- "My abyss... shall take you!"
- — Zasalamel
His nickname is The Dark Side of Karma.
Zasalamel was born into a clan called the Guardians of the Spirit Sword. Though an excellent warrior, he was arrogant, and broke his clan's rule never to use the sword after which they were named. As a consequence of his diobedience, both his arms were fractured, and he was cast out. Still he remained defiant, and began gathering knowledge of the ancient arts in the hope of discovering the secret of resurrection. Over time, Zasalanel became the greatest wizard of his generation. However, he had made a grave misjudgment about what exactly resurrection entailed... The pain of death at the moment of each rebirth was far more intense than any he had imagined. Alas, even death itself was to be no release...
The cost of immortality was never knowing the sweet release of death. Over time, Zasalamel forgot the feeling of joy, until all he desired was eternal rest. In the hopes of escaping the endless cycle, he once wielded Soul Edge. However, the spell was still not broken, and he once again returned to the land of the living. Around that time, his family, who had sworn to protect the spirit sword, had weakened and fallen apart. Soul Calibur’s whereabouts were a mystery. But the newly reborn Zasalamel knew that the sword was not lost. If he could get his hands on both the blade and the cursed sword, he could finally taste a real death. In order to fulfill his aims, he operated in secret. All the while, though, he had a feeling he could not shake… Someone or something was urging him to live… In the short moment between life and death, he saw a bright future for the world, and it brought hope to his heart. He wanted to see that bright future realized. It was time to stop fixating on death. Though it was only his intuition, he now saw before him in a world full of potential. Perhaps his beacon of hope was a “memory” of sorts, a gift to himself sent back from the future...
Zasalamel, in his current incarnation, appears as a bald dark-skinned man with a muscular build. His left eye glows yellow as means of containing his ever-reincarnating soul.
He wears a brand new costume, which also highly influenced by his previous installments. Its color swap is mainly black.
Patch 1.40 add two more color swaps. One that is mainly red and another that is inspired by his Soulcalibur III Costume 2.
Zasalamel's self-taught style takes full advantage of the scythe's length in order to be deadly at any range. The key to victory for its practitioners call for a unique dependence on curses to draw their enemies in, as well as magic that can stop the time flow. 
The Voice from the Abyss: While slow, it has guard impact (GI) properties. Even if the opponent guards, the user will get to react before them, giving a good opportunity to curse them by dragging an opponent close from a distance and then strike. If the opponent anticipates the strategy, and performs a quick attack, defend it with critical edge.
Zasalamel unleashes a cursed shockwave that stops time while his opponent is airborne. He then slashes his scythe leftwards, faces away from the opponent and snaps his finger to resume time, damaging the opponent in the process.
- "Wise choice." - 1P Character Selection
- "It is time." - 2P Character Selection
- "Let the power of my words... sink into your soul!"
- "Well then... Let us begin as planned."
- "So, you're still floundering, mortal."
- "Hmph... I knew you would say that."
- "Do not be a fool."
- "I knew it!"
- "How dare you!"
- "Fall and flee!"
- "I know you!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge
- "Recklessness only tempts death." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge
- "Now then, for my finishing touch" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge with three curses
- "What are you hiding?" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Xianghua
- "That sword! Surely not..." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge from Xianghua
- "The Three Sacred Treasures. At last." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Kilik
- "I recognize that staff." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge from Kilik
- "I see you are consumed by power." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against a Soul Charged Kilik
- "The evil sword must be involved." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge from a Soul Charged Kilik
- "So you are Nightmare." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Siegfried
- "Your blade is tinged with regret." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge from Siegfried
- "I know all about you." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare
- "You are a slave to the sword!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge from Nightmare
- "I wasn't expecting that hairstyle." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Maxi
- "Effortless!" — Spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "Get a grip!" — Spoken during a counter Reversal Edge
- "Such a pity!" — Spoken during a counter Reversal Edge
- "I cannot abide this!" — Spoken during a counter Reversal Edge
- "Know the power of the abyss!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Dare you peer into the abyss!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health
- "I shall leave your hope in shreds." — Spoken during Decisive Round
- "Do not get ahead of yourself."
- "This should be an interesting fight!" — Spoken when starting Final Round
- "What do you hope to achieve?" — Spoken during Decisive Round against Siegfried or Kilik
- "Over here!"
- "Fly away!"
- "I've waited for this!" — Spoken when activating Critical Edge
- "My abyss... shall take you!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Satisfied now?" — Spoken at end of Critical Edge
- "Stubborn fool." — Spoken at end of Critical Edge against Nightmare or Inferno
- "Just as it is written." — Spoken at end of KO Critical Edge
- "I shall continue with my quest... until I find what I seek."
- "Your purpose has ended. You may die now."
- "It was decided from the start!"
- "Start again anew once you're reborn."
- "Fate was too much of a burden for you." — Spoken after defeating Siegfried, himself, or Kilik
- "Sleep... for eternity!"
- "Do not waste your time!" — Spoken during Ereskigal the Ruthless throw against Nightmare or Inferno
- "You should die!"
- "You're mine!"
- "Know your place."
- "Here... Take this!"
- "Know... my curse!"
- "Run!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy once
- "Apart of you!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy twice
- "Perfect!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy thrice
- "Let's go!" — Spoken when stopping time with one curse
- "Unleash!" — Spoken when stopping time with two curses
- "Stay frozen!" — Spoken when stopping time with three curses
- "This is your... fate."
- "You fool."
- "Playtime... is over!"
- "My journey must start again." — Standing KO
- "I shall live again." — Time up
- "I cannot see..." — Spoken during Geralt's Axii sign
- "You are indeed strong." — Suffering a Guard Crush
- "You impress me." — Suffering a Guard Crush
- "I have yet to realize my plans!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "A schemer caught in his own scheme!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "Ahahaha! You puppet." — Taunt against Nightmare
- "Ready, Soul Edge?" — Taunt against Inferno
- "Hmph... Whelp." — Taunt against Siegfried and Kilik
- "Ignorance...is lamentable." — Taunt
- "So, is that it?" — Post-match taunt
- "Do your worst!" — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge
- "You are out of your league." — Spoken when blocking Reversal Edge with enemy on low health
- "Are you done playing?"
- "You cannot kill me!"
- "I wish this was the end..."
- "Slay me if you can!"
- "Green!" — Spoken during Guard Impact
- "Not good!" — Spoken during Guard Impact
- "But how?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "Tricky." — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "I see." — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "Huh?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact
- "What?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact
- "Mediocre!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Not enough!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- Some of his moves including his Critical Edge were inherited and derived from Abyss.
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|