- "My abyss... shall take you!"
- — Zasalamel
His nickname is The Dark Side of Karma.
Zasalamel was born into a clan called the Guardians of the Spirit Sword. Though an excellent warrior, he was arrogant, and broke his clan's rule never to use the sword after which they were named. As a consequence of his diobedience, both his arms were fractured, and he was cast out. Still he remained defiant, and began gathering knowledge of the ancient arts in the hope of discovering the secret of resurrection. Over time, Zasalanel became the greatest wizard of his generation. However, he had made a grave misjudgment about what exactly resurrection entailed... The pain of death at the moment of each rebirth was far more intense than any he had imagined. Alas, even death itself was to be no release...
The cost of immortality was never knowing the sweet release of death. Over time, Zasalamel forgot the feeling of joy, until all he desired was eternal rest. In the hopes of escaping the endless cycle, he once wielded Soul Edge. However, the spell was still not broken, and he once again returned to the land of the living. Around that time, his family, who had sworn to protect the spirit sword, had weakened and fallen apart. Soul Calibur’s whereabouts were a mystery. But the newly reborn Zasalamel knew that the sword was not lost. If he could get his hands on both the blade and the cursed sword, he could finally taste a real death. In order to fulfill his aims, he operated in secret. All the while, though, he had a feeling he could not shake… Someone or something was urging him to live… In the short moment between life and death, he saw a bright future for the world, and it brought hope to his heart. He wanted to see that bright future realized. It was time to stop fixating on death. Though it was only his intuition, he now saw before him in a world full of potential. Perhaps his beacon of hope was a “memory” of sorts, a gift to himself sent back from the future...
Other Soul Chronicles
Zasalamel encountered Geralt as the Witcher was just teleported from his world. He then battled the Witcher to ascertain his power, and then quietly took his leave.
A few years after Nightmare’s defeat, Zasalamel found Tira looking for the Azure Knight in Ostrheinsburg. After a fight, he revealed the true nature of Soul Edge, as the sword manipulated Nightmare to collect human souls for power. Zasalamel them retreated, as he considered Tira at least worthy of pursuing the cursed sword.
After the Conduit experienced a nightmare, Zasalamel directed them to harness the power of the astral fissures to survive the Evil Seed. As they closed the fissure, he gave the Conduit a spirit scale to show them their balance towards chaos or order. When the Conduit faced Azwel, Zasalamel intervened and helped the Conduit discover Azwel’s goals of creating the “Ultimate Seed.” Later, after the Conduit defeated Azwel and stopped the Ultimate Seed, Zasalamel congratulated them on saving the world. But Zasalamel was soon sought by the Conduit again after they learned that the Black Demon is Grøh. After hearing of their promise to stop Grøh if he became Malfested, Zasalamel suggested that they use the sword they wielded to defeat Azwel, either Soul Edge or Soul Calibur.
Zasalamel, in his current incarnation, appears as a bald dark-skinned man with a muscular build. His left eye glows yellow as means of containing his ever-reincarnating soul.
To everyone he meets, Zasalamel displays an aloof yet cunning personality, mainly showing that he is neutral in the conflict and gives information only to those he considers worthy. But in reality, he has an ambition to be a leader for mankind, thanks to the visions he received from his original future self. Thus, Zasalamel is not afraid to manipulate others for his goals.
In Libra of Souls, Zasalamel initially acts as a guide the Conduit to stop Azwel. But afterwards, he starts to reveal his own agenda for helping them on their quest.
He wears a brand new white-hooded costume, which is also highly influenced by his previous installments.
His Color 2 is mainly black.
His Color 3 is mainly red.
His Color 4 is inspired by his second outfit from Soulcalibur III.
Weapon & Style
Zasalamel's self-taught style takes full advantage of the scythe's length in order to be deadly at any range. The key to victory for its practitioners call for a unique dependence on curses to draw their enemies in, as well as magic that can stop the time flow. 
No matter how many lives he lives, Zasalamel can always be seen with a scythe in hand. Whenever he is reborn and the memories of his past lives return, he collects Kafziel, which his previous incarnation has always hidden away. The weapon’s name means “angel of death,” and its curved edge has tasted oceans of blood in the service of his master.
Zasalamel is the mastermind behind a thousand and one plots and intrigues, but he does not just pull strings from afar—whenever something needs doing, he does it himself. Any who believe themselves clever or strong enough to meddle in the currents of history will find themselves at odds with this seasoned manipulator. But pawn or king, Zasalamel will not hesitate to bring his scythe to bear and eliminate a piece he deems irrelevant to his intricate plans.
Zasalamel’s fighting techniques originates from those passed down by the Guardians of the Spirit Sword. However, he has refined his technique over the course of countless lives and innumerable battles, to the point where it’s difficult to detect any trace of his style’s origins.
Although the dignified sweeps of his massive scythe are what first impresses about his form, he also makes use of his extensive knowledge of magic during battle. The ancient curses he weaves around his enemies are impossible to detect until their power is at its peak—but by then, it’s far too late, and with a snap of his fingers it ushers his victims to their demise. In short, Zasalamel’s unique style is all his own, and likely impossible for the average person to master.
Zasalamel likes to carefully evaluate his opponent, all while slowly, ever so slowly, backing them into a corner from which they cannot escape. The methodical way he stalks his prey, and the inevitable conclusion to finding him your foe, makes his seem like an incarnation of the Grim Reaper himself. If, somehow, an opponent is able to escape Zasalamel’s many curses and traps and even land a blow, they may end up witnessing the terrifying abyssal form that Zasalamel keeps locked hidden within.
The Voice from the Abyss: While slow, it has guard impact (GI) properties. Even if the opponent guards, the user will get to react before them, giving a good opportunity to curse them by dragging an opponent close from a distance and then strike. If the opponent anticipates the strategy, and performs a quick attack, defend it with critical edge.
