarnations.
- Zasalamel's normal eye is gray, which is very rare outside of Northern and Eastern Europe.
- In an interview prior to the release of Soulcalibur III, Senior Designer, Hideo Yoshie, mentioned that it's "possible" Zasalamel was a woman in a past life.
- With the murder of the remnants of his old tribe by the hands of Raphael, Zasalamel is perhaps the only individual left who knows of their ways and techniques.
- Zasalamel is the first and only black character in the Soul series to date (although it should noted that Spawn, the Xbox exclusive character in Soul Calibur II, was black when he was alive). The origin of the current incarnation is speculated to be in the Nubian region of Africa.
- It appears that in Zasalamel's Input Ending, Zasalamel is dead when he finishes his last book, or waiting for his life to end. Some argue that it is neither, that he is just asleep from writing so many books.
- Zasalamel and his alter-ego, Abyss, are the only characters in Soulcalibur III's Tales of Souls Story Mode to be fought in everyones' story even if the player uses Zasalamel.
- In Chain of Souls, Zasalamel is one of two characters shown exploiting both Siegfried and Nightmare, the first being Shura.
- It seems that the only known way to play as Revenant is to play through Zasalamel's Story Mode.
- In the Story Modes of Siegfried, Kilik, and Algol, Zasalamel creates illusions of those who are close to these three and who are now dead. It should also be noted that all these people were inadvertently killed by the respective character. In Siegfried's, Zasalamel creates his father Frederick, who Siegfried accidentally killed. In Kilik's, he recreates Xianglian, Kilik's beloved adopted sister and Xianghua's biological sister, and in Algol's, he recreates Arcturus, Algol's son who the king was forced to kill thousands of years ago when the youth was possessed by Soul Edge.
- Zasalamel's ending is the second to involve modern times, the first one being Soul Edge's ending in Soul Edge. Also, in the ending, he strongly resembles Cobra Bubbles, a character from Disney's Lilo and Stitch series.
- Even though he does not appear in game, his Soulcalibur IV player 1 character model was found when the games files were hacked, possibly hinting he was planned to appear in the game, but was left out due to time constraints, or was intended to be DLC.
- Zasalamel, Talim, Yun-seong and Rock are the only characters not to appear and not to have a successor to replace them.
- In addition, Zasalamel's weapon is represented by one of the statues on Algol's stage.
- Soulcalibur III (Playable character)
- Soulcalibur IV (Unlockable character, if bought in Character Creation mode for 4000 gold)
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (Playable character)
- Soulcalibur VI (Playable Character)
|Main characters in the Soul series|
|Aeon Calcos | Algol | Amy | Astaroth (Original, Mass Produced) | Cassandra | Cervantes | Charade | Dampierre | Edge Master | Hilde | Hwang | Ivy | Kilik | Leixia | Li Long | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Natsu | Necrid | Olcadan | Patroklos (α Patroklos) | Pyrrha (Pyrrha Ω) | Raphael | Rock | Seong Han-myeong | Seong Mi-na | Setsuka | Siegfried | Sophitia | Soul Calibur (Elysium) | Soul Edge (Inferno, Nightmare, Night Terror) | Taki | Talim | Tira | Viola | Voldo | Xianghua | Xiba | Yoshimitsu (First, Second) | Yun-seong | Zasalamel (Abyss) | Z.W.E.I.|