Zasalamel unleashes a cursed shockwave that stops time while his opponent is airborne. He then slashes his scythe leftwards, faces away from the opponent and snaps his finger to resume time, damaging the opponent in the process.
- "Wise choice." - 1P Character Selection
- "It is time." - 2P Character Selection
- "Let the power of my words... sink into your soul!"
- "Well then... Let us begin as planned."
- "So, you're still floundering, mortal."
- "Hmph... I knew you would say that."
- "Do not be a fool."
- "I knew it!"
- "How dare you!"
- "Fall and flee!"
- "I know you!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge (offensive quote)
- "Recklessness only tempts death." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge (offensive quote)
- "Now then, for my finishing touch" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge with three curses
- "What are you hiding?" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Xianghua (offensive quote)
- "That sword! Surely not..." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Xianghua (defensive quote)
- "The Three Sacred Treasures. At last." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Kilik (offensive quote)
- "I recognize that staff." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Kilik (defensive quote)
- "I see you are consumed by power." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against a Soul Charged Kilik (offensive quote)
- "The evil sword must be involved." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against a Soul Charged Kilik (defensive quote)
- "So you are Nightmare." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Siegfried (offensive quote)
- "Your blade is tinged with regret." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge against Siegfried (defensive quote)
- "I know all about you." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare (offensive quote)
- "You are a slave to the sword!" — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Nightmare (defensive quote)
- "I wasn't expecting that hairstyle." — Spoken when starting Reversal Edge against Maxi (offensive quote)
- "Effortless!" — Spoken when dodging a Reversal Edge
- "Get a grip!" — Spoken when dodging Reversal Edge
- "Such a pity!" — Spoken during a successful Reversal Edge
- "I cannot abide this!" — Spoken during a successful Reversal Edge
- "Know the power... of the abyss!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge
- "Dare you peer... into the abyss!" — Spoken when activating Soul Charge on low health
- "I shall leave your hope in shreds." — Spoken during Decisive Round
- "Do not get ahead of yourself." — Spoken when starting Final Round
- "This should be an interesting fight!" — Spoken during Decisive Round against Nightmare
- "What do you hope to achieve?" — Spoken during Decisive Round against Siegfried or Kilik
- "Over here!"
- "Fly away!"
- "I've waited for this!" — Spoken when activating Critical Edge
- "Time...to reel!" — Spoken when activating Critical Edge with three curses
- "My abyss... shall take you!" — Spoken during Critical Edge
- "Satisfied now?" — Spoken at end of Critical Edge
- "This is too easy." — Spoken at end of Critical Edge against Nightmare
- "Stubborn fool." — Spoken at end of Critical Edge against Inferno
- "Just as it is written." — Spoken at end of KO Critical Edge
- "I shall continue with my quest... until I find what I seek."
- "Your purpose has ended. You may die now."
- "It was decided from the start!"
- "Start again anew once you're reborn."
- "Fate was too much of a burden for you." — Spoken after defeating Siegfried, himself, or Kilik
- "Sleep... for eternity!"
- "Do not waste your time!" — Spoken during Ereskigal the Ruthless throw against Nightmare or Inferno
- "Your fate is decided!" — Spoken during Marduk the Tempest throw against Nightmare or Inferno
- "You shall die!"
- "You're mine!"
- "Know your place."
- "Here... Take this!"
- "Know... my curse!"
- "Run!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy once
- "Apart of you!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy twice
- "Perfect!" — Spoken when cursing the enemy thrice
- "Let's go!" — Spoken when stopping time with one curse
- "Unleash!" — Spoken when stopping time with two curses
- "Stay frozen!" — Spoken when stopping time with three curses
- "This is your... fate."
- "You fool."
- "Playtime... is over!"
- "My journey must start again." — Standing KO
- "I shall live again." — Time up
- "I cannot see..." — Spoken during Geralt's Axii Glyph
- "You are indeed strong." — Suffering a Guard Crush
- "You impress me." — Suffering a Guard Crush
- "I have yet to realize my plans!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "A schemer caught in his own scheme!" — Suffering a Ring Out
- "Ahahaha! You puppet." — Taunt against Nightmare
- "Ready, Soul Edge?" — Taunt against Inferno
- "Hmph... Whelp." — Taunt against Siegfried and Kilik
- "Ignorance...is lamentable." — Taunt
- "So, is that it?" — Post-match taunt
- "Do your worst!" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge (defensive quote)
- "You are out of your league." — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge with enemy on low health (defensive quote)
- "Are you done playing?" — Spoken when activating Reversal Edge while low on health (defensive quote)
- "You cannot kill me!"
- "I wish this was the end..."
- "Slay me if you can!"
- "Green!" — Spoken during Guard Impact
- "Not good!" — Spoken during Guard Impact
- "But how?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "Tricky." — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "I see." — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact while low on health
- "Huh?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact
- "What?" — Spoken when missing a Guard Impact
- "Mediocre!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- "Not enough!" — Spoken during Reversal Edge deflection
- Received a vision from his original timeline counterpart of a bright future
- Directed Tira to follow Nightmare for Soul Edge
- Fought Geralt to ascertain his power
- Guided the Conduit on their journey to close the astral fissures and stop Azwel
|Main Characters in the New Timeline of the Soul series|
|Amy | Astaroth | Azwel | Cassandra | Cervantes | Grøh | Hilde | Inferno | Ivy | Kilik | Maxi | Mitsurugi | Nightmare | Raphael | Seong Mi-na | Siegfried | Sophitia | Taki | Talim | Tira | Voldo | Xianghua | Yoshimitsu | Zasalamel|